How did you feel when they eliminated the Con. Book Study?

by Freeandclear 53 Replies latest jw friends

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

I could wear a sweater instead of a freaking monkey suit - so that was good.

Got to sit on a comfy couch instead of a hard-ass chair - so that was good.

Got to cuddle my kids to sleep - so that was good.

Snack night once a month - so that was good.

Only one hour, instead of two - so that was good.

Conductor was dumber than a sack of hammers - oh, well.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Since I was already out as a "fader" it didn't make any difference to me.

However, I remember in the old days them saying the book studies in people's homes were going to be important in time of "persecution" when they expected the halls to be "padlocked by the authorities"! So, this was another example of the religion being full of bullshit as far as I was concerned.

I mentioned my thought to an active JW and they said that perhaps the religion would reinstate the home book studies if need be. Yeah, whatever.

I have some pleasant memories of the home bookstudy, although I don't miss poor reading skills. It was excruciating sometimes to listen to some semi-literate brother!

I'm sure the religion did away with the home bookstudy for legal reasons:... liability should somebody fall;...because they could not control the free speech and informality people had there and;...also, I suspect, because some pedo might like it for other reasons.

Everything now has to be under the watchful eyes of the elders in the hall.

• millie210
    millie210

The book study was as close as the religion ever got to anything warm and sociable in a religion sanctioned way.

So they got rid of it.

Of course they did!

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I left before the Isiah books came out. I think the last book study I went to was the greatest man book. That was around 1999 or so. I was basically inactive in 95 but would attend the book studies once in a while at an elder's house. It was far more enjoyable than the kingdom hall.

I was long gone by the time they canceled it, but glad for my mother, as it one less bs she has to attend.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

For me that meeting was so difficult. Parking was always a problem. My car would get blocked in and as a janitor I needed to leave and get to work. People would be so annoyed at having to jockey cars for me.

Temperature was always either too hot or too cold in the houses.

Finally I just began attending at the KH and nobody said anything. Never a problem parking or leaving or sweating or freezing.

But the best part was when it was discontinued and we had the evening for our own life!

Marina

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    I thought it was the stupidest thing they could do. Book studies were the only way people ever really got close to other people. If you talk to people at the kingdom Hall, it was most likely people who were in your book study or had once been in your book study. What do people do now?? They leave easier than they used to!! Cuz they aren't getting as close to other people! Less familial feelings, less pressure to stay if there are fewer that you really care about.I agree the Isaiah books were simply hell. 1919. 1919. 1919. Thought i was gonna scream. With most books, it was drudgery for sure and the best part was when bookstudy was OVER but when it was over it was nice.
  • zeb
    zeb

I wondered why it was boom gone. The elders did too then later came out with the wt.. bs that it was to enable 'family study night'.

My understanding in more recent times says the book study was dropped to prevent the abuse of children in the homes of paedophiles. I have no link for this.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    I was and am sad about it. It was the nicest meeting, you got to know the others, you could ask questions, you had time to discuss things, very often there was food or cakes - I miss it.
  • Cangie
    Cangie
    I'm guessing that the book study was the meeting that resulted in the least amount of money being collected. Therefore, it became a financial waste of time to the organization to produce those books that required all that "research.". And besides...they couldn't allow people to have that much fun at a meeting.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

It was my favourite meeting. Dropping probably contributed in a small way to me becoming inactive.

Plus how they lied about "gas prices" being the reason was just ridiculous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit