Phone call with a disfellowshipped relative

by Jules Saturn 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

So I call my grandfather who has been inactive for several decades and he's at vacation in Puerto Rico. The conversation is normal, we talk about how he's doing down there and how I am doing. Then he tells me that my cousin who I haven't seen in 5 years, is with him and asks if I would like to speak to him; I said yes. So we told each other that we missed each other and that he told me that he's happy that I don't have a stick up my butt anymore and remembers how I would get upset over every little worldly thing he would do and thought that I was going to grow up to be a real Boy Scout. I made it clear to him that to me he was family even though the rest of our family was shunning him. He told me he wish he could've made it to family events but couldn't attend due to him being disfellowshipped. I told him that if we happened to cross paths one day, that I would greet him and not ignore him. He told me that it meant a lot to hear that from me.

It was really good to hear from him even though honestly a year ago I wouldn't have thought about talking to him. And it bothers me that a year ago I probably would've ignored him like the rest of my family does. It was a clear reminder of how much the practice of disfellowshipping hurts. I can't comprehend how that is humanely possible. But as I said it was really good hearing from him.

~Jules

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Love your post. Thank you for sharing.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Great news Jules! DF'ing is a vile practice.

• Jules Saturn
    Jules Saturn

Disfellowshipping should honestly be illegal

• Stirred
    Stirred

It's good therapy to do those things that you had cognitive challenges with in past, if now you recognize that those actions were positive. lPerhaps you can call again soon and check in. Maybe you can even video chat.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Sounds like you had a great chat Jules! Finding family again is comforting. Imagine how it must have cheered your cousin up.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

That was lovely to read, so happy for you and your cousin must have been thrilled.

• midnight
    midnight

disfellowshipping is nothing less than emotional blackmail

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

bingo, midnight.

• jambon1
    jambon1

Great to hear of people breaking up bad ideas. Can't imagine how hard it is to be ignored. So cruel. Well done you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit