The Great "Dumbing Down"?

by NotFormer 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

A few old timers on here often refer to the dumbing down of the JW Organisation. What examples can you think of from over the years? (I ask as an interested outsider who was never in)

• garyneal
    garyneal

Many years ago, I used to study the bible with an elder who was with the congregation for a long time. I illustrated that here: Our "Bible Study" with the Jehovah's Witnesses (jehovahs-witness.com)

This elder was well studied with the Bible and the Watchtower belief system and was actually a fairly reasonable man. When I was questioning the entire 1914 teaching and its basis on Jerusalem's desolation in 607 BCE, he even confided with me that if 607 was proven false, it would have severe consequences on the religion being The Truth.

Sadly, he passed away a few years ago but he lived until well in his 90s.

Younger witnesses, including my then in wife, would counter with "we don't serve for dates" response when questioned about the 1914 teaching along with other important teachings that confirm their authority. To them, its about friends and family and just a way of life. When pressed, they may cite certain things like, "We don't believe in hell," or "Christmas Day is not Jesus' birthday," etc. but they don't go too deep.

By the way, the pyramid memorial in Pittsburgh PA was removed. I took a trip there to see it for myself. I guess the WT now no longer has that embarrassing part of their past to explain.

• MillennialDawn
    MillennialDawn

Another example of this "dumbing down" is that the average JW has no clue about the colorful history, or origin, of their organization. JWs are all about looking at the origin of something. They don't celebrate Christmas because it originated as a Pagan Roman holiday. They don't celebrate Easter because it originated as a Babylonian observance to Ishtar, and so on. But when it comes to looking at the origin of their own religious organization, they are happy to remain ignorant. Fun experiment: ask a JW how their HQ known as "Bethel" originated. They'll relate how C. T. Russell named it "Bethel" because it means "House of God". And the story is told in a way that makes it seem the heavens opened up and God himself gave Russell this divine idea. Nope. Russell stole the name from Henry Ward Beecher. Beecher's Congregationalist HQ was named "The Beecher Bethel". In fact, Russell wanted to be just like Beecher, a famous newspaper preacher and orator back then. (Getting your sermon printed in the newspaper was akin to having your sermon syndicated on TV today.) That's why Russell moved to Brooklyn. He wanted to be closer to the action. Bought the Columbia Heights property, which was an old brownstone back then, and started printing as much as he could. Rented out large venues and advertised his sermons in the paper. So the JWs "Bethel" is one giant plagiarism.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

If you approach JW's standing next to a cart, dont expect them to defend their faith or discuss any bible doctrine. They just point to jw.org and tell you that they dont debate.

They dont want to talk about their beliefs and they are incapable of having an open, honest conversation. They have turned into drones.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Talking about turning into drones. I recently had an ultra Orthodox Pioneer Cousin. Look me straight in the face face and say “Wt has always encouraged using the internet for evangelising. You’re going to love this one “Wt has never had an issue with growing beards.” I just give up with these people,

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The 'Babylon book(tm)' and 'Finished Mystery(tm) book, compared to the twee little pastel shaded sheets they use now.

Both books were full of nonsense but at least a bit more 'chewy' than the pappy propaganda served now.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The simplification Of doctrines, e.g, no more prophetic patterns , no “the Greater Moses” or any of the other patterns. You never read of “the John class” or any other class. The parable seem to be simply explained as they are... not having a first and second fulfilment.

Also the New World Translation has been made simpler to read even if it is less accurate. The songs have been changed so people don’t know them by heart now . The meetings are full of silly videos that state the obvious... I could go on.......

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

What little printed material there may be is written at a third grade level. The videos are in the manner of cartoons that would also appeal more to an eight year old mind.

Years ago WT prided themselves on raising people up to at least moderately reasonable level of literacy, now they have joined the race to the bottom of the barrel in a desperate bid to attract more useful slaves.

Of course that is true with most business, political, and religious entities IMO.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee
    What little printed material there may be is written at a third grade level.

Well put. One reason no doubt is that there are lots of JWs in the US who are approaching English as a second language. Despite that, the level of reading level required is very low.

Imagine going to a college level course and seeing that the textbook is written at the level of the current WT. You would probably walk out.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Fed-up

Don't insult 8 year olds

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit