Should a Christian celebrate Christmas?

by Samsie 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Judgerussellford
    Judgerussellford

I gotta agree with most everyone. I don't because I hate all holidays. Waste of time money and energy to decorate cook and purchase things people don't like to impress people You don't like. My exleriance anyway. Besides the paganism in it, we all make our own choices and have our own account to pay before the father. So if you apply Roman's 12 2 to anything you have a question on then with proper research and study you will know how to worship with a clean conscience weather it agrees with anyone else or not based on the milk, or solid spiritual food you take in.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SAMSIE:

Welcome to the forum.

I am somebody not raised a JW so my feelings about holidays are different from most people here. I associate my childhood and pre-JW life as a happy time. I am forever grateful that we celebrated Christmas. I love the smells of the tree and the wonderful smells of cooking and baking, the lights and colors, seeing relatives and the excitement of opening presents.

The Witnesses prevent people from celebrating holidays and claim it’s because they are ‘pagan’. Well, everything is pagan - from the days of the week to wedding rings. Nah, the REAL reason is they don’t want you associating with non-JW friends and relatives. They are afraid that if you experience unconditional love and friendship from people who aren’t judging you - you might not want the JW religion anymore!

It is all about isolating you from people not in the religion.

Of course I celebrate it now..When I left the JW religion the first thing I did was make contact with long lost relatives before it was too late. I am so happy I was able to do so.

• Longlivetherenegades
    Longlivetherenegades

Colossians 2:16- 19 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind. 19 They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

Question..........

1. Please will celebrating someone who brought you salvation from sin and death cause you to lose your CONNECTION WITH THE HEAD?

2. Paul had a warning for those Such a person or persons who go into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with IDLE NOTIONS by their UNSPIRITUAL MIND.

What does idle notions mean?

1 unemployed or unoccupied; inactive
    2 not operating or being used
    3 (of money) not being used to earn interest or dividends
    4 not wanting to work; lazy
    5 usually prenominal frivolous or trivial
    idle pleasures
    6 ineffective or powerless; fruitless; vain
    7 without basis; unfounded

a. What is active about those pagan celebrations associated with the celebrations of Christmas in recent times?

b. How many people do you see get themselves occupied or employed with those pagan celebrations?

c. Has Paul not said those things celebrated or done to idols ineffective, powerless, or vain?

1 Corinthians 8 Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that “We all possess knowledge.” But knowledge puffs up while love builds up. 2 Those who think they know something do not yet know as they ought to know. 3 But whoever loves God is known by God.

4 So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

What is the pagan celebration in a person saying in his own heart, mind and soul that there his one Lord - - - - - Jesus Christ and choose to celebrate on a day that coincides with the day a particular IDOL which is vain, ineffective and unemployed in the heart, mind and soul of this person is equally celebrated?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit