What words does your animal understand?

by JH 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Since I moved here I got a German Sheperd that is a retired police K9 unit dog. He understands LOTS of terms in both English and German which is really cool.

• Stop
    • Heel
    • Attack
    • Sit
    • Out
    • Hurry up
    • Down
    • Lay down
    • Food
    • Time to eat
    • Roll over
    • Show me your belly
    • Give me your paw

and more but I can't think of them right now. Some dogs are extremely intelligent animals.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Our dog is not terribly smart, but she knows a few words.

Come here --------- that means "immediately run the other direction"

Sit-----------she knows that one

Do you want to go for a walk? --------she goes nuts

When she sees me putting on my tennis shoes, she runs back and forth in front of the door, waiting for me to take her for a walk.

She is an outside dog, so of course, tries to come in the house whenever the door is open...........if I say her name, "Jenny", she turns around and goes back out.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

LOL @ Mulan's dog

wondrous creatures they are

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Our older cat, Ginger, is like Morris the cat. She totally ignores us most of the time. Although she appears to be in a drug induced stupor, she just has her own way of relating. She always comes and sits by me when I turn the PC on....she likes the sound of the motum as it's connecting. Also, if I head down to the basement to do wash, she's right there. She really doesn't come when I call her, but that's only because she chooses not too.

June is like a little child. She is nearly a year now, but just loves people. She is waiting for me when I get home and mews until I stop and give her attention. When I say "come here" or "kiss kiss", or "no", she responds with obedience and affection. She loves paper and when I am trying to read something, she is right in my lap on top of the book or magazine. If we make a small wad of paper, she will play with it endlessly. She tries to engage Ginger in games, but Ginger mostly ignores her, so she finds her own entertainment. When it's time to get her nails trimmed, she disappears fast and we have to find her. Our house is cat friendly, which means I've removed all my plants and items that might get broken while they are both racing around the house, chasing one another.

When I have to say "no" to Ginger, she absolutely knows what I mean--and she doesn't like being told no. If she's insistant, despite my instructions, and I try to make her do what I want, she goes into "wild mode", and growls like a dog, tenses up and tries to hit me with her paw. She has bitten me, but more of a control thing and not any damage done. When she bites me, it's a sudden thing, and it's like she's thinking "oh no, I've done it now", and she cowers until she can make up with me. She knows the rules, she just tries to break them. I swear, that cat has multiple personality disorder. Ginger loves my son, but growls at my husband's oldest grown son. We can't figure out why. (Both of them have dogs as pets.)

In the evening, they have a ritual, where they are both let out into the garage for awhile, just to explore. When that time approaches, they both go and sit at the door. When they've had their adventure, we open the door and back in they come. In the garage they get to meet new criters, like grasshoppers, crickets, spiders, and even a black snake once, that wonder in from outside. These are indoor cats, and this is the closest they get to outdoors.

Late at night, Ginger will tip toe around the bed, checking first on one of us, then the other. We let her make her rounds, and then she goes to her bed. It's like she has to make sure "her family" is alright. She gets right in our face and sniffs and rubs her nose in our head and then seems to be satisfied. Ginger puts us to bed, and June wakes us up, like clockwork every morning at 6:40. She's so gentle and sweet about how she does it too. She doesn't just leap up on us. She mews once or twice at the side of the bed, and then she gets up on the bed and mews a couple times. If we aren't stirring too much, she then comes up on us and gets right in our face. Once we are awake, she gets down. On the weekends, she "makes bread" on us as we try to catch a few more winks. She makes bread, cleans herself and then curls up on us and goes back to sleep with us.

These two cats have enriched our lives so much!!

• La Capra
    La Capra

My pooch knows •"Get off the bed" •"Do you want to go outside?" •"Bath Time" (he jumps in the tub) •"Let's get it the car" (he gets in the driver's seat) •"Where's the cat?" •"Hup" (he sits) •"Eat" (he eats) • "Eight" (he thinks I am saying "ate" so he eats) • any other number (he knows I am not saying "eat" and sits there drooling, and waiting to eat-and probably cursing me in his dog-sized brain for making him sit there and wait till I say "eat" or "eight") •"Place" (he gets on his dog bed) •"Fetch it up" (he picks it up) •"Don't lick/scratch the dog" (he stops licking or scratching himself-or he goes somewhere else so I can't see him or hear him) •"Eat the Jehovah's Witness on the Porch" (he drools, growls, jumps on them with mouth a-snapping) and his most useful: •"Go get the newspaper" (he drools, brings in the paper from the driveway, and eats a biscuit) My little brown dog is truly this girl's best friend. Shoshana

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

One of my dogs, Daisy (German Sheperd/Rottweiler mix) is actually a very smart dog.

Here are some of the words and commands she knows and obeys without fail:

• Sit
    • Stay
    • Gimmie paw (Ok these are typical)
    • Daisy, go get your leash.
    • Gimmie kissie
    • Where's (name that person). Goes right to that person. (That impresses the heck out of me every time)
    • Go get your bowl. (Goes and get's her bowl)

As many of you have said, animals certainly enrich our lives. Each one has their own specific personality that is just wonderful. It's no wonder they are known as our best friend.

• JamesThomas
  • JH
    JH

Good one James Thomas

Shit down you schtupid mutt....

• simplesally
    simplesally

"Where's your leash?"

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Dalmatians aren't known for their intelligence, but my dog knows the standards:

Sit, gimme your paw, gimme your OTHER paw, lay down - he follows hand signals for these also

if I want him to come in the house or follow me somewhere I just say, Cookie?

I can ask him, Where's Daddy? Or Who's coming? and he's up at the door waiting, and when he's stretched out on the floor and I say, "Who's a good boy?" he wags his tail. If we put treats in his bowl he will wait until someone says, "Get it!" before he eats.

Silverleaf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit