Good Works by "worldly people".

by Lost in the fog 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I have friends who are called "worldly people" by JWs. These people are actively involved in feeding the homeless over Christmas. Managing thrift shops so they can send financial aid overseas to poorer children. They are doing good works in the true spirit of christianity. And they are outwardly happy people.

The friends in the truth mock them. One elder proudly told brothers that when asked for a donation towards orphan children in poverty he said "those children don't need food, they need to know about Jehovah's Kingdom. Send them Bibles, don't send them food aid!"

The whole "there's too many problems to fix and sure the Kingdom will put everything right" attitude makes me sick.

I stopped giving money to the Borg long ago. I gladly give money to my worldly friends and their charitable services. Jesus Christ fed the poor and the hungry.

• Lostwun
    Lostwun

haven't picked up or read a bible in ages but that ol adage comes to mind in this situation: "by their works you will recognize them".....

• moreconfusedthanever
    moreconfusedthanever

It always bothered me that we were supposed to view our witnessing as charitable work.

Just recently the watchtower encouraged JWs not to give monetary or material aid to refugees but that we help them spiritually. BUT Jehovah needs your money. Please give generously.

Being charitable and actually helping and caring for the less fortunate is something foreign to them.

When we found ourselves struggling, our worldly friends checked in on us and brought us supplies and genuinely cared. NOT the "brothers and sisters" who supposedly love us unconditionally.

• venus
    venus

True Christianity is all about social altruism (Mathew 25:31-46), and true Christians are found scattered in all religions--even among JWs.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Jehovah`s Witnesses and the JW Religious organization are in the main parasites on society bleeding what they can out of the world and giving/contributing nothing back into it

.And I was guilty of that as much as any other JW in my 33 years as a JW.

They have all the excuses in the world that one can think of to not support this or that charity / humanitarian relief fund/ disaster fund or anything else that the world asks for to alleviate human suffering of one sort or another.

What do they offer ? a scripture or two or three and then in a sense say "Go in peace" offering no practical help or assistance.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Send them Bibles, don't send them food aid

Yes that makes sense, then the children can tear off pages of the bible and eat them.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I remember knocking on one door and a woman saying Jehovah's Witnesses should be helping the homeless and the poor. I think she worked for a charity.

I had no answer for it. I couldn't think of a reason why we didn't. About an hour later i thought of what I should have said... some crap about "Jesus also fed people spiritually ^_^".

Yes, i was that indoctrinated.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

This is one aspect that really bothered me even when I was all-in. I haven't seen anything official on it in while some time. I know alot of JWs are stuck in the past and hold quite strongly to old light, it's this still taught though? If so, can anyone point me to an article from the last 10 yrs or so?

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Lost in fog,

I remember in 2010 still in the Borg I had knee surgery. Two cards hoping I get well soon looking forward to see me back at the meetings and field service. Now out of the Borg this last September I had my back surgery. My new so called worldly friends I got help by them driving me back and forth from Jamestown to Buffalo to see my doctors, vase of flowers when I came home, cards of hope I will be well soon and how can we help you, brought food, books to read and one person took my wife out and bought us our grocery for that week. I was going overwhelm by their love and concern.

My atheist friends showed more "Good Works" than those n the Borg ever did. It taught me a valuable lesson on how I should be. Still Totally ADD

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

I’m ashamed that I used to refer to the decades of ministry and RBC work as “charity” ..... it never was and never will be!

I am disgusted that any human, never mind a ‘christian’ , would be so dismissive of those in need, especially when it was all throughout the Bible that one would be judged by how they treat people in dire straits,

The witnesses are inhumane on many issues, be it shunning their loved ones, denying blood to children or not caring for those in need via charitable means!

Shame on them!

if you take a moment you can find lots of ways to help. This Christmas we have sent toys to local homeless kids and we have sent boxes of toys (you get given an age and sex) to kids abroad who have little.

Since leaving the JW’s I have given to charities for blankets for Syrian refugees, taken food to the homeless bus and helped cook on it.

I feel ashamed that I have done so little, I really, really do and my gf and I really want to set up something to help the homeless more.

My JW past has me feeling guilty over two issues, any bible study I was involved in and secondly, the lack of charity work and WORSE... the dismissive, flippant, arrogant view of charity I once held.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit