Jobs you weren't aloud to have

by JH 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

What job or career would you have loved to do, but being a JW, you weren't aloud to do that?

And how about the College or University course you couldn't get because the end was too close.

Did you miss good job opportunities because of the Watchtowers expectations?

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

I wanted to be on the SWAT team.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

The job I'm getting into now: Crime Scene Investigation. Many CSI's have to be sworn police officers that carry guns. Plus, I'd have to be on call and could miss several meetings .

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Psychiatry. I'm pretty good at talking with people and I would have loved exploring all the nuances of the field.

Maybe in the next life.

• JH
    JH

I remember one time 2 elders came over to talk to me and wondered why I missed many meetings. I said, I work over 50 hours a week sometimes. They said that I should let the job go and try to work in the cleaning business so that I miss less meetings.

Sure, let a job go when you earn 22$ an hour times 50 hours. yea sure....

The job was only seasonal. I had to work that much to make ends meet when I was layed off. But they didn't care about that.

What frustrated the elders is that they wanted me to go up in the org. and I didn't want.

Any job that interfered with meetings was a bad job.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky
    They said that I should let the job go and try to work in the cleaning business so that I miss less meetings.

I always wondered why so many JW's had cleaning businesses. My mother and two sisters have thier own cleaning businesses also. I remember helping my mother clean hospitals, doctors offices and banks. Talk about a horrible job. I will never forget having to empty out a huge garbage can full of old leg & arm casts. OMG! The smell was dreadfull!!! I am sooooo glad I didn't end up doing that for a living.

• foreword
    foreword

JH,

I'm sure they would've been happy to have you work in "their" business at 5 bucks an hour while they invoiced at 25. That's what they meant.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I remember helping my mother clean hospitals, doctors offices and banks. Talk about a horrible job.

Amen. I HATED it. My parents started janitorial when I was 14 and I had to go help, even on school nights. I remember working until midnight (sometimes later if they didn't feel like driving me home) and then having to get up for school the next day. They used to paw through the trash and pick out the old snack treats that had been thrown away from the snack machine for us kids to eat. They smelled like cigarettes.

Back then everyone smoked in offices and emptying the garbage meant your hands turned black from all the cigarette butts and ash. We cleaned medical buildings and the worst was the orthopedic surgeon's office. Those old casts smelled horrible.

Ah yes, memories. What a fine organization that encourages its members to dumb themselves down and wallow in other people's garbage instead of fulfilling their potential.

I'm sure they would've been happy to have you work in "their" business at 5 bucks an hour while they invoiced at 25.

I know this happened. An elder had his own cleaning business and this is exactly what he did to us. We lived in government apartments whilst he drove around in a nice car and had a big house. No one said anything about it until the IRS did an audit of him. Turns out he had been a very naughty boy.

• rocketman
    rocketman

JH, it suire is good you didn't give up that job!

• foreword
    foreword

Naughty boy....impossible....they were just making up lies to make the org look bad.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit