Hurtful people deserve only pity.

by Skeptic 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

I had a complete stranger deliberately seek me out and be rude to me today. It appears to be some sort of game, a rudeness contest perhaps, played between two people. I know I didn't deserve the remark, as I was not even looking at them, and one literally poked me in the side to get my attention. Very weird.

I was surprised at my reaction. Yes, the remark hurt, and I am more than a little dismayed. But my biggest reaction is that I genuinely pity them.

I have dealt with more than my share of abusive people in the last year. But the hurt from abusive people has lessened, and is largely replaced by pity. I think of how empty their soul must feel for them to have to go out and purposely hurt someone.

I deal with a lot of messed up people, but the deliberately hurtful types have a mindset that I cannot understand.

I know a few hurtful types and two of them have told me why they hurt; it is because they do not like themselves.

I can not imagine having such an emptiness in my soul that I have to deliberately seek out someone to hurt. Can you imagine the internal pain they must feel? No wonder I pity them.

I cannot imagine being such a bad person that I cannot stand being alone, cannot stand the silence that allows one to hear one's soul. Not being able to be just oneself. And, of course, hurting people doesn't win one any friends, makes enemies, and feeds what that person already knows about themselves. I genuinely pity them.

This is a change in my view of bad people that I developed several months ago. I have dealt with my share of abusers. Do they still hurt? Yes. But the hurt they cause me now is minimal because I find that I greatly pity them. I have been in pain before, I have hated myself before, but I have never, ever wanted to purposely hurt an innocent party. It is a mindset that I cannot fathom. To be that low on the scale of human decency, or to be in that much internal pain, deserves only pity.

One of the two pitiful creatures who opened up to me is currently homeless. Literally got kicked out of his home, because his behaviour has reached the point of being dangerous. He asked if he could live with me. I said no. I am used to dangerous people, and if I lived alone I would take him in and help him. But I have my son to think about, and I cannot introduce that kind of instability into my home.

Besides, being homeless will be good for this individual. I told him that perhaps being homeless is what he needs to make him realize the need to change and that violent behaviour cannot be tolerated. I asked him to think about what he wants and what he is willing to do to get it and keep it.

To be honest, I am tired of patching up weirdos, or trying to keep them alive. It is nice to live my days not wondering if I am going to be killed in my sleep, physically attacked, etc. Or to not have to talk someone out of suicide, or hurting themselves. Or wrestling a weapon out of their hands so that they don't hurt themselves or someone else.

Thanks for letting me rant. I like my rather dull life now. It is peaceful and safe. And weirdo-free. Well, almost weirdo-free.

Richard

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake

Rude and abusive, and weird, reminds me of the society,, If you're no longer dealing with the Witnesses, you got the rudist, most abusive and weird people out of your hair, The rest of the world should be a piece of cake..

Why, cause when the Witnesses are naturally being their rude, abusive and weird selves, its called hypocrisy.. When the world does it. its drug abuse, bad upbringing, alcohol, or caffeine withdrawal.....

You sound like though you have a big heart, but you recognize your limits. Not giving up entirely on people, but knowing when to keep you and your family safe, is a hard judgement to make.. Best wishes....

Fruitcake

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Hurtful people deserve only pity.

and a sigh around their neck that s says

Beware Mad Dog

• Prisca
    Prisca
    I like my rather dull life now. It is peaceful and safe.

I can sooooooo relate to what you said there. The first 19 years of my life were filled with various dramas, to the point I was wishing for death, so I wouldn't have to suffer any more trauma.

Now, all I want is a peaceful life, free of worrying dramas and problems. I don't need adventure, I've had enough of it thank you very much.

As for deliberately hurtful people, I know what you mean about feeling pity for them. Even now, I get insults from people online, and all I can do is sit back in amazement at the vile and wrath they possess. I've been told that much of this hate is "projection" - what they hate about themselves is transferred onto other people. So if they hate themselves that much, then yes, you have to pity them. What a sad life some people must lead.

• rocketman
    rocketman

dull can be good.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I once had a bro. come up to me at a meeting, and say"i dont' know why u keep coming here, no one wnats anyhting to do withu". I did knot know him and was so stunned, i just blocked his face out. I have no idea now who it was.

What a hateful thing to say. I hope he receives as much empathy as he dished out.

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    You sound like though you have a big heart, but you recognize your limits. Not giving up entirely on people, but knowing when to keep you and your family safe, is a hard judgement to make.. Best wishes....

Thanks, Fruitcake. It gets even more blurry when the weirdo is family. (Yeah, some of my family are hurtful and dangerous people too.) I am setting much firmer limits than I used to. I remove toxic people from my life.

Now, all I want is a peaceful life, free of worrying dramas and problems. I don't need adventure, I've had enough of it thank you very much.

Prisca, can I ever relate to that statement! I am sorry that you had a rough life. You deserve better.

As for deliberately hurtful people, I know what you mean about feeling pity for them. Even now, I get insults from people online, and all I can do is sit back in amazement at the vile and wrath they possess. I've been told that much of this hate is "projection" - what they hate about themselves is transferred onto other people. So if they hate themselves that much, then yes, you have to pity them. What a sad life some people must lead.

I admire you because you are one of the few posters here who actually gets the sense of what people write. Prisca, it amazes me the crap that gets dumped on you for no reason. The projection theory makes sense. I would rather pity hurtful people than hate them. I really am not good at the hate thingie.

What surprised me today was that within a few minutes, I felt pity for the couple that insulted me. Well, technically, only one insulted me, the other strongly encouraged it. I pity them both.

What a hateful thing to say. I hope he receives as much empathy as he dished out.

Wednesday, that was such a wicked thing for that brother to say. Chances are, that he has a bad reputation and gets little empathy from anyone. Generally, what goes around comes around.

Richard

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

We also need to take a look at society. From a young age children are subjected to violent movies and music (Eminem is an excellent example of a popular musical artist whom young boys and girls idolize and listen to) which glorifies and encourages rude and violent behavior. The Witnesses are deplorable no doubt, but when we look at the undue attention given in the media (be it film, music, magazines, video-games, etc.) to children which supports and encourages vile behavior, they become desensitized to it, and behave in a manner that would have been unthinkable even 15 years ago.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Richard, I grew up with those words. I've also learned that some people need a slap to wake them up to reality. I've extended a helping hand many many times, and like in the parable, only a rare bird comes back and says, thank you, is so true.

I still help people whether they thank me or not. I've told the story about finding $75.00 in cash and a visa bill. I went out my way to pay the bill and the husband who was on the phone with the bank manager never said thank you to me! Yes, many people need to be pitied. Life is much easier to live with it with that type of an attitude.

Guest 77

• Skeptic
    Skeptic
    I still help people whether they thank me or not. I've told the story about finding $75.00 in cash and a visa bill. I went out my way to pay the bill and the husband who was on the phone with the bank manager never said thank you to me! Yes, many people need to be pitied. Life is much easier to live with it with that type of an attitude.

Totally unreal. I can only shake my head in puzzlement at that guy. He deserved to be pitied. What a life he must lead if he is so inconsiderate.

Richard

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit