Wedding Rings.

by Lost in the fog 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Bridesmaids and groomsmen are also a wedding practice that involves non-christian religious beliefs.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Why doesn't the org ban JW's from using certain months of the year or days of the week?

January Named after the Roman god of beginnings and endings Janus. Latin Januarius (mensis).

February The name either derives from the old-Italian god Februus or else from februa, signifying the festivals of purification celebrated in Rome during this month.

March This is the first month of the Roman year. It is named after the Roman god of war, Mars. Latin Martius (mensis).

May The third month of the Roman calendar. The name probably comes from Maiesta, the Roman goddess of honor and reverence. Latin Maius (mensis).

June The fourth month was named in honor of Juno. However, the name might also come from iuniores (young men; juniors) as opposed to maiores (grown men; majors) for May, the two months being dedicated to young and old men. Latin Junius (mensis).

July It was the month in which Julius Caesar was born, and named Julius in his honor in 44 BCE, the year of his assassination. Also called Quintilis (fifth month). Latin Julius (mensis).

August Originally this month was called Sextilis (from sextus, "six"), but the name was later changed in honor of the first of the Roman emperors, Augustus (because several fortunate events of his life occurred during this month).

Sunday The name comes from the Latin dies solis, meaning "sun's day," the name of a pagan Roman holiday. It is also called Dominica (Latin), the Day of God.

Monday The name comes from Old English Mōnandæg, "the moon's day". This second day was sacred to the goddess of the moon.

Tuesday This day was named after the Norse god Tyr, from Old English Tīwesdæg. The Romans named this day after their war-god Mars: dies Marti.

Wednesday The day named to honor Wodan (Odin), from Old English Wōdnesdæg. The Romans called it Mercurii dies, after their god Mercury.

Thursday Old English Thu(n)resdæg. The day named after the Norse god Thor; in the Norse languages it is called Torsdag. The Romans named this day Jovis dies ("Jove's Day"), after Jove or Jupiter, their most important god.

Friday Old English Frīgedæg, the day in honor of the Norse goddess Frigg. To the Romans this day was sacred to the goddess Venus, and was known as Veneris dies.

Saturday This day was called Saturni dies, "Saturn's Day," by the ancient Romans in honor of Saturn.

• blondie
    blondie

Fall Guy, they try that some time ago, way back.

Isn't there a post on this original post about that?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Blondie, I will consider getting that as a tattoo-

jwdotorg: "As in all aspects of life, Christians should make decisions that will leave them with a clear conscience before Jehovah God.​"

As far as what I have to say- you all know what it is- It's a cult.
    Things that allow you to associate more closely with "worldly" relatives and schoolmates and workmates- like Christmas, birthdays, Easter, etc.- must be banned. But the wedding ring marks you as married and, at least to an organization whose rules are from the early 20th century, provides a measure of protection/separation from the world.

• inbetween09
    inbetween09

Even in my days as full believer I had problems with this "pagan" origin thing.

Eventually I could make some sense of it, when religious festivals now are connectetd to traditions rooted in paganism. Thats why I could rather easily explain why JW do not celebrate easter and Christmas.

With other celebrations, like birthday, mothers day, even saying "cheers" etc, which are not in conection with worship today anymore, it was much more difficult, since on the other hand we have no objection to weeding rings, pinata, use of calendar etc.

I personally know JW, who are not awake, still having problems with understanding, why we do not not celebrate birthdays.

• zeb
    zeb

wedding rings and the big one wedding anniversaries. If these particularly the latter were to be done away with there would be hell to pay across the world as sisters would revolt.

• blondie
    blondie

Question Box

● May the Kingdom Hall be used for a “second wedding” ceremony?I

(this was cited when a couple celebrating wanted to renew their vows at the 25th wedding anniversary)

because once a couple are legally married in the United States their vows are binding, it would not be fitting to use the Kingdom Hall for a “second wedding” to “renew” those vows. In accord wieth Jesus’ counsel, a married couple can let their “Yes” mean “Yes,” viewing their vows as still in force before God and men.—Matt. 5:37.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/201977011#h=1:0-5:778

When two Christians marry in a way that is legal and recognized, that union is binding in God’s eyes. Hence, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not repeat a marriage by having multiple legal ceremonies, nor do they renew marriage vows, such as on a couple’s 25th or 50th wedding anniversary. (Matthew 5:37)

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2006765?q=renew+vows&p=sen

• Prester John
    Prester John

Add the classic board game Snakes and Ladders to the formerly pagan but now acceptable list.

I am too lazy and beerily hazy to provide links, but look it up. It is thoroughly rooted in ancient Indian and Hindu philosophy. Karma, and all that.

I hereby declare that any JW found playing Snakes and Ladders shall be liable to the ultimate sanction. And don't think that Ludo gets you off the hook either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit