JW scientist banned from Institute's WebSite because of Creationistic Views

by GermanXJW 229 Replies latest jw friends

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Realist:

Where is your responce to the modern "viewpoints" I cited? I can provide more, if you want...

My point? Reposted:

"Many of the scientists quoted believe strongly in evolutionary theory, but the point is that their comments on various aspects of evolutionary theory at least reveal that there is discontent and a lack of consensus over many crucial aspects of naturalistic theories. One does get the impression that evolutionary theory as a whole, or at least in part, is by no means without its qualified skeptics in the academic arena. It is my true desire that anyone with the belief that evolutionary theory is 100% solid and not doubted by any legitimate scientists might be dissuaded from that perspective by reading these quotes. It is my hope that after reading these quotes you would also be able to come to some of these conclusions for yourself."

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Problems of evolution

• "[No] one is sure that even the questions are right [in] ... evolutionary biology"

"All scholarly subjects seem to go through cycles, from periods when most of the answers seem to be known to periods when no one is sure that even the questions are right. Such is the case for evolutionary biology. Twenty years ago Mayr, in his Animal Species and Evolution, seemed to have shown that if evolution is a jigsaw puzzle, then at least all the edge pieces were in place. But today we are less confident and the whole subject is in the most exciting ferment. Evolution is both troubled from without by the nagging insistencies of antiscientists and nagged from within by the troubling complexities of genetic and developmental mechanisms and new questions about the central mystery-speciation itself. In looking over recent literature in and around the field of evolutionary theory, I am struck by the necessity to reexamine the simpler foundations of the subject, to distinguish carefully between what we know and what we merely think we know. The first and strongest of our critics to be answered should be ourselves." (Thomson K.S., "The Meanings of Evolution," American Scientist, Vol. 70, pp.529-531, September-October 1982, p.529).

[top]
  • Realist
    Realist

thichi,

Where is your responce to the modern "viewpoints" I cited? I can provide more, if you want...

what modern viewpoints? i posted the article of the most recent one (1999) from the end of your list!

It is my true desire that anyone with the belief that evolutionary theory is 100% solid and not doubted by any legitimate scientists might be dissuaded from that perspective by reading these quotes. It is my hope that after reading these quotes you would also be able to come to some of these conclusions for yourself."

still...why is that your desire?

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

What is wrong with these viewpoints?

• "The theory that all the living forms in the world have arisen from a single source which itself came from an inorganic form"
      • "The evidence that supports it is not sufficiently strong to allow us to consider it as anything more than a working hypothesis"

"There is a theory which states that many living animals can be observed over the course of time to undergo changes so that new species are formed. This can be called the "Special Theory of Evolution " and can be demonstrated in certain cases by experiments. On the other hand there is the theory that all the living forms in the world have arisen from a single source which itself came from an inorganic form. This theory can be called the "General Theory of Evolution" and the evidence that supports it is not sufficiently strong to allow us to consider it as anything more than a working hypothesis. It is not clear whether the changes that bring about speciation are of the same nature as those that brought about the development of new phyla. The answer will be found by future experimental work and not by dogmatic assertions that the General Theory of Evolution must be correct because there is nothing else that will satisfactorily take its place." (Kerkut G.A., "Implications of Evolution," in Kerkut G.A., ed. "International Series of Monographs on Pure and Applied Biology, Division: Zoology," Volume 4, Pergamon Press: New York NY, 1960, p.157).

[top]
  • There can be no true theory of evolution
    • "we can no more have a theory of developmental interactions than we can have a theory of history .... So can we really have a true theory of evolution?"

"To have a theory of evolution we need a theory of development; but to have a theory of development we need a theory of molecular interactions during the construction of an organism. We don't have a theory of interactions and so it is difficult to have a comprehensive theory of evolution. Indeed, I shall argue that we can no more have a theory of developmental interactions than we can have a theory of history, despite the attempts to produce one. So can we really have a true theory of evolution? Both individual development and evolution are the result of chance, ungoverned by any 'laws' of nature." (Dover G., "Dear Mr Darwin: Letters on the Evolution of Life and Human Nature," [1999], University of California Press: Berkeley CA, 2000, reprint, pp.xii-xiii)

[top]
  • ThiChi
    ThiChi

Realist:

Why? Because your claims are not as absolute as you think. Not everyone in this field are speaking with one voice, that must give one pause. It sure does me!

• rem
    rem

ThiChi,

It must really give you pause that creationists don't speak with one voice either. Hint: There is a huge gulf between ID creationists and literal bible special creationists. Of course you can't forget the innumerable number of theories in between. There is a much larger difference between those views than the technicalities that scientists (rightfully) debate.

rem

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Rem:

I agree with you! I believe that at the very least, an open mind is required to look at all the so called "facts" "discoveries" that we place on the table. That has been my only claim.

I have been influenced by you and other posters here. More than you think. I will not discount or ignore any information that may be relevant to the truth.

• Realist
    Realist

thichi,

Because your claims are not as absolute as you think. Not everyone in this field are speaking with one voice, that must give one pause.

oh they are very absolute. the problem is that you obviously don't understand what a scientific debate is.

It sure does me!

thats unfortunate.

"There is a theory which states that many living animals can be observed over the course of time to undergo changes so that new species are formed. This can be called the "Special Theory of Evolution " and can be demonstrated in certain cases by experiments. On the other hand there is the theory that all the living forms in the world have arisen from a single source which itself came from an inorganic form. This theory can be called the "General Theory of Evolution" and the evidence that supports it is not sufficiently strong to allow us to consider it as anything more than a working hypothesis. It is not clear whether the changes that bring about speciation are of the same nature as those that brought about the development of new phyla. The answer will be found by future experimental work and not by dogmatic assertions that the General Theory of Evolution must be correct because there is nothing else that will satisfactorily take its place." (Kerkut G.A., "Implications of Evolution," in Kerkut G.A., ed. "International Series of Monographs on Pure and Applied Biology, Division: Zoology," Volume 4, Pergamon Press: New York NY, 1960, p.157). [top]

from 1960...outdated and does not put evolution in question in the first place.

"To have a theory of evolution we need a theory of development; but to have a theory of development we need a theory of molecular interactions during the construction of an organism. We don't have a theory of interactions and so it is difficult to have a comprehensive theory of evolution. Indeed, I shall argue that we can no more have a theory of developmental interactions than we can have a theory of history, despite the attempts to produce one. So can we really have a true theory of evolution? Both individual development and evolution are the result of chance, ungoverned by any 'laws' of nature." (Dover G., "Dear Mr Darwin: Letters on the Evolution of Life and Human Nature," [1999], University of California Press: Berkeley CA, 2000, reprint, pp.xii-xiii) [top]

this man is talking about master control genes, how they control embryonic development and how changes in these genes can lead to rapid changes in morphology. this article does of course not at all put evulotion in question.

PS: i will not further reply to any copy pasted nonsense. if you want a discussion write your own arguments not irrelevant, outdated or misquoted articles.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    As you quote a web page?

ThiChi, like I say, you’re amusing. Your lack of grasp of sarcasm is especially funny.

Wow! How do you know what I have read?

By the fact you post outdated bollocks and very bad arguments. You don’t know what you’re talking about, and it shows in your argument. Your arrogance in assuming you can in one evening get a good grasp of a massive amount of science is hilarious, especially since you are only looking at it from the viewpoint you want to defend, and don’t even know enough about the viewpoint you’re attacking to see the errors or weaknesses in the arguments you cut and paste. There are some points worth talking about AMONGST the verbiage you’ve posted, but that’s just chance, and I’m sure you don’t know which are the good points you’ve made and which are the silly ones. Prove me wrong.

If you do a search, I have brought in the author of Forbidden Archeology for a Q & A here (via e-mail). So once more, you proceed from a false assumption.

No, your lack of comprehension is obvious. If you’ve got someone else helping, it might help if we talk to the Organ grinder rather than the monkey, don’t you think? And arguments from authority never impress me, and normally, they wouldn't impress you. Why the inconsistancy?

On the other hand there is the theory that all the living forms in the world have arisen from a single source which itself came from an inorganic form. This theory can be called the "General Theory of Evolution" and the evidence that supports it is not sufficiently strong to allow us to consider it as anything more than a working hypothesis.

How replication may have arisen through protobionts et. al. can be demonstrated by example as a possibility, even if not replicated in a lab. There are other examples in nature showing how an organic entity of some description can gain the ability to pass on information, even if that organic entity is not alive in the conventional sense of the word. If you had a basic knowledge of biology you'd know this. Oh, and ‘single source’ in that above passage is a good example of bad science. If you had a basic knowledge of biology you'd know this. Who said that where?

There is considerably more evidence supporting the theories regarding a natural development of life than any theology can provide, more than Creationism and Intelligent design can provide. These philosophies are not even working hypothesis, they are unfounded conjecture.

Which do you think is more sensible to believe in? The theory that can show some evidence that such things can happen in such a way, or the theory that has no evidence?

I look forward to your answer to that question, or will you avoid answering it?

Oh, and as Realist says, post your own arguments. You don’t known enough to select the ones you cut and paste without selecting unscientific, irrelevant or out-dated ones, just like the Society do.

I used to find Creationist/JW counter evolutionary arguments convincing. I can hear myself parroting the ‘jumbo jet in a scrap yard’ argument, and the ‘watch-maker’ argument. It was only after I had a basic grasp of Biology and scientific methodology that I could see how stupid these arguments were.

If you have an open mind, go to a bookshop and buy some biology textbooks. Read them, and I’m not even talking about the sections on Evolution, but get a good grasp of fundamental biology. Then look at the evolutionary arguments. Then look at the counter arguments. See what you believe then, when you don't have to accept my word for it or some Creationist's word for it. Take responsibility for yourself.

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Abaddon

Wow! It seems you are the one lacking any perspective as to the points made.

Again, you proceed from many false assumptions

Examining your words closely is very telling:

.""your lack of comprehension is obvious. If you’’ve got someone else helping""

You betray yourself. Any college educated person knows the value of questioning an Author or submitting questions related to the field of interest within a debate. Your comments show that you are either not college educated, or ignorant and closed minded to the value of intercourse. I have proved by this example that I have more than a passing interest and willing to go to the source. Your claim of standing on your own arguments is betraying the work and progress of others in the arena of Ideas, and really impossible.

However, it seems you have invented some sort of closed, self sufficient world where you and you alone can postulate and argue without the benefit of anyone else. Bravo! Do you sell tickets to the event? Outrageous? Yes it is, but so is your claim.

""""By the fact you post outdated bollocks and very bad arguments. You don’’t know what you’’re talking about, and it shows in your argument."""""

The fact is the information was taken from a current College Based Group that is academically active and recognized in this field. The only outdated information that really is obvious is your ever changing Facts related to this most interesting field of "Working Theories" as one Stanch Evolutionist exclaimed.

What is very telling is that you have provided nothing (except a web site, double standards?) of substance, except your "pronouncements" of wright or wrong. Using your own requirements, you are a fraud.

I have demmonstrated that even your Icons are more intellectually honest than you. An example:

"The absence of fossil evidence for intermediary stages between major transitions in organic design, indeed our inability, even in our imagination, to construct functional intermediates in many cases, has been a persistent and nagging problem for gradualistic accounts of evolution." (Stephen J. Gould (Professor of Geology and Paleontology, Harvard University), 'Is a new and general theory of evolution emerging?' Paleobiology, vol 6(1), January 1980, pg 127)

Your and Realist’s reply? Insults, and intellectually dishonest tactics and fallacies based on a hidden agenda.

"Which do you think is more sensible to believe in? The theory that can show some evidence that such things can happen in such a way, or the theory that has no evidence?"

Here is a good example of only offering a false choice. Your question itself begs the question: How much is "some evidence" compared to all the evidence? Is there one current theory or many? I provided recent and past quotes from Stanch Evolutionists pondering, basically the same questions. Which you and Realist reject out of hand. You two are either the Eienstein’s of the new millennium, or are closed minded, irreverent fools (sorry, but I am betting on the latter).

I do know this as a fact, from a purely mathematically based perspective, if life does not qualify as a miracle, I do not know what does.

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit