Cowardly Change of Policy in the UK

by Slidin Fast 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

The Britain branch has called a confidential meeting tonight with a controversial announcement. The message is of such import that it was transmitted by word of mouth only, nothing in writing, ears only. A decision made by the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses and transmitted orally down the chain of command, a decision proving the leadership of this spirit lead body.

The GDPR laws in the UK have been interpreted by WT lawyers so that all record keeping relating to the public has been banned, telephone witnessing and letter writing also, forbidden.

Now in a show of supreme bravado the publishers are to be informed that if they wish to, if they dare, they may write to people at their own risk.

Bear in mind, nothing is in writing. This is purely a verbal command. Should a poor publisher be pulled up on this crime of writing and posting a letter, they will be on their own. The WT PLC has total deniability.

What a cowardly none event. There was a time when like it or not, there was some courage in the organisation. Now? They are just a bunch of spineless wimps.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

so--in fact then--the preaching work in the UK is now more or less--dead. good.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

How do they plan to communicate this instruction to ordinary JWs? Usually instructions from the branch would come as a letter to elders, or possibly through a letter from COs. How do they propose to inform elders and then publishers without anything in writing? I guess they could phone all COs, and then have COs phone elders in each congregation. Then an announcement, or informal remarks from elders to regular publishers. Without written instructions to refer to, won’t ordinary publishers conclude that the elder has gone rogue?

On the one hand, an instruction like this would make sense, because JWs in the UK following the rules have barely any ministry to report, plus Watchtower have a track record of “obeying God as ruler rather than men” when they choose to be stubborn.

On the other hand, JWs in the UK have got used to the idea by now that they don’t keep any records on the public and that it’s important to obey the law of the land in this regard. So a screeching u-turn would generate some cognitive dissonance over such contradictory signals from the leadership.

I’m a bit sceptical because I just don’t see how this is workable. JWs generally need something in print to refer to before they will act. The written instructions are very clear that JWs in the UK are not to keep records about the public of any kind and are not to send unsolicited letters at all. I don’t know of any precedent for a verbal instruction contradicting and superseding what’s in print.

Edit: I’m sure verbal instructions on individual cases are issued from the branch all the time. What I mean is that I’ve never heard of an example of a blanket instruction like this contradicting what’s in print.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

After 911, the WTBTS communicated with DO's, they communicated with CO's, and they communicated with Presiding Overseers of a new message/presentation with scriptures that we should share with the public. It was spun as this will be how Jehovah communicates with us as we get deeper into the time of the end.

Interestingly, our Bird Brain PO didn't get the message correct, (duh) and we found out about it months later. Face Palm. If it had been Harmaggeddon we would have died.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

I didn't make it clear I'm afraid. The confidential meeting was called so that the CO could verbally transmit the decision via Zoom to all the elders in the circuit. It will all be done without a written word. I think that this will be verified in due course but Slim, I'm sure it is as I have said.

• kramer
    kramer

It’s being communicated to congregations at meetings through zoom, starting from Tomorrow (Saturday)

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As part of the meeting? Or informally?

Are the elders going to say explicitly that the instruction is verbal only and not in writing on purpose? Because if they don’t make it clear that the instruction is from the top, and to ignore previous written instructions on the matter, then ordinary JWs will perhaps conclude that either the elder is unintentionally mistaken and has gone rogue.

• kramer
    kramer

I have heard from two people that still attend that they are having an additional 30 minute session in individual ministry groups before their weekend meeting.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

If someone records it, they would have proof that their elders told them so. At least the local corporations and elders would be on the hook.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Yeah - there is nothing like wanting to have it both ways. All too typical of that bloody lot!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit