Grafittis... Art or Vandalism?

by JH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

When you see a grafitti on a wall, do you consider this to be art or vandalism?

Although some grafittis are nice, how would you feel if this was made on your property?Wonder why no one ever thought of making one on a Kindom Hall.

• manon
    manon

Graffiti is both art & vandalism. It becomes vandalism when you deface private property. In art terms graffiti is considered fast food art. Artist use this medium to express themselves in public setting because of the lack of space and resources available to poor inner city artist. It is the cheapest way to get yourself/art notice as well as get arrested. It's art, marketing, publicity all rolled into one package.

• manon
    manon

Famous grafitti artists who vandalized NYC streets during the late 70's early 80's include Jean Michel Basquiat/Keith Harding.

In the NYC subways advertisers would prepare spaces of black matted paper and then come later on to glue the advertisements. Keith Harding would chalk up these black canvesses with his famous barking dogs & crawling baby his work was seen all over the subway systems raw.

• NaruNaruChan
    NaruNaruChan

Part of graffiti's art is the fact that one, it's done fast, and two , it's on someone else's property... generally speaking, city property is used for graffiti murals "pieces" and it's usually because where else can you find a canvas that big and ugly as a city cement wall? I think it's lovely, unless it's just a "tag" or a scribble. That's childish "representin'" type of stuff.

Naru

(Of the Ex-JW and Ex- graffiti fiend class)

• hurt
    hurt

Some graffittis are great art.

Most graffittis are simply annoying.

• Simon
    Simon

Depends where and what it is. Some of it is very good but if it's in the wrong place ... then it's vandalism.

A rose in a potato field is a weed just as a potato in a rose garden.

• JH
    JH

Unless you ask permission, it's vandalism.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

JH so if someone the likes of Michealangelo came by painted something on a dirty alley wall that no one gave a damn about, it's vandalism?

I agree with everyone so far...it is art, but the tags are just annoying. It's pretty rare that people's houses get painted. Mostly it's ugly brick walls that nobody noticed.

To me it is art and I find it facinating.

• JH
    JH

Joannadandy,

a dirty alley wall belongs to someone.

Depends where and what it is. Some of it is very good but if it's in the wrong place ... then it's vandalism.
    Ditto Simon
  • joannadandy
    joannadandy

Does it belong to you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit