"What IS True Love?" Watchtower Propaganda Review/Commentary

by WatchtowerReviewz 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• alcyone
    alcyone

Enjoy Jonathan reading his book:

http://bigworldnetwork.com/site/series/ahousedivided/

I am surprised too they allowed him to be in the WTS drama. I am not saying he is doing anything against the WT teaching, but ... it is strange, the Society is usually avoiding things like this. To be a freelance author is definitely not an usual occupation for JW.

Maybe in 2016 Serena Williams and Prince will play a pioneer couple in the new WTS video...

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

alcyone - "Maybe in 2016 Serena Williams and Prince will play a pioneer couple in the new WTS video..."

Know what's really funny?

Five years ago, I'd have said "no f**king way".

These days, though, I would put it past 'em, simply out of sheer desperation on their part.

• steve2
    steve2

Jonathan has a couple of vocal and gestural mannerisms that strike me as gay-ish. Even in the JW video, his head-tilt and eye movements could easily spin off into " Girlfriend!"

By contrast, the other JW male actor ( the one who depicts the hapless unbaptized brother trying but not succeeding in being "more spiritual") is just a regular, goofish guy.

But, I agree with others comments: The use of Jonathan in the JW org movie is an "interesting" choice. He clearly doesnt fit into the dull minded category necessary for "company" men who are guaranteed JW yes-men.

A sci-fi fan too. Hmmmmmmmmm. Surely not!

• fedup
    fedup

How many of these videos and dramas will the WT make.

They are all exactly the same.

• life is to short
    life is to short

I was that stupid when I was young, I really did think that we would live a life of serving Jehovah as a happily married couple until the first week after our wedding when I had to sit in the car for two hours waiting for my husband to get out of his elder's meeting. Than reality hit hard.

We never saw each other, pioneering was hell, everyone in the hall demanded everything from us, we had no life, we never saw each other. We or my husband I should say could never please anyone, I would get phone calls all the time demanding not asking but demanding that my husband come over to help them with what ever problem they had. It was all my husband's fault that their kids were not in the truth as it was his duty as an elder to see to it that the kids wanted to be a JW, or it was his fault that they had marriage problems, or what ever problem.

We never had money as we used every penny to pioneer.

None of the true problems of pioneering and living where the need was great were addressed in this video only that they fly off into the sunset to go to pioneer school. It was just a propaganda video painting a unrealistic view of a horrible life. I just really wish I could have a do over of my life, what I waste of my youth. I would tell anyone who would listen to RUN from this video.

LITS

• magotan
    magotan
    It's not even the fact that he's a freelance author - but it's the content of what he's written.

I wonder if we have someone either "awake" or about to "wake up".
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

It is indeed odd magotan...

The content of his story is odd. A "dystopian world where ones who disagree are mistreated"???!!! Wow, that's a little close to home....

• steve2
    steve2

Mind you, Prince spins off into very unjw "creativity" - and then comes right back to spout JW shit with not a hair out of place, doesn't he?.Look at the pagan "third"/mystical eye photo on his latest CD. This man is still a jw.

Perhaps as jw.org ages and aims for mainsteam acceptance, it becomes a bit more willfully blind to some of its members self-absorbed "eccentricities".

BTW, interesting the video portrays Jonathan as a photographer with his own business - he's not your usual dull-minded young jw male in a boring laboring job. Again, scriptwriters get away with more than your average jw would in their local congregation.

• WatchtowerReviewz
    WatchtowerReviewz
    Good call on the coffee motif. I noticed that only after it was pointed out.
    It is a staple during service. They need their caffeine infusion every hour or so
    GrreatTeacher It's the perfect company man's drug of choice. Like you said, it's almost a necessity when going out to service. I knew plenty of brothers who needed to get their hands on coffee before doing anything else.

I'm really looking forward to their next movie now just to see if they continue this coffee motif.
  • WatchtowerReviewz
    WatchtowerReviewz

stuckinarut2 Yeah I'm sure it's him. There is an interview on youtube where he is talking about one of his books. I think someone already put a link to it on this thread. (Can't see since youtube is currently blocked for me right now.)

Here is another one of his books that just screams (I'm awake!)
    http://www.amazon.com/Average-J-C-Thompson/dp/0692284281/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_2/191-9884258-4970944?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HAYW96YD4738T9YP3E6

It's called "Average" and it's a superhero story. The plot summary is that of a young kid who has no powers, unlike his superhero father. Desperate to understand and gain his father's approval he embarks on a comedic journey.

I'm probably reading too much into that but this sounds like a metaphor for a kid with super zealous JW parents and his quest to try and live up to their expectations.

The " About the Author" section of that link is kind of interesting.
    About the Author
    J. C. Thompson has been a bit of a compulsive reader/writer since childhood and started making money at it shortly after high school. By day, Thompson plays the role of a personal trainer and fitness writer but sneaks off to secretly write his fiction every night.

Emphasis on He sneaks off to SECRETLY write his fiction every night. Probably just a play on words, but maybe this guy is hiding his fictional writings from the Watchtower society. He may have been banking on the fact that Watchtower doesn't list the actors names in these propaganda films so no one would ever make this connection.

Like others have already mentioned though, I don't think he's doing anything wrong or breaking any Watchtower rules by doing this. Still, the organization is not really known for selecting people like this as their poster boys. I suppose as long as a portion of that book money goes to Watchtower donations, they don't mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit