(😏)

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

NotFormer - “****This is hyperbolic and sarcastic in nature.”

"*****So is this."

It is indeed! 😳

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW
    I wrote it as fact, because I believe it to be fact, based on the educated guesses, i.e. speculation

Jesus picked a few men to be a "faithful and discreet slave" in 1919.

This system will meet it's end in 1925.

Armageddon will come in 1975.

The preaching work will be completed by the end of this twentieth century.

You will not graduate before the end of this system.

Just a few examples of what happens when speculation is written as fact. Not trying to be mean.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"Just a few examples of what happens when speculation is written as fact. Not trying to be mean."

I was being sarcastic when I wrote that. I also changed the position as soon as it was apparent that it was wrong. AFAIK, Rutherford and Knorr never did.

Heck, it wasn't even meant to be a position. It was written as an aside to a question about the WT's use and analysis of their internal data. This whole thread went off on a giant tangent.

Truth be told, I was hoping that if it did go off on a tangent, that we'd be talking about Logan 5 and Jessica 6.

• usualusername1
    usualusername1

I know in the 80s they let us know that 40,000 were disfellowshipped. Back then they had 4 million witnesses. So the number facing judicial committees must have been far higher.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I have always heard that the disfellowshipped account for around 1% of publishers. 80,000 disgruntled and alienated people per year adds up pretty fast.... even if you consider the return rate at 50%. And, half or more of those are probably PIMO.

So, the number of disfellowshipped and PIMO's due to the DF poilcy could very well be more than active members in just a 15 year period.

The imploding we are seeing is self-inflicted. I told my brother once that the organization will one day close because they will announce that they have disfellowshipped nearly everyone. It was a joke, but he was oddly amused by the statement. I often wonder how many lives he has destroyed in his nearly 50 year career as an elder. He was appointed at age 19.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Sea Breeze - “…The imploding we are seeing is self-inflicted…”

Agreed.

When the WTS was young, the majority of members were there because they’d wanted to join.

These days, it seems like the majority who stay do so because they’re afraid to leave.

Which is not conducive to a healthy, sustainable membership, because eventually, most overcome that fear, for one reason or another.

And once that happens…

• Elmer
    Elmer

Hi SeaBreeze. Your brother was appointed as an Elder at 19? Maybe as an MS., but NOT as an Elder.

• DisgruntledFool
    DisgruntledFool

Elmer, this scenario is not as far fetched as you might imagine. 50 years ago, the Governing Body was still a new arrangement as was the Elder arrangement. New procedures and rules were being considered and implemented and others discarded. In 1972 I was 17 and serving (I hate that word) where the need was great. I was told that if I stayed at this assignment I would be made a Ministerial Servant (pre-approved by the Service Department) and at age 19 I would be made an Elder (That appointment I was told needed to go before the Governing Body for approval but the Circuit Overseer did not see an issue). You can take SeaBreeze at their word.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

@Elmer

No, he was appointed elder at 19. He was married at 18 and had a baby very soon therafter. He had a natural gullible look on his face nearly all the time. The kind of look where you could just tell he would do anything he was told. In other words, elder material. And, he spoke Spanish. May have been a Spanish speaking congregation where he was appointed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit