What Do We Know for Certain?? Experts, Authorities, Scientists are often Dead WRONG

by Terry 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Do I know anything for certain?
    YES!
    When so-called "authority" predict the future - THEY ARE WRONG.
    And yet - we always believe them. Why?

Examples:
    ____
    ____

2912 Mayan Calendar Apocalypse
    1910 : Halley's Comet
    A worldwide panic ensued, stoked by the media and such newspaper headlines as “Comet May Kill All Earth Life, Says Scientist.”
    1831 THE GREAT DISAPPOINTMENT
    William Miller began preaching in 1831 that the end of the world as we know it would occur with the second coming of Jesus Christ in 1843. He attracted as many as 100,000 followers who believed that they would be carried off to heaven when the date arrived. When the 1843 prediction failed to materialize, Miller recalculated and determined that the world would actually end in 1844.

1914 / 1975 ARMAGEDDON : Jehovah's Witnesses.
    ____
    ____

"With over fifteen types of foreign cars already on sale here, the Japanese auto industry isn't likely to carve out a big share of the market for itself." -- Business Week, 1968.
    _______

_______
    "To place a man in a multi-stage rocket and project him into the controlling gravitational field of the moon where the passengers can make scientific observations, perhaps land alive, and then return to earth - all that constitutes a wild dream worthy of Jules Verne. I am bold enough to say that such a man-made voyage will never occur regardless of all future advances." -- Lee DeForest, American radio pioneer and inventor of the vacuum tube, in 1926.
    _____
    ______
    "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." -- Lord Kelvin, British mathematician and physicist, president of the British Royal Society, 1895.
    _____
    _____

"Nuclear-powered vacuum cleaners will probably be a reality in 10 years." - Alex Lewyt, president of vacuum cleaner company Lewyt Corp., in the New York Times in 1955.
    _____
    _____
    "There is not the slightest indication that nuclear energy will ever be obtainable. It would mean that the atom would have to be shattered at will." -- Albert Einstein, 1932.
    _____
    _____

"The cinema is little more than a fad. It's canned drama. What audiences really want to see is flesh and blood on the stage." -- Charlie Chaplin, actor, producer, director, and studio founder, 1916.
    ____
    ____
    "The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys." -- Sir William Preece, Chief Engineer, British Post Office, 1878.
    _____
    ______

"[Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night." -- Darryl Zanuck, movie producer, 20th Century Fox, 1946.
    ____
    ____

"When the Paris Exhibition [of 1878] closes, electric light will close with it and no more will be heard of it." -- Oxford professor Erasmus Wilson.

____
    ____
    Y2K Computers were to cease functioning.
    ____
    ____
    ONLINE SHOPPING:
    In 1966, Time magazine ran a bold prediction: “Remote shopping, while entirely feasible, will flop—because women like to get out of the house, like to handle merchandise, like to be able to change their minds.”
    ____
    ____
    1956, when Khrushchev was addressing Western ambassadors at the Polish embassy in Moscow, he told audiences that that Communism’s defeat of capitalism was inevitable.

“History is on our side,” he said. “We will bury you.” Thirty-three years later, Communism collapsed, and two years after that the Soviet Union was dissolved.
    _____
    _____
    in 1964, National Review founder William F. Buckley described them as “so unbelievably horrible, so appallingly unmusical, so dogmatically insensitive to the magic of the art, that they qualify as crowned heads of anti-music.”
    ____
    ____
    Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox made a statement on Dec. 4, 1941, to assure everyone that the situation was well in hand. “Whatever happens,” he said, “the U.S. Navy is not going to be caught napping.” The attack on Pearl Harbor occurred three days later.
    ____
    ____
    In the 70's and 80's, ACID RAIN (we were told repeatedly) would destroy lakes and forests.
    Eventually ... investigating scientists reported that they had “turned up no smoking gun; that the problem is far more complicated than it been thought; that other factors combine to harm trees; and that sorting out the cause-and-effect was difficult and in some cases impossible.”

_____

MORAL OF THE STORY?
    Intellectual honesty doesn't double-down on error.

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

2019...global climate change?

I always say, "follow the money" . It's all the same old, same old thing.

• cofty
    cofty

Are you not conflating knowing things with certainty and predicting the future?

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

@ Cofy...at first I was going to argue your statement, but you know? You're right. A lot of those statements were supported by scientific facts. Still are in most cases. The problem was there wasn't a complete picture of the problems. Not enough study to formulate a proper conclusion. Just one side was researched and pushed to the extreme.

I see this same failed agenda today pushing global climate change caused by man-made CO2 emissions. See, I don't deny climate change. What I deny is the influence man has on it.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I dont BELIEVE science, science proves out to be reliable.

That's why you were able to type a message in your magic box, and people all over the world are reading it and replying to your question.

Its why you can get into your big magic box, and drive around your country.

Its why you can get in a long magic tube and fly to countries around the world.

Its also why no one dies of polio anymore.

Scientific method works.

• stillin
    stillin

Nice compilation, Terry. Question authority.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Charles Holland Duell (April 13, 1850 – January 29, 1920) was the Commissioner of the United States Patent Office from 1898 to 1901. Duell has become famous for, during his tenure as United States Commissioner of Patents, purportedly saying: "Everything that can be invented has been invented."

just saying!

• TD
    TD

Duell was an attorney as I recall and like a number of the other examples above, was speaking outside of his area of expertise.

Here is the actual quote:

"In my opinion, all previous advances in the various lines of invention will appear totally insignificant when compared with those which the present century will witness. I almost wish that I might live my life over again to see the wonders which are at the threshold"

• jp1692
    jp1692

Interesting thread, Terry.

People are often wrong. That is why scientific methods are so important; they are inherently self-correcting.

Peer review is an essential part of the process, unlike say religious proclamations and edicts which are not allowed to be questioned.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Doctor Who: I don't deny climate change. What I deny is the influence man has on it.

How do we know climate change is real and that much of it is due to human activities? That's a great question. As a science teacher, I would encourage you to examine the evidence, of which there is plenty (NASA: "Climate Change: How Do We Know?").

"The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia" - IPCC Fifth Assessment Report, Summary for Policymakers, (Emphasis added).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit