Upset and Concerned!

by The Bethelite 22 Replies latest jw friends

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Ah, Ok. Well he does advertise it as “killer” bread. Why is the OP alarmed? Seems like Dave was quite up front regarding the nature of his bread.

• stillin
    stillin

Oh, THAT Dave!

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Hey Bethelite, it must be made out of Russell's miracle wheat.

RB

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

DATEM is composed of mixed esters of glycerin in which one or more of the hydroxyl groups of glycerin has been esterified by diacetyl tartaric acid and by fatty acids. The ingredient is prepared by the reaction of diacetyl tartaric anhydride with mono- and diglycerides that are derived from edible sources. The major components are a glycerol molecule with a stearic acid residue, a diacetyltartaric acid residue and a free secondary hydroxyl group. Unlike other commercially used dough emulsifiers, DATEM does not form starch complexes. Its main function is as a strengthener. Typically DATEM is 0.375 to 0.5% of the total flour weight in most commercial baking

That's about what I thought.

• Tahoe
    Tahoe

I love Dave’s! If you have not tried it yet, I highly recommend it!

• tiki
    tiki

Interesting...and so many products that start out good and healthful gradually lose that ....cheapening...increasing profits...lowering standards to make more money... The gluten celiac connection too. Sad to see a great bread losing its oomph.

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

KILLER BREAD!!!

Your right! No false advertising here at all!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

They're enriching it with more gluten to increase the shelf life. That is why we are seeing more people diagnosed with Celiac disease

That is not quite true. Nearly all commercial bakers add gluten (natural and healthful unless you HAVE celiac disease) to WHOLE GRAIN bread to keep it from becoming a dense heavy block. Refined wheat white flour, as a by product of the processing, has a higher concentration of gluten already and so white bread is lighter and airier. Also, it is just not the case that eating gluten GIVES you celiac disease. Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disease with genetic and immune trigger elements wherein the body mistakenly reacts to the harmless protein gluten. It is not caused by eating too much gluten. Gluten has been a part of human diet for many thousands of years.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Thanks for the clarification, peacefulpete. As one who suffers from Gluten Sensitivity ( Not to be confused with Celiac Disease) I find that misinformation on the subject is rampant. Just because fad dieticians and Hollywood influencers have 'picked up the cause' and pontificate on the 'evils' of gluten doesn't mean that gluten containing products are harmful for the average human being. In fact, a person that removes grains from their diet is missing out on nutrients and fiber that helps keep them healthy. People shouldn't assume that just because they have digestive issues that gluten is to blame. The only way to know if you have Celiac Disease or Gluten Sensitivity is to have your doctor perform an antiendomysial antibody blood test and or a biopsy on your small intestine.

• stillin
    stillin

I have read that some studies suggest that symptoms of gluten intolerance may, in fact, be caused by glyphosphate, the weed killer that is used way too generously to improve yields.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit