My son finally got his first car

by Tameria2001 12 Replies latest social family

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

On Saturday my son finally got around to getting his driver's license, and then on Monday, he bought his first car. You might be thinking he is 16 or 17, but you'd be wrong. He is almost 22 and in his third year of college. I guess he finally got tired of having to walk everywhere or relying on others for helping him to get where he needed to go. Now maybe he'll come home a little more often for visits, his school is only an hour and a half away.

• waton
    waton

Tammy, he must have good part time jobs to do all that, congrats.

• Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

He did, but he saved his money and paid cash for it, so no car payments. He's very wise when it comes to money, even more so than his parents.

• zeb
    zeb

At 22 he has a wisdom and discernment that at 17 is often missing. Well done to him and congrats to you for a son who has a goal and who is getting there.

and what is he doing at college if I may ask?

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    OMG kids can drive at 16 in the states??? Thats little short of insane. Even 18 is pushing it. I think it should be 21 personally.
  • Tameria2001
    Tameria2001

@zeb He started out in Business Management and Marketing, but did some research and switched over to Electrical Engineering this past January.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

That`s nice Tammy sounds like your son has his head screwed on right and I wish him well in his studies .

He's very wise when it comes to money, even more so than his parents.

Sounds like my boys and their parents

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

Tamaria

I sent you a PM.

• Incognigo Montoya
    Incognigo Montoya
    My kids were on their early 20s before getting their licenses or cars. They showed little interest in getting them at 16, and though I tried to interest them and work with them through those years, they just didnt seem to care. In speaking with friends who have kids about the same age, it seems they also didnt care, and didnt get a license or cars until they were much older. This Is the new normal. It's hard for me to understand as having a license and a car was my generations, and the preceding generations, ticket to freedom. It's how we socialized. With the advent of the internet, and specifically social media and smart phones, young adults can socialize without leaving home. So they dont seem to care as much. Add to that Uber/Lyft, Byrd and Lime scooters, and the many other ride share and transportation innovations that are changing the need for car ownership, and I think this is just the beginning of the end of our love affair with automobiles. On the flip side, you cant get injured in a computer crash, or pregnant in the back seat of the internet... 😆
  • snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Got my provisional licence on my 17th birthday and passed my test within a few months. I immediately got a job driving a bread van. Good money for a lad! Back then you could drive anything up to 3 tons between 17 and 20. Once you were 21 you could drive virtually anything on a standard car licence; no HGV or special weight restrictions at all.

I was 19 when I bought my first car: A 1949 Austin Devon. Like this. Pretty cool eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit