slimboyfat joins the Unitarians!

by slimboyfat 52 Replies latest members private

• Laika
    Laika

I like these threads, I have been to a lot of different services too, maybe we can start our own ship of fools site :)

I wonder if you will try Catholic or Orthodox? I've enjoyed Orthodox services because they are very different in style to the Western services, I think you would find it interesting.

I haven't had a good time at the pentecostal services I've been to either, I did prefer the vineyard church and charismatic Anglican church I've visited, I wanted to explore that aspect of Christianity and found they did it with less of the baggage of pentecostals, I.e. Without prosperity gospel theology and over promising on healings, though I don't know how much variation there is between churches. Interestingly Vineyard theology had the biggest influence on the Alpha course (more so than standard Anglicanism) which has done a lot for Church of England survival, and they had a lot of influence on the Archbishop Justin Welby, so maybe you would enjoy that from a sociology perspective. I think I would also be interested in your reflections on 'contemporary' worship (I don't think you would enjoy it but could be wrong? I expect this style will become the norm in British Christianity in a few decades)

Personally I would like to explore some anabaptist (I.e. Mennonite) churches but the last one seems to have closed in London a few years ago. I learned of a Lutheran church in London I might visit soon, I understand they are struggling to survive over here too, but much like the mennonites have never been very prominent in Britain anyway.

My worst experience was with the Korean Shincheonji - their dishonesty and treatment of their followers and potential followers was quite incredible, they are growing rapidly but it remains to be seen how they will survive their leader's death - he has promised he will live forever and he is 86 now.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Given I added some Aust census stats to sbf's thread on the SDA's, I thought I had better add something similar to this thread. But I can't.

In the 2011 Aust census there were only 1335 Unitarians. In the 2016 Aust census, they didn't get a separate category.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Slim, ive enjoyed reading these experiances. Not for any particular reason other than just the comparisons to what i know as “normal”, enjoying the anthropology of it all.

As a small aside this quote

On balance I probably do think there is a God, although I wouldn't say for definite. And I am doubtful whether JWs are God's people“

after 13 years here you have graduated to “doubtful”! Well done sir.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

shepherdless it would be interesting to see the earlier figures for Unitarians (2006, 2001, 1996. 1991?) to establish the trend. It may be there were too few to count in 2016, or their churches disappeared completely.

Unitarians are definitely in decline in most (or all) parts of the world. If people want to "experience" a Unitarian meeting they better locate one now, and attend fast before it's too late!

Laika I would like to hear more of your experiences. And yes Orthodox I'd like to add to the list. I've been inside Orthodox churches but not for a service. I don't know the etiquette. I've been to various Catholic services too (I have Catholic family) and a Lutheran service in Trondheim.

• jp1692
    jp1692

SBF, I do enjoy these posts of yours, but I feel compelled to point out that “joins” and “visits” are not synonymous.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Jp, you should also point out “making cut backs and retooling” isnt the same as “imminent collapse”

• LV101
    LV101

SBF - hope you do a topic re/JW vs. SDA funding -- can't wait.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

@simon, can you please ban lv101 for encourgaging more money topics from slim???

• LV101
    LV101
    Are they really to be banned? I won't make any more requests. I don't think SBF was the only one starting these but I get you're sick of them.
  • dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

SBF, keep it up, man, I love it. Why dont you join the Taliban too, let us know how it goes!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit