My Mom died last week.

by Still Totally ADD 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Last Wednesday my elder brother called me to let me know mom had died. She was 97 years old and was in a nursing home for the last 7 years. Her mind had left her many years ago to the point she didn't recognize any of us. There will be no funeral service because no one knows her anymore from her congregation. Most have moved, died or new move in's. Both of us can't do it because of distance and health problems.

I had not talk to my brother for over a year and he was quite civil with me. Found out he has had 3 heart attacks in the last year and other health problems. His wive is just as sickly. He seem to be humbled in some way. He has always been very arrogant and looking down his noise at you all my life. Anyway we had a very nice conversation about mom and how unhappy she was all her life. There was a relief we both felt that she had died which I thought was a odd feeling to have. She was never happy being in the borg. She missed all the holidays and her relatives. My father was a hard nose jw. She went along with it and eventually used the wt. teachings as a weapon against others in the congregation. She could be a holy terror. Anyway I felt sad, happy and indifferent this last week about her death. I hope all of you on this board have or had better relationships with you mom. Thanks for listening. Still Totally ADD

• minimus
    minimus

So sorry for you. It’s difficult because you were estranged from your whole JW family. At least she’s not suffering in any way. Sorry, my friend.❤️🌹

• LV101
    LV101

Sorry for your loss - my condolences.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Losing a parent is an emotional event even if having an estranged relationship. It reminds us of our mortality too. Hope the contact with your brother was good and you both decide to talk more frequently.

Doc

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

STILL TOTALLY ADD:

My condolences on the loss of your mom. It is awful when a parent dies.

I’m glad you had a pleasant conversation with your brother and it is possible that being unwell has made him more ‘friendly’. Although, it’s too bad that it sometimes takes something extreme to make JWs act human.

I am always astounded when I hear stories like yours about the misery in families caused by the JW vacuum of a religion. Again, my condolences.

• Listener
    Listener

Sorry to hear of your loss but it's good that you were able to have a reflective conversation with your brother.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Very sad, especially if she was never happy.

Your mixed emotions are understandable.

There aren't many perfect parents.

Give love to the positive people in your life (I'm sure that you do!).

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

So sorry to hear of your loss.

It is interesting that your brother has seemed a bit humbled. It makes you wonder if some of these active JW's are questioning their very beliefs. The end did not come, the way they were promised. Sad!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Still Totally ADD...sorry to hear about your mom's passing. Brings back sad feelings I had when my mom passed last year. My thoughts are with you my friend.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Sorry for your loss, Still Totally ADD, may she Rest In Peace. And hopefully, your brother softens a little.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit