Should a Christian celebrate Christmas?

by Samsie 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Samsie
    Samsie

Hello, I'm new here and have woken up to the real truth concerning the org. I'm sort of fading away at the moment...

I need help with something, I used to as a child celebrate Christmas and have always had amazing memories of it (My husband hasn't as he was born into the org) but I gave it up when I learnt the "truth". My interest was only in pleasing God and still is.

I no longer consider myself a JW, but I do consider myself a Christian. The thing is, I feel like I desperately want to celebrate Christmas again and want my daughter to experience it, BUT I can't help but feel so conflicted and guilty, because it's pagan right? So how can it be right to? I just want to please God and do the right thing. Can any Christians please give me any advice? I don't want to be like the israelites and do what is wrong in God's eyes. I haven't left the org just to turn to a life where I feel free to sin...I still believe in the bible and God.

Thank you

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Samsie,

Welcome to the forum.!

Thank God you are awake and still believe in Jesus Christ, Son of God and Saviour of mankind who loves you to death, literally.

Let me tell you that celebrating Christ's birth is biblical. The angels celebrated and the shepherds celebrated. Do we need to know the right day of the year to celebrate..No we do not. You are free to join the angels any day of the year. And do not stop at at his birth. Celebrate His perfect life; celebrate His words, His sacrificial death His promises and His gift of life with your name on it.

Reclaim evey day of the year for Jehovah and don't worry about what pagans thought or did thousands of years ago. Remember what He did and act on that.

Only the pagans and the religious rulers refused to celebrate His birth

Oh yes, and celebrate you children's birthdays as well giving thanks to God for them.

• Smiles
    Smiles

We reject WT because it weaved myth, falsehood and deceit into what should was presented as holy and sacred.

Why would we turn away from WT bunk just then embrace alternative myth, falsehood, and deceit because it might be a new or fun experience...

From the frying pan into the fire.

Same junk, new package.

• Simon
    Simon

Christian

Christmas

I mean, it is only 2 letters off ... so based purely on the Levenshtein Distance - yes

My reasoning: does the custom involve a roast dinner, with yorkshire pudding, stuffing, gravy, brussels sprouts, carrots and swede, roast tatties? Who do I have to pretend to worship to get in on this ...

• shadowclone
    shadowclone

You already know the answer, you just don't like it . . .

• Smiles
    Smiles

lol @ Simon

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Angels celebrated his birthday and weren't disfellowshipped for it.

Here's a defense of the Dec. 25th date.

• Samsie
    Samsie

Thank you for your replies.

I found the 'defense of the DEC 25th' article an interesting read 👍

• Biahi
    Biahi

I read somewhere that when the Christians began celebrating Christmas, it replaced the Roman feast of saturnalia, and was considered a victory of Christianity over paganism. Go ahead, celebrate, and give your children those happy memories so many of us were deprived of. And there’s nothing wrong with birthdays either.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Hello Samsie.

Do whatever you want as long as it causes no harm to anyone else.

You're free of the rules and regulations of an abusive controlling cult.

Celebrate that freedom. Christmas too if you want.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit