Priming the Pump

by days of future passed 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

The definition of priming the pump, is put to water manually into the casing of the pump so that it will create a seal and draw the water up. It's a term used for economics but I like to use it when I am trying to hopefully help a JW, escape. I view it as a long term endeavor.

Whenever there are videos for upcoming conventions, I'll try to work the main theme into a conversation with them. Since they haven't seen the videos, they don't know that I'm "priming the pump" by putting a realistic spin on the info in them. So that when they do see the vids, there might be a hmmm? moment.

The WT does this themselves. All the questions and accusations that sincere JW's (and ex JW's) send or phone into them, are examined. Are ex Jw's convincing the still in's that there is something wrong and it bothered their conscience? An article comes out telling all the regular JW's that following their own conscience is bad, you can't trust it but you can trust the GB's conscience. So the WT effectively strikes first, priming the JW mind to reject a reasonable argument.

So I decided that one stone after the other, can make a bridge. And if I can strike first by using the vids that people leak here, I will.

Has anyone else tried this?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Has anyone else tried this?

No, but my question is, what exactly do you want to accomplish with that? What's in it for you? Why do you have a need to convince others?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    What's in it for you?

Can only answer for myself here but I really don't want anyone else to waste opportunities the way I have. Even if I can get them to buck the trend by, for example, not turning down the chance to get an education. I don't care about their faith, per sa.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Nothing for me. If they really aren't interested in escaping, then nothing I say will help them. I just feel for them as people.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog
    What's in it for us? Speaking for myself, and possibly days of future passed, its a great way to help people improve their lives. Even if they never fully escape, we may plant a seed that makes their quality of life, critical thinking skills, opportunities and relationships with others that much better, even by unshackling a little bit of their indoctrination. It also makes our time in the cult worthwhile, helping more people than we ever did going door to door.
  • stillin
    stillin

When I learned here, a few years ago, that there were going to be kiosks at the assemblies to make contributions with your credit card, I dropped into a conversation with my wife how the churches of Christendom have this arrangement. She didn't know that the JW's had started doing this so she expressed disgust at Christendom's greed. Then, voila! There they were at the Sacred JW convention!

Advance notice always has potential usefulness.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

stillin - yes that is exactly what I'm going for. Maybe it means she will give less money and be more critical of the begging for money.

neat blue dog - I agree. If you can help just a little for one person, it might spread to others too. In the long run, who knows what might it accomplish?

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Can only answer for myself here but I really don't want anyone else to waste opportunities the way I have. Even if I can get them to buck the trend by, for example, not turning down the chance to get an education. I don't care about their faith, per sa.

Thanks you for the clarification. That's perfectly understandable and kind. One thing to consider, however, is that people are in that organization for many reasons, and many of those reasons have absolutely nothing to do with their teachings. Furthermore, a lot of people become very angry, dysfunctional, depressed, even suicidal once they find that they have wasted time and energy, and that they have made important life decisions based on the WT nonsense. Showing them TTATT is not enough. What kind of follow up or further support can you provide?

Is there a plan to address those? To many people in there, since some cannot even articulate all their teachings because that's not what they are there for, how do you plan to help them? Again, many people are not there because of what they teach, but for what they FEEL. Some know that a lot of what they say makes no sense, but they stay JWs because:

• They want to protect their investment
    • To hold onto family, or to keep the family together
    • Because their relationships can be real and solid
    • Pride, or to avoid embarrassment
    • Fear of what awaits outside of what has become their comfort zone

Showing them logic and great reasons to dismiss the WT teachings addresses only one of the many reasons why some JWs remain JWs. Just look at some of the posts of people here who are PIMO. Most can't care less about their teachings. They are not there because they believe in that organization.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

One more thing: as noble as you might think that what you are doing is, you can also cause harm to people. If you do not acknowledge that your greatly-intended thoughts and actions can cause harm, can be misconstrued, can backfire, and can hurt other people, you will be doing a disservice.

Remember: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. There are reasons why that saying exists. Good luck.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Remember: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. There are reasons why that saying exists. Good luck

Likewise

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit