The Story of My Sister - Lurkers: Is this logical?

by Funchback 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Funchback
    Funchback

My sister got baptized at 17 or 18 years old in 1983. She was ripe for the JW picking as she was shy, quiet, naive and with low self-esteem even though she was tall and beautiful and she attended one of the best high schools in Philadelphia.

She wasn't outgoing and she only went out on a couple of dates prior to her baptism. She worked at a day care center. She loved children and animals.

About three years later, around 1986, a young man just a couple of years younger than her happened to walk past her job. He, the son of a pastor, tall, kind of dorky and every bit as shy as my sister. The two were literally made for each other. They fell in love pretty quick.

She simply found her happiness: true love. She didn't fade or worry about what would happen if she left the JWs. She literally just walked away. She soon got engaged to this man she had met.

All was normal in our relationship as a family. In 1987, I was 17 and began attending meetings again after 3 years of being inactive. My brother, 4 years older than me and one year younger than my sister, was becoming a hardcore JW, on the fast track of becoming a servant and then elder.

By 1989, my zealous brother and I (I wasn't zealous at all...I was just trying to make it through Armageddon) were active JWs. My sister hadn't been to a meeting in about 3 years. She was just living a happy life. She was getting married that year and my brother and I asked the elders if it would be wrong to attend her wedding in a church.

Let that sink in: We had to ask another person how we should think and what we should do.

It was for a wedding. A wedding. A wedding for two people in love. One of the participants was my flesh and blood. Even though she no longer was an active JW and had never uttered a negative word about the organization, my brother and I had to ask someone to be our consciences, all because she was baptized.

The elder told us we could attend the reception but not the actual service because it was in a church, even though the reception, too, was in the church.

Now, here's the twist: Very soon after her wedding vowels, we were attending a Thursday night meeting (Theocratic Ministry School back then). Right before the closing prayer, they made an announcement: Leslie XXXXXXX has been disassociated....

No warning. No heads up. Just a cold announcement of disassociation.

I asked an elder, 'Why? Did she disassociate herself?'. He told me, "She was disassociated by her actions".

Is that love? Eternal shunning because someone made a decision at 17 and simply changed her mind? Her crime: Not for marrying a worldy man. Her crime was getting married in a church. Had she married at the Justice of Peace, no announcement would have been made.

It ruined my relationship with my sister beyond repair. I eventually woke up 17 years later and we have a good relationship now, but I lost 17 years of bonding with my sister because a school bus driver and a factory worker (the professions of two of the elders) decided that my sister should be punished in the worst possible means with a label second only to apostacy.

Is this love?

Meanwhile, accused child rapists are free to prey on our children. I guess getting married in a church as an inactive JW is way worse than abusing kids.

Oh, wait. I guess at least two people witnessed my sister's wedding so they had to take action, all in the name of keeping the organization's name pure. Unfortunately, predators don't often allow for two witnesses.

Please, lurkers and those with doubts, ask yourself if this religion is one of love, or is it one of keeping up appearances?

Brian

• steve2
    steve2

A powerful account, Brian. It illustrates what happens when men become entangled in what other men think and "love" evaporates in the process.

• Normalfulla
    Normalfulla

Dude, so sorry and a sad story, the amount of sibling relationships that would... under normal circumstances be healthy and flourish are so often burned, unnaturally strained, suppressed and ultimately wasted as a result of the dictation from the top in the WT, I myself am experiencing first hand, my younger brother (elder) won't speak to me and both my sisters and their husbands barely say boo despite being all really close... And what have I done to them personally? Nothing, I'm the eldest of the family and know TTATT and therefore cannot continue to be an active JW, I'm not out to try destroy their faith BUT just that fact is enough to tar me with the brush the society prescribes to all who doubt them

• smiddy
    smiddy

Of course their is no problem getting into bed with the enemy Christendom or Satans system of things when the G.B. / Elders sell their Kingdom Halls that were dedicated to Jehovah to them for profit is their.

The hypocricy of the religion knows no bounds.

• Arthur Others
    Arthur Others

Now, here's the twist: Very soon after her wedding vowels, we were attending a Thursday night meeting (Theocratic Ministry School back then). Right before the closing prayer, they made an announcement: Leslie XXXXXXX has been disassociated....

No warning. No heads up. Just a cold announcement of disassociation.

I asked an elder, 'Why? Did she disassociate herself?'. He told me, "She was disassociated by her actions".

Man, what a sad story. Sorry to hear that happened to you and your sister. I'm a firm believer that it is not an organization of love. Getting to know a lot JW's from around the world and being around large and small groups of them time and time again, I have seen more pride and gossip than love. Over and over in my struggle to stay strong in the organization when I've felt weak, I have reached out to other brothers and sisters, or made it known that I could use the encouragement, and let me tell you the ones that did reach out were only interested in getting "my story" so they could gossip to other brothers and sisters about my spiritual progress. Out of the many there are very little that I would say have shown me true care, but even they use words about the governing body and end of days, that make me uncomfortable. The moment I think, "Man this person really does have love", they say something about a non-JW or even a fellow JW that makes me go back to, "darn it, that's not love"!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yes, sadly I have seen that in the elders book. A witness can "disassociate by their actions" by doing something the society considers wrong. They are then to be treated as a "disfellowshipped" person with all the scorn and judgement that involves.

It is so inappropriate that an organization has that level of insidious control over the mindset of its members!

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Funchback, Its dissapoiting to " awake" and realize the power we gave " organizational men" over our life's. If your sisters wedding became a defining moment that woke you up, I am sure that would be the best belated wedding present she received. Most importantly you are now bonding with your sister again, so the relationship hasn't been broken beyond repair.

I wish you all the best.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Funch you put the case very well for the distortion of human values in the JW world.

• galaxie
    galaxie

There are reasons many take activist positions against this hypocritical organizationot of heartless charlatans, this account outlines it perfectly.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Funchback, the main point is: how is your sister now? Has she moved on and is she happily married and pursuing a meaningful post-JW life?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit