Tried unwitnessing at LDS carts today

by joe134cd 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I was walking through a market today, and spotted LDS cart witnessing. So I thought, what the hell, I’ll give him a go.

I focused on the character of Joe Smith. The wealth of the church. The 3 witnesses, and the Adam God doctrine. I got no where with him, as I tried to explain my JWisim in the context of mormonisim. Which was what I was expecting.

What stood out to me was just how totally indoctrinated he was. Couldn’t even get a word in, and the guy just wasn’t listening. Then, like a bolt of lightening out of the sky, it occurred to me that I was once like this very person I was talking to. I think I learnt a valuable lesson today.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I did not know until reading this thread that Mormons do cart witnessing, too. 🤔

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Me neither. Are they copying JWs? Do they have posters on the carts, and literature to hand out?

Pictures would be good 👍

Searching “Mormon preaching carts” on google only produces hand carried wooden wheels and nineteenth century costumes 🤔

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I had a Mormon approach me last week and invited me to his church. I declined and I also decide not to give him a reply about JW as I often when I informal witness. I’ve approached Mormons before out in service. They are very assertive snd confident with circular reasoning, equivocating and based on false premise. Can’t get anywhere in terms of logic.

What I found peculiar about a Mormon approaching me was that they usually want to Bringham Young, targeting young men and women and not middle age and older.

I remember Mormons coming in to WT literature counter in NYC and picking up some of our literature. They look like Bethelites. But I’ve been seeing hispanic Mormons and rarely someone blacks. Oh, I saw an Asian mormon. I was totally shocked. I knew somebody that was studying the Bible with Mormons and first thing they do as son as they can os to ask for 10 percent of your $$ moremoney. They are true believers though. With polygamy accepted in their religion the men can’t get into too much sexual problems which is the main reason JW are df.

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

I did not know until reading this thread that Mormons do cart witnessing, too.

Me neither. Are they copying JWs? Do they have posters on the carts, and literature to hand out?Pictures would be good

Me three. I'm with Slim. Let's see some pics to compare.

I presume the Mormons nicked the idea from the JWs? It seems they like to exchange ideas these days, considering the JW GB2.0 have also nicked several from the LDS too. There are those who speculate that JWs and LDS even have the same or similar people behind their modern marketing strategies. Who knows?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I wasn't aware of any cart work by Mormons, though I am not surprised. A door to door approach is becoming more and more ineffective, whether in a religious context or other type of salesperson. I can't remember the last time I had any type of sales person at the door. Fuller brush, Encyclopedia, Bible sales, anything. It just doesn't happen anymore.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Fisherman : With polygamy accepted in their religion the men can’t get into too much sexual problems which is the main reason JW are df.

The practice of polygamy is strictly prohibited in the Church, as it has been for over 120 years. In a statement on polygamy they say that "if any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose".

• SydBarrett
    SydBarrett

"The practice of polygamy is strictly prohibited in the Church, as it has been for over 120 years. In a statement on polygamy they say that "if any of our members are found to be practicing plural marriage, they are excommunicated, the most serious penalty the Church can impose"."

He's probably thinking of the FLDS, a small split off group that still practices polygamy, sort of. In reality, it seems that it was their leader who was getting "married" to all the teenage girls in the community. He's serving a life sentence now.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Ok for the doubters out there. I’ll go back next weekend and take a photo. To be fair the title I used was was a bit of click bate-ish. But they did have their literature displayed on a table, that was free to take. It wasnt on a cart. Ironically one of the reasons I was given, for why the church was so wealthy was because of the extreme cost of translating all their publications into various languages. Omg I almost chocked on my cappuccino, when he said that. There was just no way anything was going to get through to this guy. Actually the following day I’m still thinking about my interaction with this guy.

• Acluetofindtheuser
    Acluetofindtheuser

The JW's stole the Family Worship day from the Mormons. The implementation came from deceased GB member Guy Pierce. He used to be a Mormon and he brought it into the JW religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit