Since leaving the JW Organization, who is believing?

by Issa 66 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Reading some random comments on this thread, people looking for evidence in order to have faith... I once was there in that mind set. It's a contradiction. Also when a religion is formed and decants truth into words and laws, it becomes a mockery of itself, and we all know that!

• Are you serious
    Are you serious

I'm agnostic at this point in my life. Definitely don't believe in the war-mongering, jealous, murdering, evil god of the bible. I haven't delved enough into evolution to form an objective opinion on it. At this point I have no idea how humans ended up on earth but I'm not obsessed with that either. Just trying to live my life.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    One poster said:
    11 hours ago11 hours ago
    Believers often are eviscerated on this forum. There is not really a place for them here if they express any belief in God.

I don't think that's true ....... this forum discussion makes the point loud and clear that there are many people on this forum who still believe in a God. For many....... a non belief in a god is a bridge too far. And as far as I am concerned that's an individual choice.

However when a 'believer' try's to proselytize their beliefs......... there is push back.When people present dishonest information.......... when they have a hidden deceptive agenda....... As Ex JW's we know how dangerous a high control religion with a made up corporate Dogma can be.

Issa you have asked a good question and you have many honest replies.

To answer your question...... I am a human secularist. I believe in humanity and trying hard to make this world a little better before I pass on (what ever that means). I really don't care if a god exists or not.

When I was a JW some 50 years ago I came to understand the Truth about the Truth....that it wasn't the truth. That it was.......... on many levels......... a death cult. That obedience to the GB is more important then how we feel about god. That marching in step is more important then one's spirituality.

• Earnest
    Earnest

I am an agnostic Jw. Because I have some understanding of the ease with which we fool ourselves in order to make sense of the world, I cannot be an atheist. I cannot be certain about any beliefs. I cannot even be certain that I am not certain. I can live with that.

• Jrjw
    Jrjw

I'm still deciding and have a lot of years of research ahead of me. Right now I'm just focusing on fading and taking a break from religion and hopefully any mind conditioning will fade with time so I can see what's true and what's not... or what I believe to be so anyway.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

atheist. i ceased any form of religious interest--and resigned as a jw. in 1971.

now--i couldnt give a toss where we all came from--how long ago--or where we are heading--armageddon man made or from god. theres not a damn thing i can do about it so i dont think about it. i will die one day--as we all will. if there is any form of afterlife--ok--i will wait and see. i will not be able to hold my breath though.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

Hello... I was an agnostic when I initially left in 2008. I remained that way until last year when I went straight up Atheist! While i am respectful of others choice to believe in God and organized religion, I personally want nothing to do with it.

• mentalclarity
    mentalclarity

Believer here! After leaving the JWs I went through a period of not believing in anything which was really great for me just to give me some time to think for myself (I'm a born-in). After that, I piece by piece figured out what I believed, what were my convictions, my values, etc. I also happen to be religious but that's because I reframed what religion is for me and what needs it fulfills in my life.

I'm not sure if there are more atheist on this forum or if it happens that they are the most vocal. You know, correlation doesn't equal causation. I also feel welcomed despite that I am still a believer, but I guess that comes with giving up the need for everyone to agree with me in order to express an opinion. Someone expressing that religion and the bible and God is all "magic" doesn't bother me in the least or have any influence on my own beliefs. That's the gift of knowing who you are and in part I have my exit from the JWs to thank for that!

• wolfman85
    wolfman85

Totally a believer, but I'm not affiliated with any organized religious group. When I read the Bible now I understand it from a preterist point of view.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Not a believer here because I am without evidence for an almighty creator spirit.

Just one point to make; when quasars (quasi stellar objects) were discovered in astronomy they were found to be ultra powerful energy and light sources about 10 to 14 billion light years distance from Earth (nearer ones have been found since) each one despatching energy of unimaginable potency.They are galactic cores fed by super-massive black holes. One light year, bye the way, is 5.88 trillion miles distance and a trillion has12 zeros.

It is laughable to imagine that the ox headed idol of the Hebrews called Yahweh (later Anglicised as Jehovah) could have the slightest connection with quasars.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit