A New List of the J Versions and Where to Find them

by pizzahut2023 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pizzahut2023
    pizzahut2023

12:42 Queen of Sheba… Rezinah de Isteriah

13:19 the Sower is the Son of Man

13:21 Satan causes them to forget

13:22 Satan causes him to forget

13:23 adds: As for the hundred, this is the one purified of heart and sanctified of body. As for the sixty this is the one separated from women. As for the thirty, this is the one sanctified in matrimony, in body and in heart.

13:32 the mustard seed is smaller than all garden herbs (heb) vs tiniest of all the seeds (grk)

13:45 seeking precious stones (heb) vs pearl of great value (grk)

13:55 is this not the son of the smith and Mary? (heb) vs carpenter (grk)

13:55 Jesus is said to have three, not four brothers: Joseph, Simon, and Judas. James is omitted.

13:58 “any” sign (heb) vs “many” powerful works (grk)

14:6 it is not Herodia’s daughter that was dancing, but Herod’s daughter…

14:8 instead of a “platter”, it’s a bowl

14:26 when they saw Jesus walking on water the disciples thought he was a demon

14:33 bowed down (in Hebrew), worshipped (in English, according to Howard’s translation). Compare to “did obeisance” in NWT

14:34 omitted

15:4 smites his father and mother (heb) vs speaks abusively of his father or mother (grk)

15:8 adds a YHWH that is not in the NWT: Thus YHWH said:

15:9 YHWH is given “reverence” only, not “worship”

15:21 Sodom still exists in Jesus’s time. He goes there. The grk says “Tyre and Sidon”, but the heb says “Tyre and Sodom”.

15:22 The woman was Caananite, from the lands of the East, not Phoenician

15:24 They did not send me except to the lost sheep… (Multiple people sent Jesus)

15:25 worshipped

15:26, 27 “dogs”, not “little dogs” like in the grk

15:29-31 many details are different: Jesus was standing (heb) vs sitting (grk), “lame, leprous, those who limped” (heb) vs “lame, maimed, blind, speechless” (grk).

15:32 two days (heb), three days (grk)

15:36 heb omits “and the fish”, also omits “and after offering thanks”

15:39 heb says Macedonia, grk says Magadan

16:3 heb says “the sky is dark”, grk says “fire red but gloomy”.

16:5 heb adds “When Jesus came to the sea shore he told his disciples to prepare bread”.

16:9-12 is very different. It (heb) reads:

“Do you not remember the five loaves and four thousand men how many seahs were left over? Therefore you should understand that I am not speaking of natural loaves but I am saying to you that you should beware of the behavior of the Pharisees and Saducees”

(grk in the NWT):

9 Do you not yet see the point, or do you not remember the five loaves in the case of the 5,000 and how many baskets you took up? 10 Or the seven loaves in the case of the 4,000 and how many large baskets you took up? 11 How is it you do not discern that I did not speak to you about bread? But watch out for the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees.” 12 Then they grasped that he said to watch out, not for the leaven of bread, but for the teaching of the Pharisees and Sadducees.

16:9-12, in the heb, therefore Jesus made a mistake! It was five loaves… 5000 men. Seven loaves… 4000 men…

16:13 Syria (that is, Caesarea) and the land of Philoph, called Philipos (heb) vs Caesarea Philippi (grk)

16:16 heb adds “who has come into this world”

16:18 you are a stone and I will build upon you my house of prayer. (heb) vs You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my congregation (grk, as in the NWT)

This is very significant! Because the WT denies that Jesus meant that Peter would be the rock on which he would build the congregation!!

16:18 the gates of Gehenna will not prevail against you (heb) vs the gates of the Grave will not overpower it (grk according to the NWT, “Hades” in original Greek)…

This is also very significant! The WT makes a difference between Hades/Sheol (Greek/Hebrew) and Gehenna (Hebrew)… saying that those who go to Hades/Sheol can resurrect, whereas those who go to Gehenna go to everlasting destruction. This Matthew would make this very difficult for the Watchtower!

16:23 Jesus turned, looked at him and said to him: Go away, Satan, do not disobey me, because you do not regard the word of God but the words of man. (heb). NWT: But turning his back, he said to Peter: “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you think, not God’s thoughts, but those of men.”.

Actually the Greek says that Jesus “turned around”. It is only implied that Jesus “turned his back” because he later says “Get behind me, Satan”.

16:24 cross, NWT: stake

The specific word used was

16:24 adds, after cross, that is, offer himself unto death

16:25 makes a clear distinction between the “soul” and the “life”.

16:26 the soul can be lost temporarily. “lose his soul forever” (heb).

16:26 heb adds: what good exchange does the man make if for present things that are spoiled he should give his soul to the judgment of Gehenna?

16:27 heb: Son of God grk: Son of Man

16:28 heb: Son of God grk: Son of Man

17:1 adds “where he might pray”

17:2 adds “While he was praying”… also says “his garments became white like snow” (heb)… “his outer garments became white as the light” (grk)

17:3 adds “were revealed to them and they told Jesus all which would happen to him in Jerusalem. Peter and his companions were asleep. Asleep but not asleep; awake but not awake. Then they saw his body and the two men with him.”

17:4 adds “when they went away”. “let us make here three tabernacles”… adds also “because he did not know what he was saying”.

17:15 “terrified of an evil spirit” (heb) vs “lunatic/epileptic” (grk)

After 17:17, we read Mark 9:20-27

Mark 9:20 “the satan” (heb) vs “the spirit” (grk)

Mark 9:21 “the satan” (heb) vs “this been happening to him” (grk)

Mark 9:22, heb adds “Lord” (Adon)… then adds “Then the man found favor in his eyes and he was filled with compassion for him”.
    Mark 9:24 heb adds “Lord” (Adon)

Mark 9:25 demon (heb) vs “unclean spirit” (grk). “Hard and dumb satan” (heb) vs “You speechless and deaf spirit” (grk)

Mark 9:26 “the satan” (heb)

Matthew 17:21 is omitted in the NWT. It appears in the heb.

18:4 omitted

18:15 adds “At that time Jesus said to Simon, called Petros:”

18:17 “consider him as ostracized, an enemy, and cruel.” (heb) vs “let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.” (grk)

The Watchtower would probably LOVE to have the Hebrew version be the official one!

18:18 every oath (heb) vs every thing (grk)

18:24 “pieces of gold (heb) vs “talents” (grk)

18:31 “angry” (heb) vs “grieved” (grk)

19:16 heb adds “worshipping him”

19:18 omits “you must not commit adultery”

19:22 heb reads: “when the young man heard he went away angry because he did not have much property”. Grk (NWT) says “When the young man heard this saying, he went away grieved, for he was holding many possessions”

19:29 “will receive a hundred like them” (heb) vs “will receive many times more”

20:16 adds “many are called but few are the chosen”

20:22 “are you able to endure the suffering and the death that I am going to endure”? (heb) vs “Can you drink the cup that I am about to drink”? (grk)

20:30 adds “heard the noise of the multitude and asked what this might be. It was said to them: The prophet Jesus from Nazareth is coming.”

20:31 Jesus is called The True Lord (Ha Adon), which the Witnesses say in the Masoretic Text exclusively refers to Jehovah:

20:33 Jesus is called The True Lord (Ha Adon), which the Witnesses say in the Masoretic Text exclusively refers to Jehovah:

21:9 “O savior of the world” (heb) vs “the Son of David” (grk)… then “our savior, may you be glorified in heaven and on earth.” (heb) vs “in the heights above” (grk).

21:12 “the house of HaShem (YHWH)” (heb) vs “the temple” (grk)

21:28-31 heb inverts the order of the children:

First said “I do not wish to”, but then went.

Second said “here I am, Sir”, but did not go.

They said to Jesus that the first did the will of the Father.

Grk is the opposite:

First said “I will go” and doesn’t. Second said “I won’t go” and does. They said the second one did the will of the Father.

21:31 “violent men” (heb) vs “tax collectors” (heb)

21:32 adds “To the one who has ears to hear let him hear in disgrace”.

22:13 “cast him to the nether most and lowest hell” (heb) vs “the darkness outside”.

Hebrew: Bottomless sheol

22:16 “violent men” (heb) vs “Herodians” (grk)

22:31 “spoken to you by HaShem (YHWH)” (heb) vs “spoken to you by God” (grk)

The reason for this being important is that this is one of the cases where YHWH is not as important to the Witnesses. They could have easily been “justified” in adding YHWH to this verse since they had support from a J version and it follows the formula of “YHWH said in his Word”… So why didn’t they? It’s inconsistent and shows how arbitrary the New World Translation is with regards to this topic.

22:31 “I HaShem (YHWH) am the God of Abraham” (heb) vs “I am the God of Abraham” (grk)

Again… arbitrary inserting or not inserting YHWH…

22:37 “and with your whole strength.” (heb) vs “and with your whole mind.” (grk)

The heb follows the Masoretic text better. In Deuteronomy 6:5,

Darby Bible Translation
    and thou shalt love Jehovah thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength.

23:8 “do not desire to be called Rabbi. One is your Rabbi and all of you are brothers”. (heb) vs “do not YOU be called Rabbi, for one is YOUR teacher, whereas all YOU are brothers” (grk)

23:10 “do not be called Rabbi, because one is your Rabbi” (heb) vs “Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for YOUR Leader is one”

In many parts of J2, Jesus is called “Rabbi”.

23:14 appears in J2, but is omitted in the NWT, because it is omitted in older manuscripts, but it is found in the Vulgate.

It is thought by Stephen Andrew Missick, author of The Hebrew Origin of Saint Matthew's Gospel: Jesus in the Light of Jewish Sources, that J2 is in reality a version of Matthew that originated from Latin sources, including the Vulgate. There are plenty of Latin words in J2, and the fact that 23:14 appears is another argument towards this.

23:21 omitted

23:22-39 has minor differences, many…

24:14 “a witness concerning me to all the nations” (heb) vs “a witness to all the nations”. (grk)

24:15 adds “this is the Anti-Christ

24:36 omits “nor the Son”

24:38 “being fruitful and multiplying” (heb) vs “men marrying and women being given in marriage” (grk)

24:39 “they did not know” (heb) vs “they took no note” (grk)

24:41 adds “This is because the angels at the end of the world will remove the stumbling blocks from the world and will separate the good from the evil”.

24:42 “Therefore watch with me” (heb) vs “Keep on the watch” (grk)

24:47 “he will place him over his children”. (heb) vs “He will appoint him over all his belongings.”

25:17 “the one who received two went, bought and sold and gained five others”. (heb) vs “In the same way the one that received the two gained two more.”

25:22-23 “the one who received two coins of gold… you gave me two coins of cold, here are two others which I have gained… “Truly you are a good and faithful servant”.”

This is important because apparently the “master” here is an idiot who was stolen 3 “coins” and still says that the servant is good and faithful.

25:24-30 “Then he who received the one… hid [the] coin of gold… behold you have what is yours. His lord answered and said: Wicked and lazy servant… take from him the coin of gold and give it to the one who gained five coins… as for the lazy servant, cast him into the darkness…”

So… the master never finds out he’s been robbed, rewards a thieving slave and punishes (murders) another slave for being “lazy”, even though he was honest and returned the money.

26:2 Howard translates

As “gallows”, but the word for “crucifix” is צְלָב and “gallows” is גַרדוֹם so it’s closer to “crucifix” than “gallows”

26:8-9 “but this waste was very displeasing to them since it would have been possible…” (heb) vs “On seeing this the disciples became indignant and said: “Why this waste?”

In heb the narrator also thinks it was a waste and that it was possible to sell to the poor, whereas in grk it was only the disciples’ opinion...

26:23 “He who dips his hand with me in the dish will sell me.” And then adds “All of them were eating from one dish. Therefore, they did not recognize him; because if they had recognized him they would have destroyed him.”

26:26 “This is my body”

In Hebrew the word used was the word that is translated as “is”, not “means” like the Watchtower has in the NWT.

26:41 “the spirit is ready to go to its creator” (heb) vs “the spirit, of course, is eager” (grk)

27:9 “Zechariah the prophet” (heb) vs “Jeremiah the prophet” (grk).

Here the heb is correct, the prophecy came from Zechariah, not Jeremiah. Only a few Aramaic manuscripts have “Zechariah”.

27:9 has HaShem (YHWH) whereas NWT doesn’t.

27:10 has Adonai (Lord) whereas NWT has “Jehovah”.

27:16 “prisoner who was almost crazy, his name was Barabbas. Taken in a case of murder he had placed him in the dungeon.” (heb) vs “Just at that time they were holding a notorious prisoner called Bar·abʹbas”

27:32 “They compelled him to carry the gallows, that is, “the Cross”” (heb)

27:40 “gallows/cross”

27:42 “tree” (heb).

This is important because it shows that there is inconsistent use of “gallows/cross” and “tree”…

27:49 interpolated words are omitted

27:50 “Jesus… sent his spirit to his father”

28:6 heb adds “HaAdon” referring to Jesus. This, according to the Watchtower, is a title exclusive to Jehovah.

28:7 HaAdon

28:8 HaAdon

28:9 bowed down to him and worshipped him.

28:16 “twelve disciples” (heb) vs “eleven disciples” (grk)

Major mistake!

28:19 heb omits anything after “go”…

So heb just says: “Go” and Grk says “Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit”

28:20 heb adds “commanded you forever” and omits “And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

• pizzahut2023
    pizzahut2023

I continue now with J3:

תורת המשיח, Euangelium secundum Matthæum in lingua hebraica . . . Vnà cum Epistola D. Pauli ad Hebræos, Hebraicè & Latinè (Gospel of Matthew and Paul’s letter to the Hebrews, in Hebrew and Latin), by Sebastian Münster, Basel, 1557. The translation into Hebrew uses יהוה or an abbreviated form of the Tetragrammaton in the main text of some verses.

It can be found here:

https://archive.org/details/NCHEBHebrewGospelOfMatthew2ndEditionWithHebrewLetterToTheHebrewsInAppendixSebastianMunster1557/page/n479/mode/2up

It doesn't really have anything too interesting.

In Hebrew it reads the word for "bow down/worship" applied both to Jesus and to YHWH.

Same thing for the Latin word for worship, "adoratio"

Other than that I didn't see anything too interesting.

• pizzahut2023
    pizzahut2023

J4:

תורת המשיח . . . כפי מתי המבשר, Sanctum Domini nostri Iesu Christi Hebraicum Euangelium secundum Matthæum (Gospel of Matthew, in Hebrew), edited by Johannes Quinquarboreus, Paris, 1551. This translation uses יהוה in the main text of some verses.

It can be found here:

https://www.digitale-sammlungen.de/en/view/bsb10205825?page=,1

Just like J1, everything is in Hebrew, even the numbering of the chapters and verses, so I cannot read it easily.

Hopefully someone who knows Hebrew can read it and let us know if there's anything interesting.

• pizzahut2023
    pizzahut2023

J5:

בשורת הקרואות שנה בשנה בשבתות ובחגי, Euangelia anniuersaria, quae Dominicis diebus & in Sanctorum festis leguntur, Hebraicè conuersa (Liturgical Gospels, in Hebrew), by Fridericus Petri, Antwerp, 1581. This translation uses יהוה in the main text of some verses.

https://books.google.com/books?id=qsRIAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

This version has just snippets of various Bible verses, it DOES tell me the book name and chapter but the verses and everything else are in Hebrew, so again, very difficult for me to read.

• pizzahut2023
    pizzahut2023

J6

Euangelia anniuersaria Dominicorum et Festorum dierum, Germanicè, Latinè, Graecè, & Ebraicè (Liturgical Gospels, in German, Latin, Greek, and Hebrew), by Johannes Clajus, Leipzig, 1576. The translation into Hebrew uses יהוה in the main text of some verses.

You can find it here:

https://books.google.com/books?id=YDVuR-q9JH4C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

This one is also a Liturgical book. The good thing is that it is in multiple languages I can read.

This version is very trinitarian.

For example, on pages 38-39, the liturgy is from Luke 2.

Particularly in Luke 2:11, we see that in the other languages it's Christ [the] Lord.

But in Hebrew is Messiah YHWH:

I will try and find other places where this version is very trinitarian, but that's as Trinitarian as you can get: saying that YHWH was born and that He's the Messiah.

• pizzahut2023
    pizzahut2023

Continuing my analysis of J6:

In Matthew 8:25, where the NWT reads:

25 And they came and woke him up, saying: “Lord, save us, we are about to perish!”

It says this:

Note that in German it is HERR (all caps), meaning LORD
    Same in Latin, all caps, meaning LORD
    In greek, Kurie, without the "ho", meaning, also, LORD

But in Hebrew, WOW! "Elohim", meaning God!

The apostles, according to J6, called Jesus, right in front of them, God!

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Sorry I mistook this for a discussion thread not a personal blog site. My mistake.

(With thanks to Earnest for the response. I have a feeling we’ve discussed this before!)

• pizzahut2023
    pizzahut2023
    George Howard’s argument is that Shem Tob is a medieval version of Matthew that reflects a much earlier version of Matthew in Hebrew, not that it itself is the exact form of the original Hebrew Matthew.

Agreed.

Shem Tob might have quoted the version inaccurately at points, which might explain odd features such as the etcetera comment. So it can be difficult to work out firstly where Shem Tob is quoting accurately and secondly where the medieval Hebrew Matthew accurately reflects a possible ancient original. Where Shem Tob wrote “the Name” in abbreviated from, the name YHWH presumably appeared in the original Hebrew version of Matthew of the first century.

Well... The "etc" comment appears multiple times. Both Jesus and Satan use it. I guess both were lazy and didn't like quoting scriptures in their entirety.

One of the most interesting differences, in my opinion, is the omission of the threefold baptismal commission “in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit” in Matt 28.20.
    Was this phrase added to Matthew in later centuries to give it a more Trinitarian flavour?
    If I recall correctly, there are no manuscripts or quotations of this verse in that form earlier than around
    250 CE and a couple of quotations which appear to omit it.

The phrase is omitted, yes. But if we see the entirety of the text, I would say even this Matthew leans trinitarian.

In various moments, Jesus is called HaAdon, which, according to the Watchtower, is exclusively used for "Jehovah" in the Masoretic text.

Please take a moment to read my analysis. In some cases, it does give credibility to Watchtower's teachings. But in the vast majority of cases,

the Watchtower and its teachings... loses.

Loses with respects to the trinity, with respects to the soul being the life, with respects to the cross, among others.

Christianity also loses because the one in the parable of the travelling "master" is seen as an idiot that can be robbed and still recompenses the person who robbed him!

But, like every time the Watchtower uses sources, it uses the source only when it agrees with it, but never when it doesn't.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

If the Shem Tob medieval version of Matthew is a descendent from an an ancient Hebrew original then it is many stages removed from that original. It’s entirely plausible that all sorts of additions and deletions accrued along the way, including Trinitarian ones. When one appreciates just how thoroughly Trinitarians changed the text of scripture and the early writings of the church to conform to the later Trinity doctrine it’s somewhat a miracle that non-Trinitarian material has survived at all from the early period. For every description of Jesus as the first creation of God in early Christianity that managed to cling on in the manuscript tradition there were probably many other examples that were blotted out.

• pizzahut2023
    pizzahut2023

Oops. J6 in Matthew 8:25 does NOT say "Elohim" in hebrew.

I misread two letters. It's a different word.

I continue my search...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit