Jehovahs Witnesses – Does the Sect’s name really mean for what it is ?

by EverApostate 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

The term Jehovah’s Witnesses sounded weird to me even when I was in that cult. Why does god need witnesses to prove his existence?

There is no need for anyone to create a movement called “Suns Witnesses” or “Moons Witnesses” – in order to prove its Existence and glorify it, because the sun and moon are evident to every species on earth.(Atleast for humans Sure)

But the Almighty who created the sun and moon needs to have Witnesses? Weirdo?

I think it’s a shame on an Almighty god to have a bunch of people going around and performing some monotonous preaching and report the time preached, about the Almighties Existence

As per Dictionary Witness as a noun form means

an individual who, being present, personally sees or perceives a thing;

a beholder, spectator, or eyewitness

As per the context of the word “Witness”, has any JW personally seen Jehovah in order to witness about him/her/It ? No.

JWs have coined their name from an ancient happening where Jehovah tells a bunch of people that they are his Witnesses. Even if this account is true, the people who then supposedly interacted with Jehovah, could only claim to be his Witnesses, in the truest sense.

How can any JW claim to be the Witness of a god, which they have only read about from an ancient book, whose authenticity is greatly debated?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Part of the devised name or intent was to promote the theology that Jehovah is god as opposed to Christendom's position that Jesus is god, a correcting distinction as it were.

From there the " You will be my Witnesses " extended itself.

Jesus Christ's Witnesses would probably been more accurate.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

As this previous post shows, Christians were to witness for Christ - not for "Jehovah."

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/4885250786197504/what-org-teaches-8-jehovahs-witnesses-our-scriptural-name

According to the Bible, Jesus was God's faithful & true witness - no one else. (Rev. 1:5; 3:14)

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Jehovah's Hearsay Account Repeaters while more accurate doesn't have that same culty ring to it.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

As with the non-celebration of most holidays and birthdays and many other things, the name was meant to differentiate the group from others claiming to be Christian.

Jehovah is not even a close approximation of the divine name

The 'witnesses' in the source scripture were all Jews and are long since dead.

Religion is a a snare and a racket

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

It's like saying Easter Bunny's Witnesses except people have been witnessed stuffed bunny and have seen an actual rabbit.

• stillin
    stillin

No, they are saying that they will be the only ones still living to give an accounting for how their God killed everybody else. This "Witness" will be given to resurrected ones who don't deserve to be alive any more than the destroyed ones deserved it, but they will be resurrected so that they can be killed off again, it was so much fun the first time.

• blondie
    blondie

It was adopted in 1931 after many members of the WTS left and identified themselves as Bible Students as well..rebranding to Jehovah's Witnesses.

The term Jehovah's Witnesses applied originally only to anointed members and the others were called the great crowd, "companions of", "associates." It was not until 1938 that non-anointed were invited to the memorial.

Some years later the WTS started using the term for all members of the WTS.

The term Jehovah's Witnesses is only used in the OT and applied to literal Israelites. The WTS said only jws were the anointed as spiritual Israelites.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Does that make apostates Jehovah's Hostile Witnesses?

• tor1500
    tor1500

Hi,

JW's main mission is to tell everyone all this bad stuff going on in the world, is not God's fault...they feel God's gets the blame for everything....one of their aims is to direct folks to the knowledge of Satan & he is the cause of all this mayhem...They want to sanctify Jehovah's name, yes his name & reputation...they do believe in Jesus...but they imitate him more than believe him (that's another story)..They feel God needs them to do this...but let's turn our bibles...('member that line) ? to Ex. 36:23‘I will (Jehovah) certainly sanctify my great name,+ which was profaned among the nations, which you profaned among them; and the nations will have to know that I am Jehovah,’+ declares the Sovereign Lord Jehovah, ‘when I am sanctified among you before their eyes. 24 :So basically God don't need nobody to witness for him...he just wants folks to know he sent his son for mankind and we should appreciate that gift and appreciate it...Doesn't God say, Have faith in my son & the hope of being resurrected...

We should be Jesus witnesses...because without Jesus, there is no Christianity...

Tor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit