Should doctors tell JW patients that there is disagreement about Watchtower's blood policy.

by Lee Elder 46 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder
    Fisherman: Your comments tap into the commonly held belief among JWs that blood is contaminated and unclean. Same "purity" notions drove the vaccine and organ transplant bans. Blood is a liquid tissue transplant and carries well known risks just like other tissue or organ transplants. In all cases, these are only considered in serious, life threatening circumstances. Watchtower implanted phobias and notions of uncleanness or contamination are without scriptural merit, and primarily serve as control mechanisms to generate revulsion and compliance imo.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

these are only considered in serious, life threatening circumstances.

Nahh., I don't believe that. Blood is big business and hospitals have been known to transfuse blood when possible, same as ordering a lot of tests to bill insurance companies for more money, but what patient would dare challenge a doctor who's trying to help him.

Watchtower implanted phobias and notions of uncleanness or contamination

But such fear was well founded as epi-HIV infected blood has proved. I know people that have died because of blood transfusions that would be alive today, and in all fairness, I also must say that I know at least one person that would be dead today if not for a BT. Albeit, there is a basis for the fear and repiulsion. It is not just hype.

control mechanisms to generate revulsion and compliance

JW are courageous people. They are always prepared to die for their beliefs so their stand is not out of fear of risk of infection, besides, risk is better than certain death and jw know it.However, the medical risk do encourage the religious stand.

without scriptural merit,

In all objectivity, not just how the WT interprets it, it says to abstain from blood. To what degree, how does it apply, and should blood ever be used to sustain life, especially when someone is bleeding to death and needs gallons or liters of it? The WT says no BT (at this time.)

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

JW are courageous people. They are always prepared to die for their beliefs so their stand is not out of fear of risk of infection, besides, risk is better than certain death and jw know it.However, the medical risk do encourage the religious stand

You are sure of this

• cofty
    cofty
    it says to abstain from blood - Fisherman

It's all a matter of context...

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

You are more likely to be struck by lightening or die of a bad reaction to an antibiotic than you are to die from a blood transfusion. WT implanted phobias and misinformation on blood persist in the EX JW community, I see it all of the time. Get the facts.

Blood Transfusions - What are the risks?

• the girl next door
  • TD
    TD

In all objectivity, not just how the WT interprets it, it says to abstain from blood.

Is English a second language by any chance?

You've made a pretty basic error here. And misquoted the Bible too....

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Link disappeared here it is:

http://ajwrb.org/blood-transfusions-what-are-the-risks

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder
    Girl next door - yes, thank you.
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman

Is English a second language by any chance?

3rd language . And besides the 3, I speak and write others too.

You've made a pretty basic error here. And misquoted the Bible too....

That is your belief and if you like it, believe it. Now, may I ask you, what error do you believe that I made? And can you show me please, where do you believe that I quoted or "misquoted" the Bible? And by the way, can you also tell me please what did I mean by "it" each time I used it in my statement that you are referring to?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit