No more public WT & Awake?

by mikeflood 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Magnum
    Magnum

WingCommander: "It's really hard to convey to anyone not alive during that time just how it was constantly drummed into our heads that we'd never get old, never even get to high school (much less graduate from it) and walk into the New Order waaaaaay before the year 2000 even."

So true! I was there; I know. I graduated almost two decades before you and prominent JWs in my area told my nonJW dad that I would never get a driver's license or graduate from high school in "this system."

Around the year 1990, I knew of a guy who was going to try to make money on the Olympics that were to be held in Atlanta in 1996 by selling T-shirts. A JW friend and I laughed at that because "this system" was to be gone by then. A few years ago, I had been sent to Florida to work for a few days. As I was driving North on I-95 from Florida to pass through Georgia, I saw a "Welcome to Georgia" sign right at the Fla/Ga border. In big letters on the sign was "Home of the 1996 Olympics." That was 2016 or later, so it was close to 30 years after we laughed at the thought of the Olympics' occurring in 1996, and it was at least (probably more than) 20 years since the Olympics occurred in Atlanta.

Seeing that sign hit me hard and reminded me of the JW mindset back in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Back in my day as a JW, we received 48 32-page mags per years and were instructed to read them cover-to-cover. I hate the fact that I wasted so much of my life reading such. I could have spent that time reading stuff that would benefit me now.

Back then, attending the Congregation Book Study and reading all the magazines were supposedly vital to our spirituality and survival. Now the Book Study is gone and the mags almost don't exist anymore. What happened? Also, pioneer hours are half of what I had to do.

At this point in time (the last minute of the last days), the org, the preaching work, etc. should be at their peak (think: Israelites marching around Jericho), yet they are weakening. The org might linger on in some small way, but I see it dying. The heyday is over.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

My mother was going to stop the study she was having with one of the "anointed." She was told that me and my siblings would not leave school before Armageddon erupted, and was then asked, "Do you want your children to die?" That was in 1957.

• Gorb
    Gorb

52 years now, 47 years after 1975.

No summer holiday in 1975 because of the end would come.

G.

• St George of England
    St George of England

Special World Wide WT campaign in September 2023. So special they cannot even publish a new magazine, they will be using the Public WT No. 2 from 2020.

I think they have long since run out of ideas.

George

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

No more public WT and Awake, hey.

I always prided myself back in the WTs heyday when the new copies came out. I always took pride and commented, boasted at the how amazing the 'print' was. And the artwork.

Clearly, the Borg is transitioning itself from a 'printing company' to a ' real estate empire'.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And what are they going to place at the door, those stupid wastes of paper tracts that always present some bogus proof that the end is near? Which would make no sense, since presuming that the whole bible is intended to enslave the whole world would explain most of what these wastes of paper try. Not to mention, always getting into something that goes completely against the laws of nature, which will later be used against you.

Beyond that, they go into those books that simply waste even more paper and time. You start with a simple waste of paper (tract), then commit to a book that expects you to give up your life, so you can live for a god that demands you to help it enslave the whole earth, then the whole Orion Empire, then the whole universe? I simply hope they simply place zero books, start zero studies, and get zero new baptisms doing this.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The Org is getting more and more insulated. They realize they actually don't need any worldly people. Money comes from jdubs anyway. No magazines mean money saving. Give jdubs a track that points everybody to the website.

Eventually they will do away with preaching altogether. Perhaps limit it to standing in a street corner where nobody approaches. All new members are kids of existing cult members. They are moving towards a self contained club. Members pay a fee (donations), and they don't need anybody outside of the club.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

This is clearly not the same organization which I was baptized in around 1990.

Completely unrecognizable, hierarchy, hypocritical, and just outright weird.

Just astounding and baffling how they always knock education and universities and such and here they go out and rely on the educated for which they condemn their members from going to.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The demise of the public mags is astounding… back in the day Saturday morning magazine work was a really big deal . Every month there was a special Saturday where we had a big push and the KHall would be full of us all going out.. Everyone did mag work , if nothing else . I can remember offering “two for ten pence” old money, and people paid.

We had fun in those days , never thought it would come to this..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit