DPA Cards: Word Has Come Down To Badger People

by JW_Rogue 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• millie210
    millie210

They have back pedaled on their hard line as to blood transfusions being a disfellowshipping offense.

Perhaps this is an internal way of enforcing the seriousness of the teaching without putting so much in writing?

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

I took my DPA out of my wallet several months back and have been contemplating whether or not to craft my own notarized document for any doctors that may have to work on me in an unconscious state. The document would basically inform them that my family will object but that I give them full permission to use blood transfusions if they deem it medically necessary.

I was also thinking I might include advice on how to deal with the matter, for example, suggesting they not make it not making it known to my family that they are using blood, and instead simply saying something like "we will honor your son's wishes."

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

They have back pedaled on their hard line as to blood transfusions being a disfellowshipping offense.

Perhaps this is an internal way of enforcing the seriousness of the teaching without putting so much in writing?

Last I read on the subject they just changed it be "disassociating oneself" (basically the same thing as disfellowshipping) as a ploy to avoid the legal issues of discouraging life-saving medical procedures through religious punishment.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Nobody has chased me .....yet!

What I do to counter any problems in the event of an accident is to wear an SOS pendant with I D on it. Unknown to my better half it also says I would accept blood - signed by me.

• blondie
    blondie

In my area POA for finances are a separate document from medical issues.

Not that some jws may choose an elder to represent them if they don't want their family to do it.

• Giordano
    Giordano

If you want to walk around with a suicide note on your person do so. You can also drive your car without a safety belt on. Share a needle with people you hardly know. Have I mentioned unprotected sex with strangers?

The made up blood doctrine as it pertains to Transfusions was designed and maintained out of ignorance. It was an early 20th century response to an incomplete understanding.This is another situation where the Society is ignorant and too reckless with the health and welfare of it's followers.

The counter for an ex or currant JW who has a serious doubt......is to carry a permission card to do whatever it takes to get you through a medical emergency.

In the case of traumatic injury death could be minutes away let alone trying to sort out the blood issue.

Have you ever met a JW, who wasn't a mate or your child, or close family member, who you would willingly die for? Compared to that realization why in the world would you refuse something that could cause your death needlessly because some foolish Elder thinks it's the right thing to do.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Giordano: The made up blood doctrine as it pertains to Transfusions was designed and maintained out of ignorance

Regardless of why the transfusion ban was put in place to begin with, the inevitable outcome was that the WTS created a group of people who have a rare blood disorder. They made up a "disease", a medical disorder. And gave it to all the JWs worldwide.

The world of bioethics has had to deal with the conundrum of personal choice in medical decisions, as it pertains to the taking of blood, and the past several decades has seen much literature and court judgments generated because of the WT's blood ban. However, what the WTS is guilty of is monumental in scope. The WTS gave the JWs a medical disorder - a made-up "disease". A rare blood disorder.

"When you give somebody a disease — even by the standards of their time — you really cross the key ethical norm of the profession," said Arthur Caplan, director of the University of Pennsylvania's Center for Bioethics.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Couldn't find anything by Google, I presume the P A bit is Power of Attorney, what does the D bit stand for please ? and is this form the same in the U.K ?

Thanks.

• blondie
    blondie

health-care durable power of attorney (DPA) (proxy

Are You Putting It Off?

Putting what off? Filling out the DPA (durable power of attorney) card that is provided for baptized Witnesses. Since “you do not know what your life will be tomorrow,” it is crucial that you decide in advance and indicate in writing what treatments and procedures you would accept in a medical emergency. (Jas. 4:14; Acts 15:28, 29) To help you, the video Transfusion-Alternative Health Care—Meeting Patient Needs and Rights has been produced. View it, and then prayerfully review what you learned with the help of the questions set out below.—Note: Because the video includes brief surgical scenes, parents should use discretion in viewing the video with young children.

(1) Why are some in the medical community reevaluating the use of blood transfusions? (2) Give three examples of complex surgeries that have been performed without blood transfusions. (3) How many physicians and surgeons worldwide have indicated their willingness to treat patients without blood transfusions? Why are they willing to do so? (4) What have recent hospital studies revealed about blood use? (5) What are the medical risks associated with blood transfusions? (6) What conclusion have many experts reached regarding the benefits of transfusion alternatives? (7) What causes anemia? How tolerable is it in humans? What can be done to compensate for it? (8) How can red-cell production be stimulated in a patient’s body? (9) What techniques are being used to minimize blood loss during surgery? (10) Can transfusion alternatives work for young children or for people involved in life-threatening emergencies? (11) What is one of the primary ethical principles of good medical care? (12) Why is it important for Christians to make nonblood treatment choices in advance? How can we do this?

2010 KM January P.7

This is only for medical not financial (MDPA should be more accurate)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit