France's niqab ban violates human rights, UN panel says

by Richard_I 20 Replies latest social current

• Richard_I
    Richard_I

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/france-ban-islamic-veil-niqab-human-rights-united-nations-1.4874465

The UN Human Rights Committee said Tuesday that France's ban on the niqab was a violation of human rights, and it called on the government to review the legislation.

France had failed to make the case for its ban, the committee said, giving Paris 180 days to report back to say what actions it had taken. The panel's findings are not legally binding but could influence French courts.

"In particular, the Committee was not persuaded by France's claim that a ban on face covering was necessary and proportionate from a security standpoint or for attaining the goal of 'living together' in society," it said.”

Guess the UN isn’t gonna turn on religion anytime soon 🙄

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Members of the public don't have the right to cover their faces in public.

I'm sure French politicians and lawyers should be able to argue successfully along these lines ...

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Yet another reason why the U.N. needs to be abolished.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Well then, perhaps the UN would be ok with allowing entrance to their facilities with someone covering their face.

I would love for someone close to their headquarters walk up to the entrance with a bed sheet over them and try to get in.

• cofty
    cofty

Imagine being told that you will never again be able to smile at another human being outside your own home for the rest of your entire life. That is is the fate of 50% of the Muslim-majority world.

THAT is a transgression of human rights!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

This is also a cultural thing - it's part of our culture (i.e Western culture) for citizens to show their faces.

It's part of trust, a two-way social thing.

Women in the niqab goes against our culture.

When people park their motorbike and get off it, they must uncover the face by removing the helmet.

If some women wish to wear the niqab at home, that would be weird but legal. Everything else should be illegal as it's against our culture.

• sir82
    sir82

When people park their motorbike and get off it, they must uncover the face by removing the helmet.

You live in the UK, right?

That just sounds so strange. What would happen if someone didn't remove their helmet while walking down the street? Are they subject to arrest?

What if it's a really cold day? Is it forbidden to wear a ski mask?

What if someone has a contagious disease but needs to walk somewhere? Are they not allowed to wear a face mask?

In the US, I can't think of any place where it is (in general) illegal to cover your face. It may look odd, but certainly isn't illegal in itself.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

You live in the UK, right?

That just sounds so strange - bikers removing their helmets after they get off their bikes is strange?

Bollocks, don't be obtuse.

It is the norm in our culture to show our faces.

• cofty
    cofty
    In the US, I can't think of any place where it is (in general) illegal to cover your face. It may look odd, but certainly isn't illegal in itself - Sir82

It's not illegal in the UK either. However most banks, Post offices, filling stations etc do require helmets to be removed.

• sir82
    sir82

Bollocks, don't be obtuse.

Not being obtuse. Your original post stated it was "illegal" to cover your face.

I think you must have edited your post, it doesn't say that now. Oh well, whatever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit