Why do (did) the majority of the general population see the JWS is a decisive fraud ?

by Finkelstein 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The JWS /IBSA have been going door to door now for over 100 years in many lands and countries, with numerous pieces of supporting literature counting in the millions.

You would think after all of the publicizing that the JWS faith would have grown leaps and bounds but to date the JWS has only 8 million following adherents.

Other Christian based faiths have grown vastly more but never publicly proselytized their faith to the extent the JWS have..

My basic concise guess is that they see this organization as a bit of commercialized fraud, orchestrated by a religious publishing house namely the Watchtower Corporation, trying to get people to purchase and read the WTS's literature.

and yes the WTS did place a set price on its literature including yearly subscriptions.

Was it just too obvious ?

Did the WTS not think that many people who they called on were from even bigger and older established Christian faiths but didn't say or preach what the WTS was preaching in their apparent version of the Gospel ?

I know of few people who took the Watchtower or Awake to their pastor or minister and with the usual resulting answer was this is a tainted corrupt version of the Gospel designed for literature proliferation.

Well the JWS are still around and many like myself still have family deeply involved with the JWS to my chagrin.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Was it just too obvious ?

I think it's only part of it. In my experience, the turn-off isn't what they preach and teach; it's precisely the fact that people aren't willing to do the house-to-house thing. I've heard a lot of people stating that they find that religion interesting, but they aren't willing to put up with all the requirements to remain in good standing.

So in my opinion, it's a combination of yes, not liking what they teach, but also not liking what they are expected to do if they join.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Hey Fink, don't over think it. The majority of people have no fixed opinion based on such reasoning. Just look at how JW's are portrayed in popular culture. They are portrayed as kooks, rubes and zealots. No one cares about the money anymore because they don't ask for any. Now the carts are full of free junk. Hell, they don't talk to anyone anymore either. In the movies they were once the butt of jokes as crazy people, remember this?

coneheads

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Good point Scratchme

Yes remember that scene WasanElder

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Their fashion statement. Who wear suits in 100 degree weather and women in their 60's outfits, it's 2018 folks.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yes I agree with scratchme1010. The reason that it has been surpassed in growth by newer religions, is its level of commitment. Many of these charismatic mega churches are growing because it's services are entertainment and it' easy come and easy go.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

We were friends with a nice couple in the congregation when we were first married. She was a JW, he wasn't. We had meals at their house quite a few times. He was very successful although I can't remember what he did. One time my husband asked him why he didn't come along with his wife and he said if you belong to a club you have to obey all the rules. I think a lot of people see it like that, good for them. I wish I'd listened to him

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Hey Fink, something I'd never considered while I was "in" is the thinly veiled message which JW's basically hit householders with; "Whatever religion or faith you have, it's false. Only we have the truth & God's approval, and if you don't abandon your present religion and join us, you and your loved ones will soon be destroyed - forever!" Trolley JW's are probably now relieved that they don't have to continue with this attitude of arrogance anymore.

• Fred Franztone
    Fred Franztone

Most people couldn't care less about the JWs. I've met hundreds of people in my life who haven't even heard of them, they aren't that well known anymore, assuming they ever were. They account for a mere 0.1% of the world's population, which is nothing, and most of their growth is in poverty-stricken places like Africa and the US

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Are the only two options 1) join JWs or 2) see JWs as a decisive fraud? Looks like a false dichotomy to me, since there are a variety of responses to JWs including joining, sympathising, disagreeing, apathy, indifference, opposing, undecided.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit