Darkspilver case decided: his posts were fair use, not copyright infringement; subpoena quashed

by Corney 24 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Corney
    Corney

The final order was issued few hours ago:

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.cand.336935/gov.uscourts.cand.336935.30.0.pdf

The record establishes that Darkspilver made fair use of the Watch Tower ad and chart. Consequently, he did not infringe Watch Tower’s copyrighted works, and there is no basis in the DMCA for a subpoena to compel disclosure of his identity. This is not a matter of limiting disclosure to outside counsel only, but that disclosure is not permitted at all under the law. The motion to quash is granted.

Media coverage: https://www.law.com/therecorder/2020/03/02/reddit-will-not-have-to-hand-over-former-jehovah-witness-identity

I'm curious if they will appeal this ruling to a circuit court.

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you for the update.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

A love these victories however small. Thank you for this intelligence.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Great news. Thanks for the update and links.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

IMO the Watchtower scum-bags' legal action was a non-starter from the very beginning, instigated in order to instill fear in genuine ex-JW's who exposed the JW cult online.

I'm sure Darkspilver is still loyally & obediently fulfilling his Mill Hill and Chelmsford Bethelite assignments. I wish him a long life in his dead-end career for the Borg.

• Corney
    Corney

You are free to suspect anyone of anything but you cannot repeatedly smear someone's reputation and provide no evidence for your nonsensical accusations.

• Wakanda
  • The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

So calling someone a Bethelite is now a smear and a nonsensical accusation???

Many thanks for confirming what I already knew. :)

• JayDubyaDotOrg
    JayDubyaDotOrg

We certainly won't be reading that in JW news.. quick! we need more persecution stories to fill the space.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I imagine the JW's know they don't have a case in these instances but their intent is to make things as difficult as possible for anyone who speaks against them... slow them down. They have legal resources and deep pockets and probably hope to scare off the average Joe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit