"M" is for "Memorial"

by OnTheWayOut 13 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Many weeks ago, I apparently put "M" on today's date- Wednesday, March 23rd, in my GOOGLE Calendar. Just "M"

It was supposed to remind me that the Memorial that Jehovah's Witnesses observe would be held today. I was flipping through my calendar this past weekend and asked my wife "What in the world is 'M' for (that day)?" She knew without really stopping to think. "It must be the Memorial."

Stay out long enough and you won't even remember. It's sort of like when an active JW forgets birthdays and holidays and accidentally wears green on St. Patrick's Day.

It also helped me to forget because early this year, I read some link where "they" were going to make a special effort to invite inactive ones to the Memorial this year. It was supposed to be such a special effort that I was sure I would be invited. Well, I should remember how thrilled the average JW is in their special efforts. Especially the elders, as I am sure that rumors of my powers of persuasion would prevent anyone spiritually weaker than an elder to call upon me. HA!

I will maybe go see a movie or just be out of the house this evening.

So I just wanted a forum thread about not going, not remembering, or telling family why you aren't going, or even going just to appease a loved one. Tell me about your day today and what you feel or have to deal with.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

This will be my first time not attending. Got the ol' 2-elder visit and they practically begged me to come (lots of "I'd really love to see you there" sort of thing, I mostly just replied "ok" in a way that said "that doesn't change anything") but I told them I wasn't planning on attending.

Don't have anything planned for the evening. Will probably just treat it like another day, only the wife won't be home for part of it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    OneEyedJoe, I totally relate. You take me back like 8 years.
  • JRK
    JRK

Yeah I know it is that time of year. At least I didn't get a call from Brothers Shithead and F**kstain this year.

JK

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    JRK, I have tried to have that same upbeat attitude about them not calling ever since my second year out when they did not call. It's a good thing.
  • Poztate
    Poztate

I posted about the "special effort" that Elders were going to make to invite all DF'ed DA'ed and Faders to Memorial this year. I thought my door bell would be ringing constantly in their efforts to bring me back into the fold.

The reality...one phone call that having caller display I did not pick up on.He left no message.It is now nine hours until Memorial and still waiting for that knock on the door. I guess I am just not worthy enough for a call. LOL

• Lostwun
    Lostwun

Lol I just got a reminder text message about the memorial tonight from the same elder who claimed he didnt have my phone number when I caught him and his elder pal stalking out my place 3 weeks prior.

Im trying to think of a whitty reply to respond back to it but I might just ignore it and go on with my day.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Poztate, it's a good thing. It's a good thing. Try saying it as a mantra. I didn't get the call, but an elderly lady from the local Spanish congregation rang and rang my bell to give me an invitation on Saturday. But she didn't know about the evil fader living here.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Lostwun, I was trying to organize JRK and me going to an AC/DC concert tonight and then, if invited, having such a far-from-acceptable-yet-honest excuse. Well, AC/DC had to cancel the concert and it fell through anyway as an excuse. You know what- zing him with a good one. "So sorry, but I am cutting down on wine and crackers."
  • undercover
    undercover
    I didn't have a clue when the M was until the other day when someone at work that had a Friday deadline said the company was closed that day. I asked why we would be closed and they said, 'well duh! Easter weekend. It's Good Friday'. That's when I realized it must also be M week, and went back and looked at the invite that a family member left at the house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit