My jw friend keeps preaching to me in e-mails

by Queenme 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Giordano
    Giordano

jwfacts is an excellent source since they quote from the WatchTower publications exclusively.

Since there is a massive amount of information on that site perhaps you might pick a subject heading like 'flip flops' or something you felt angered by. Perhaps the JW Sexual Child Molestation's and the two witness rule.

Good luck!.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Be prepared for her to cut association from you when you respond with the above suggestions.

You will experience the reality of "conditional" friendships. If you become a clone of her and the faith, your "friendship" will continue, but if not, then it will fade.....

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Queenme, I was just like you. I just thought the JWs were another garden-variety Christian group, didn't really know what cult meant besides legalistic. I have been thoroughly disabused of that notion. The things I have learned...

I don't know how much you want to save the friendship. You're in different countries and if these are your only interactions, there's not much there besides childhood nostalgia. People grow apart; you don't have to stay friends with someone who clearly doesn't respect your previous requests to stop the preaching. If you're ambivalent about the friendship or if you still care about her but don't care if she talks to you anymore, ask her a few questions she can't answer or will have very embarrassing answers. Hadriel gave some good ideas. Or tell her you know she's counting time and share some of the "bad news" about the JWs. There's much to choose from--child abuse, false prophecy, hypocrisy; out and out lying; unscriptural doctrines, etc. With conversations like this, making a placement won't be worth it to her. Be firm but gentle and genuine; she might need you later as a true friend.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I hope this community can help me to suggest a suitably friendly but crushing written response to stop her writing any more unwanted jw nonsense.

"Hi jw friend, thanks so much for keeping me up to date on what's going on in the jw organization. I happened to join a forum (jehovahs-witness.com) and am sharing all of this information there. There are some ex-jws there who like to keep up to date on what's going on in the organization so they can help their relatives who are still jws."

OR

"I feel really uncomfortable discussing religion with you. I am happy to keep in touch with you as a friend and discuss non-religious stuff. Thanks for respecting my wishes."

OR

"I noticed you seem really interested in discussing the jw religion with me. If that's the case, I have lots of info to share with you. For example, I read that [insert jw scandal here and links/references]."

• Queenme
    Queenme

Wonderful stuff from you all. So much ammunition for going forward. Yes, Outsiderlookingin, I'm ambivalent about the friendship and haven't much invested in it at the moment. It's more that she keeps writing to me and my sense of politeness makes me feel bad for not replying hence her re-sending previous e-mails as if I didn't receive them. Rebel8 - superb, will definitely use.

When I feel more level headed I will reply and accept the outcome with equanimity.

In any tale there is so much more in the mix especially from our childhood. She was from a rich family and I was from the wrong side of the tracks but she seemed to be desperate to have me as a friend over whom she could lord her worldly possessions, new clothes, hair styles, et al. I have since made good as have my children - and I mean really good - but she still seems to need to harp on all their overseas trips, their rented out mansions, spa weekends, signs herself as your flying friend, etc. It's all so fake and hypocritical.

Jwdom is truly a very grubby corner.

• brandnew
    brandnew
    She's countin time......thats all. Check to make sure its not a group message sent to like 30 + people.😂😂

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit