Moral responsibility.

by nicolaou 168 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Cofty, nice red herring. This thread is about moral responsibility. I look forward to addressing any of your assumptions on topic related threads.

Now, like I asked you before - do you have any other sources for your morality other than what you have already presented that you'd like to discuss? Or, is that about it?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Words like murder, kidnap, and rape contain the idea of wrongfulness already in the definition of the term. If someone kills someone else then various terms may apply such as self defence, manslaughter, or murder. If the killing isn’t judged to be wrong in the situation then we simply don’t call it murder. So asking whether murder is always wrong is tautologous. Murder is just a word we use when we’ve already decided the killing was wrong. It’s like asking if all boring books are boring, or all long books are long, or all funny books are funny. Questions like “is murder always wrong” aren’t meaningful questions.

• cofty
    cofty

SB - We haven't even began to discuss the foundation for godless morality. You refuse to talk about it despite your constant requests to talk about it.

Morals are simply the name we give to the way we choose to act towards other conscious creatures.

Morals can be judged on the basis of the effect our words and actions have on others. Do they promote the flourishing of others or not?

Often the answer is obvious such as in the OP; other times it is complex and involves conflicting interests.

Pretending there is some divine law-giver who decides adds nothing useful. Especially when it turns out that this ultimate source of morality prescribes actions that we all find repulsive.

You have so far made no effort to respond to these simple introductory points. Do you want a conversation or not?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    Morals are simply the name we give to the way we choose to act towards other conscious creatures.

Got it.

So, allow me to clarify a bit. Are you saying that in your view all of our moral choices are equal? Or, is there such a thing as objective morality?

• cofty
    cofty

ignore - see below

• cofty
    cofty

I'm not being pedantic but I need you to define your terms.

What do you mean by 'equal' and precisely what do you mean by 'objective morality'?

How does 'objective morality' differ from 'absolute morality' from your perspective?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Why don't you define objective morality? You've already said that the term: "morals" is simply descriptive in nature. So, in your view does objective morality (as opposed to subjective morality) exist?

• cofty
    cofty

You asked me - 'is there such a thing as objective morality?'

Now you need to define the terms before I can answer.

• cofty
    cofty

Stop adding to your posts after I have answered it makes conversation impossible

• cofty
    cofty
    You've already said that the term: "morals" is simply descriptive in nature.

No I didn't what does that even mean?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit