What is Self-deception?

by Kosonen 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

I googles about self-deception and found many articles about it. It is a thing reseachers in psychology have studied.

Here is a quote from an article that describes it. And it is interesting because of so many ideas about how to understand the Bible. It is good to have in mind the danger of self- deception when we form our beliefs.

https://www.123helpme.com/essay/Self-Deception-and-Absurdity-217557

"Self-deception is described as a strong urge and desire to maintain or defend a belief or idea that one regards to be the truth even while there is strong evidence that the contrary is actually the truth (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy). Self-deception is “a way we justify false beliefs” and these rationalizations “may even produce it themselves” (Skeptic’s Dictionary; Perspectives, 117). Some views of self-deception suggest that it is an egoistic act, while others do not believe that this is necessarily true. There is also controversy over whether or not the deceiver is conscious of this incidence. That is, the dispute is over whether the deception is intentionally self-induced. Another debate examines whether or not this tendency is an everyday human occurrence. Self-deception must first be defined before arriving at the conclusion that it is an everyday occurrence because, according to one possible definition, self-deception is argued not to even exist. The process of defining this phenomenon can be very difficult and quarrelsome because of diverging views and opinions of the definition. Some may even argue that there are different categories of ‘self-deception’ that only loosely apply to actual self-deception and that this is why it is hard to come to conclusions on the subject (Van Leeuwen). The process of defining self-deception implicates a moral and social definition and understanding as well—questions such as, “Is self-deception immoral?” and, “Does society play a role in self-deception?” must be answered...."

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I don't know the source, but this is one of my favorite quotations: "The more intelligent a person is, the more sophisticated he or she is in the art of self-deception"

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Many times those who accuse others of self-deception are in fact the ones who have deceived themselves.

Case in point...

"At hearing this, the Pharisees said: “This fellow does not expel the demons except by means of Be·elʹze·bub, the ruler of the demons.” ...Jesus said to them, "But if it is by means of God’s spirit that I expel the demons, the Kingdom of God has really overtaken you...Whoever is not on my side is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. For this reason I say to you, every sort of sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the spirit will not be forgiven."

Not surprising that the Pharisees would have deceived themselves, since their ruler is the father of self-deception.

"Either you make the tree fine and its fruit fine or make the tree rotten and its fruit rotten, for by its fruit the tree is known. Offspring of vipers, how can you speak good things when you are wicked? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man out of his good treasure sends out good things, whereas the wicked man out of his wicked treasure sends out wicked things. I tell you that men will render an account on Judgment Day for every unprofitable saying that they speak; for by your words you will be declared righteous, and by your words you will be condemned."

Matthew chapter 12

There are many "religious" people today, some leaders of groups, some not, who falsely claim to be "knowledgable" and yet have deceived themselves and others. By their fruits they are recognized.

• mann377
    mann377

There are no bigger fools than those who fool themselves.

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt
    "this phenomenon"

"those who fool themselves."

"The more intelligent a person is, the more sophisticated he or she is in the art of self-deception"

https://youtu.be/gUUkhwaWP68?si=d8I3kXljbNdyc7Ec

😂

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Here's a few interesting notes on "cognitive dissonance," I believe to be a close cousin of "self-deception":

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

Vidqun, so true!

• Kosonen
    Kosonen

A few Bible verses to have in mind in order to avoid self-deception:

Proverbs 15:22 Plans fail when there is no consultation, But there is accomplishment through many advisers.

Proverbs 3:7 Do not become wise in your own eyes.

1 John 4:1 Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God,

• EasyPrompt
    EasyPrompt

Proverbs 15:22 is talking about planning for practical matters.

Proverbs 3:7 in context is talking about trusting Jehovah.

"Trust in Jehovah with all your heart,

And do not rely on your own understanding.

In all your ways take notice of him,

And he will make your paths straight.

Do not become wise in your own eyes.

Fear Jehovah and turn away from bad."

At 1 John 4:1 in context, John told anointed Christians the following:

"I write you these things about those who are trying to mislead you. And as for you, the anointing that you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to be teaching you; but the anointing from him is teaching you about all things and is true and is no lie. Just as it has taught you, remain in union with him. (1 John 2:26,27)

In chapter 3 he tells how to tell the difference between a trustworthy person and someone who is not trustworthy.

Then he said at 1 John 4:1 "Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired statement, but test the inspired statements to see whether they originate with God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world."

The way to "test the inspired utterance" is not to consult with others as with practical things like in Proverbs 15:22. The way to "test the inspired utterance" is to consult with God by means of His Word and holy spirit. If the teaching of a person doesn't harmonize with what is written in the Bible and if it doesn't harmonize with God's personality as reflected in the Christ, then the "inspired utterance" is false. Just because a lot of people believe something doesn't make it true. You can consult a million people and they can all tell you something, but that doesn't make it true. (Take the "Kingdom in 1914" teaching for example - millions of JWs believe it but that doesn't make it true...)

1 Corinthians 3:18-20

"Let no one deceive himself: If anyone among you thinks he is wise in this system of things, let him become a fool, so that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God, for it is written: “He catches the wise in their own cunning.” And again: “Jehovah knows that the reasonings of the wise men are futile.”"

• AugustHest
    AugustHest

Forgive me--I might get "stoned," so to speak for asking this, as I have been gone from the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses for some 30 years...

But if we are talking about "self-deception," why are you folks quoting texts from the New World Translation of all places? Isn't it the epitome of self-deception in deception when it comes to translation?

I went to Hebrew school since--not to mention learned Greek in college--and it's horrific. Anyone who uses it as a measure of being honest with themselves is truly on the road of "self deception."

If you must use the Bible as your measure of guidance in life (one does not have to--but if you must) why not use something like the NRSVue? Or the ESV? Or the NIV? Or something like that which is academically sound?

I can tell you that the NWT--that is not the way the Bible reads. The NWT is itself a deception. Why are you using that? Is this not an exJW site or did I miss something?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit