Basic Blood Questions For Witnesses

by Vanderhoven7 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Basic Blood Questions For Jehovah's Witnesses

Where does the Bible outlaw Blood Transfusions? (Acts 15:29 Gen.9:4)

(Orthodox Jews aren't bothered by transfusions) (If your Doctor told you to abstain from meat would he think you disobeyed him if you had an organ transplant? Isn't that what a transfusion is?)

Could it be that the dietary laws in Acts 15 were temporary, designed to help unify Jews and Gentiles. If so, your organization has had blood on its hands since 1945 and even before with it's outlawing of vaccinations and later organ transplants.

a. Which components of blood are acceptable and which ones are not? What is the scriptural basis for this distinction? (red cells, white cells, platelets, plasma banned)

b. Why plasma? Why is plasma (55% of blood volume) unacceptable when all of its elements are on the WTS acceptable list? Plasma is made up of 92 % water, albumin and fibrinogen proteins. What's the problem?

c. Why white blood cells? Why are white blood cells banned when 97 percent of the white cells are not found in the blood stream but in organ tissues that are permitted by the WTS to transplant? Of course millions are transferred with every transplant. By the way,12 times more white blood cells are found in a mother's milk than in the blood. Millions are passed from mother to child at every feeding. Seems Jehovah doesn't abide by the same rules JWs do.

d. Why is it sinful to store whole blood? Where is the biblical exception that allows JWs to have their blood stored in tubes for lab technicians to test? By the way, only blood of animals that were slain by Jews under the law was to be poured out. No one was slain/killed to acquire the blood stored in blood banks. (Lev.17:13)

e. Why is it alright to use the life-saving fractions (eg. Factors VIII and IX) derived from the donated and stored blood of others when these products were stored immorally? And aren't hemophiliac Witnesses leeches when they take these blood products without contributing to the blood bank themselves?

f. Where is the rule found that it is OK to remove blood from the body to be cleaned..as long as there is no interruption in it's flow back to the body?

g. Why did it take JWs over 70 years to find these rules out when they are so obvious to JWs now. And didn't Jesus appoint the F&DS in 1919 when JWs were still being encouraged to work for the Red Cross as alternative service and give and receive transfusions when necessary?

Now regarding the actual eating of blood:

h. Can anything that goes into the mouth of a Christian defile him? Ro.14:14, Mk 7:15

i. Assuming that there is no one around with a weak conscience, should Christians ask questions of conscience about meat served in the home of a pagan idol worshiper who is known to eat things strangled? I Cor.10:27

j. Why do you think Jews could eat animals found dead in their fields (unbled) with relative impunity. They would merely have to wash their clothes and be unclean until evening.

Leviticus 11:38,39 - "If an animal that you are allowed to eat dies, anyone who touches its carcass will be unclean till evening. Anyone who eats some of its carcass must wash their clothes, and they will be unclean till evening. Anyone who picks up the carcass must wash their clothes, and they will be unclean till evening." Also Leviticus17:14,15

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I like this one:

Why white blood cells? Why are white blood cells banned when 97 percent of the white cells are not found in the blood stream but in organ tissues that are permitted by the WTS to transplant? Of course millions are transferred with every transplant. By the way,12 times more white blood cells are found in a mother's milk than in the blood. Millions are passed from mother to child at every feeding. Seems Jehovah doesn't abide by the same rules JWs do.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Yea i must have missed that scripture that said of every animal you may eat but as for the blood you must put it into a centrifuge to separate it into separate parts. Some of those parts may be used while others are forbidden. Which parts are which is subject to change.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hopefully basic questions like this should make Witnesses conclude there may be something scripturally and logically wrong with their organization's blood policies.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Question For The readers: Do JWs distinguish between eating and transfusing blood?

Answer:

Jehovah’s Witnesses do not distinguish between eating or drinking and transfusing blood. Storing blood is also on the prohibited list. Jehovah allows some components of blood to be transfused, but not the so-called primary components including plasma, platelets, white blood cells and red blood cells . Jehovah allows blood to be removed from the body temporarily, to be cleaned for example, as long as it is returned uninterrupted in its flow.

Note however that Jehovah allows blood to be drawn and stored temporarily in test tubes to be tested later on because it only involves small amounts.

But what Jehovah doesn’t seem to understand is that all the components of plasma are on Jehovah’s acceptable list i.e. water, proteins and blood clotting fractions, factors XIII and IX.

Another thing Jehovah of the Watchtower organization doesn’t understand is that millions of white blood cells are passed from mother to baby while nursing. I don’t know why nursing mothers are not disfellowshipped for not sticking solely with formula.

Lastly, after banning organ transplants from 1967 to 1980, Jehovah changed his mind about whether this was cannibalism and decided it was OK after all. So those who died before 1980 or lost their vision needing a cornea transplant at least obeyed Jehovah’s instructions at the time.

Unfortunately Jehovah didn’t understand in 1980 that billions of white blood cells are passed from donor to recipient with every major organ transplant, so there may be direction from Jehovah to return to the old light ban.

The lesson here is always put your trust in the Faithful Slave in Warwick New York for your health and salvation.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I think that TD has so elegantly appealing to logic and reason argued the point that life is more sacred than the blood that represents it. I’ve never heard a more persuasive argument and complete coverage refuting Bible interpretation that bt are prohibited by the decree. cofty’s attempt to raise reasonable doubt is also noted. but the scripture in the decree cannot be nullified and I don’t see a way around it without violating the scripture. Putting a gallon of blood into your body and saying you are not eating it and therefore doesn’t violate the decree is not how JW decision makers see it.

• TD
    TD

I'm not a JW, but if I were, it would come down to this:

On one side of the scales, we have plain and simple, black and white, clear and direct commands regarding the sanctity of the gift of life and the severe penalty for unjustly depriving another human being of that gift.

Only something of equal weight can balance those scales.

From Uzzah to King Saul, the Bible is full of examples of those who thought a direct command could be violated based on what another command might mean and the message is crystal clear: Human speculation doesn't cut it.

For me, this was not hypothetical. (A child, a medical emergency involving blood and a believing JW wife.) I spoke with the JW parent organization directly and in the end, they acknowledged that the teaching is an interpretation.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

The Governing Bodies overstepped on blood

What the Bible says about blood:

Genesis 9:4

Only flesh with its life—its blood—you must not eat

Levitcus 17:10-14

‘If any man of the house of Israel or any foreigner who is residing in your midst eats any sort of blood, I will certainly set my face against the one who is eating the blood, and I will cut him off from among his people. 11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I myself have given it on the altar for you to make atonement for yourselves, because it is the blood that makes atonement by means of the life in it. 12 That is why I have said to the Israelites: “None of you should eat blood, and no foreigner who is residing in your midst should eat blood.”

13 “‘If one of the Israelites or some foreigner who is residing in your midst is hunting and catches a wild animal or a bird that may be eaten, he must pour its blood out and cover it with dust. 14 For the life of every sort of flesh is its blood, because the life is in it. Consequently, I said to the Israelites: “You must not eat the blood of any sort of flesh because the life of every sort of flesh is its blood. Anyone eating it will be cut off.”

In government there is a legislative branch, executive branch and judicial branch. Jehovah plays all 3 roles. But we were only given the Legislation in Genesis and Leviticus and his enforcement of them.

Act 15:20 Therefore, my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God, 20 but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood.

Acts 15:28,29 For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

Jesus gave much criticism to the Pharisees for their taking of the Laws and adding more restrictions to them beyond what was given. They made them a burden.

The first two scriptures were direct from God. But notice in Acts, the apostles acting as a Supreme Court deciding a matter altered the words in the law in their restatement of it. They used a more general ‘abstain from’ along with several prohibitions, idolatry, fornication and blood. The Greek word apechomai, which means “to hold one's self off, refrain, abstain” widens the scope of the prohibition. But I don't believe that their intent was to widen the scope of the law. They used the word ‘abstain’ with several other actions just to show a general prohibition.

Then the modern day governing body acting as a Supreme Court further expanded the law to include blood transfusions, the donating of blood or blood plasmas or the storage of blood.

The governing bodies are not lawmakers or enforcers. They just decide matters or interpret the law like courts.

I was reading a case from the Michigan Supreme Court, People v Gilbert 414 Mich 191 (1982) about the principal issue of whether a radar detector is a "radio receiving set" within the meaning of the statute prohibiting vehicles with a radio receiving set. I thought that this issue and discussion applies to the blood issue because when the law was made there was no technology of radar detectors like when the law on blood was given, there were no transfusions. But should the law be expanded to include technology?

The court stated:

“Words do not stand outside their history. They draw their meaning from it. The plain-meaning rule of statutory construction assumes that the words of a statute have the same meaning to those who authored it and to those who read it. This assumption might be accurate if linguistic usage remained static. But usage and meanings may change considerably over time, and the semantic identity between author and reader which the plain-meaning rule presupposes may be severed. A succeeding generation of readers may read meanings into a text which were never intended. Words chosen to deal with a specific problem may, as a result, be given meanings that could extend their field of application well beyond anything the author could have envisioned

“A court's responsibility when it construes a statute is to implement the purpose and intent of those who enact it. A failure to consider whether the Legislature understood the meaning of a term quite differently when a statute was enacted than it is understood today would allow a statute to be construed in a manner which extends its intended scope. The proper inquiry is not whether the term "radio receiving set" would be understood by a modern reader to include the use of radar but whether at the time the phrase was used the Legislature provided for this technological development.

“Technological innovation may not be an obstacle to the application of a statute where the new technology facilitates the achievement of ends which the Legislature clearly meant to encourage or discourage. But this is not such a case. Here the new technology is itself responsible for generating issues of public policy which the Legislature could not have foreseen or dealt with.

“In states where the Legislature has specifically addressed the problem by prohibiting the use of radar detection devices, the statutory language is clear and unambiguous. Where, as here, the enactment of the statute preceded any possible legislative consideration of the public policy issues, the proper course of action is to await legislative judgment, not to engage in an uncertain attempt to anticipate it”

“The lodestar of statutory construction is legislative purpose or intent."

“Radar had yet to be developed when the Legislature enacted this statute in 1929. During the 1930's, under the veil of military secrecy, scientists were still seeking to develop a method for producing radio signals with short wavelength characteristics so that the speed and position of an object travelling through space could be monitored. Although the term "radar" was not coined until 1942, by 1936 the United States military had successfully developed a radar system for target tracking and navigation. It was only after the Second World War that highway police began to use a simple radar transmitter for the detection of speeding vehicles, the shifting reflections from moving vehicles enabling instant and direct measurement of their velocity. Thus, at the time this statute was enacted, the Legislature was not in a position to realize that radar would come to be used as a means for detecting speeding motorists, much less to assess the defensive measures motorists would take to avoid surveillance.”

“Because courts are wary of creating crimes, penal statutes are to be strictly construed and any ambiguity is to be resolved in favor of lenity:

"`When Congress leaves to the Judiciary the task of imputing to Congress an undeclared will, the ambiguity should be resolved in favor of lenity. And this not out of any sentimental consideration, or for want of sympathy with the purpose of Congress in proscribing evil or antisocial conduct. It may fairly be said to be a presupposition of our law to resolve doubts in the enforcement of a penal code against the imposition of a harsher punishment.'" Bell v United States, 349 U.S. 81, 83; 75 S.Ct. 620; 99 L Ed 905 (1955), quoted approvingly in People v Bergevin, 406 Mich. 307, 312; 279 N.W.2d 528 (1979)."

“The scope of this statute is at least uncertain; it should be applied only to those acts which the Legislature clearly meant to proscribe. Far from resolving doubts in favor of the accused, the dissenting opinion would stretch the wording of the statute to encompass acts the Legislature not only failed to consider, but was in no position to foresee.”

To translate what was stated above to this issue:

Blood transfusions or any other modern use of blood did not exist in Bible times. But yet Jehovah could foresee their development. It is up to him to make and communicate the application of any law applying to it. When the law maker, Jehovah, left to the apostles and the Governing Body the task of imputing to Jehovah his undeclared will, the ambiguity should be resolved in favor of lenity. That is in agreement with Jesus’ teachings in this not out of any sentimental consideration, or for want of sympathy with the purpose of God's law in proscribing evil. Courts can not expand the scope of laws, but yet the Governing Bodies expanded the scope of God’s Law. It may fairly be said to be a presupposition of our law to resolve doubts in the enforcement of a penal code against the imposition of a harsher punishment as that was the teachings of Jesus in speaking against the Pharisees. Also Jehovah was called merciful, that would harmonize with resolving ambiguity in favor of lenity, where as the Governing Body would have you dead and buried forever.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

the teaching is an interpretation.

How many people read the ancient languages of the Bible and understand its poetic wording and the meaning behind it. Everything in the Bible is translation and interpretation not only the JW BT teachings. But JW claim that they are guided by God ( so do all religions but that is not the issue here) in the spiritual food ( teachings ) JW provide. If you don’t believe that, you are not JW. What TD is saying is that God is not behind the BT teaching but it is only human belief subject to error. Obviously, God punishes such presumptuousness but we haven't seen that. What a JW considers is God does not want humans to consume blood. That is what JW believe.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

And JWs considered God didn't want them to be vaccinated for decades or have an organ transplant between 1967 and 1980. How many JWs lost their lives considering what Jehovah of the Watchtower wanted.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit