Brought my non-JW wife to Kingdom Hall for a wedding

by keyser soze 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

My brother got remarried to his ex-wife over the weekend. They had been married for 15 years, but divorced in 2011. They decided to give it another try, because they have 3 kids together, and the dating pool is very thin for JWs in their 30's and 40's. We didn't want to attend, but since I was invited, and they were kind enough to attend our wedding, we decided to suck it up.

The most interesting part was the way my wife responded to the whole ordeal. There's nothing like gauging the reaction of an outsider to reinforce how cultish it all was.

The first thing was the love-bombing. She didn't mind that so much, except for one elder, who had been the PO when I attended. She said he gave off a "creepy" vibe. I told her to trust her instinct on that one.

She also found it amusing how many times the speaker used the phrase "Jehovah God" during the talk. It must have been 10 to 20 times.

She was most put off by the whole subjection of women aspect that was repeated throughout the talk. I'll never forget the 'WTF' look she gave me when the speaker referred to wives as "precious possessions".

• CitizenofEarth
    CitizenofEarth
    She was most put off by the whole subjection of women aspect that was repeated throughout the talk. I'll never forget the 'WTF' look she gave me when the speaker referred to wives as "precious possessions".

The way women would be treated by the Org if secular authorities werent here reminds me of the HBO series "The Handmaids Tale". Your wife were rightfully shocked - although in itself, and out of context, a rather weird comment, it shows a rotten, and grim, attitude towards women. Whats even worse is that many JW women will defend this stance when it is brought to their attention, like for example my sister and mom.

• jambon1
    jambon1

I know some pretty independent women that are witnesses and the way they're subjugated has me scratching my head.

• Giordano
    Giordano

It's still a 19th century religion when men were men and women weren't .

Every religion that does not allow women to have equal status and equal opportunities is only using half the brain power that is available.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

She also found it amusing how many times the speaker used the phrase "Jehovah God" during the talk. It must have been 10 to 20 times.

I Always hated that expression "Jehovah God".

Why follow the name Jehovah with the word "God"? There's not that many Jehovahs running around out there that they need to clarify who they are referring to.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Only? I went to a JW wedding about 1 month ago, and now that i'm out, i really noticed things i didn't before about the talk. For example, the amount of times Jehovah was mentioned was through the roof -- a real exaggeration. Jehovah this, Jehovah that, Jehovah Jehovah Jehovah. It really is an obsession they have with that name. At times, it almost seemed as if they think God is a bad word.

And like you said, why Jehovah God. How many Jehovahs are there that we need to specify it's a god.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

She was most put off by the whole subjection of women aspect.

Good thing she didn't see and hear how misogynistic the JWS religoius cult is, her head would have really blown through the roof.

Woman are lower class chattel in the Borg, kind of like how the ancient Hebrews treated and socially portrayed woman.

• steve2
    steve2

I was surprised that your brother and his "bride" were allowed to marry in the kingdom hall. Perhaps the circumstances are too private to share (I completely understand if they are), but were the grounds for the original divorce Scriptural? I had thought elders would be super-sensitive about allowing a re-marriage in the kingdom hall.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FINKELSTEIN:

That's why they didn't like me. I was nobody's "chattel".

I wasn't married to anybody there and thankfully had no family there. I was my own person and I supported myself.

The religion is a stupid charade pretending it's like a little village in ancient Israel - meanwhile people have to go out into the REAL world to earn a living.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

but were the grounds for the original divorce Scriptural?

Without going into too much detail, yes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit