slimboyfat joins the Unitarians!

by slimboyfat 52 Replies latest members private

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I should do a follow up to this thread, and the SDA thread. The trouble is there have been three more instalments and, really, I should have written each before the other in order to remember them accurately in context. (I don't keep a diary) Suffice it to say I've found out new things that have changed my perspective somewhat!

• careful
    careful

Suffice it to say I've found out new things that have changed my perspective somewhat!

Tease, tease. So when will you be so pleased as to share these secret "new things" with the uninformed readership here?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Hang on, are you joining the Unitarians, the Christadelphians or the Seventh Day Adventists?

I'm confused.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The Unitarians seem similar to the United Church of Christ. They are more religious than unitarians, they do talk about God, but in a very liberal way, there is no doctrine at all. Services are lively, warm and friendly with good music. They seem to be struggling with the same demographic issues, more older people, few younger.

I enjoyed the services and liked their emphasis on charitable works, I could see some benefits to being part of a faith based community. They were fine with my lack of belief in God, but at the same time it made it hard to get motivated enough to join.

• sparky1
    sparky1

My mother was a Unitarian before she became a Jehovah's Witness in the 1950's. She belonged to a very well established congregation that met in a historically significant church. To this day, it is a strong and vibrant community, although now it is a Unitarian-Universalist congregation. They have a very informative website slimboyfat. If you care to research the American version of this religion their website is as follows:

oldshipchurch.org

• Stirred
    Stirred

Thank you for this thread. After attending a funeral service that was slim on doctrine, had no flags, but was very refershing, my kids expressed interest again in finding a place to attend "worship" and "fellowship". They are missing that since our fade. I'd like to check out the UU meeting. My mother and maternal grandparents pursued that path for some time.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Thanks let us know how you get on. From what I gather there is a lot of variety among UU churches so the local experience will be unique.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I came across this video that fairly accurately portrays the a Unitarian church pretty funny!

https://youtu.be/Z78_rAg4Ldg

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

About 20% Christian, 49% non-believers and the rest Wickens-to all other kinds of belief. Still Totally ADD

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

If nothing is wrong what do people from the front talk about

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit