What are some things JWs re-name to make themselves different than Christians?

by NikL 33 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

B.C. = B.C.E.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Mass = Lord's Evening Meal

Bishop = Circuit Overseer

Cardinal = Branch Overseer

Waste of time = Field service

Cross = Stake

Oh, an interesting tidbit, according to my college history instructor, during the time Jesus supposedly lived, the Romans executed their prisoners by having them carry one piece of the cross to another piece which was already planted in the ground. Meaning that while Jesus may have carried a "stake" he would have been executed on a cross. Making this both a pointless distinction and technically inaccurate.

• zeb
    zeb

I got so sick of hearing the term 'arrangement'. and the other piece of wt speak 'mental regulating'..

• smiddy
    smiddy

Wasn`t it Terry O`Brien @ the ARC who didnt understand the word or meaning of pastoral ?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, all the above posts are true.

Jehovah's Witnesses differ just for the sake of being different. Once I was out of the religion and analyzed and compared I realized it's all so stupid and childish.

In all the years I was active as a JW I used the term "Old Testament" instead of Christian Greek scriptures. I refused to use their term.

• NikL
    NikL

Jehovah's Witnesses differ just for the sake of being different. Once I was out of the religion and analyzed and compared I realized it's all so stupid and childish.

So true LongHair!

• joker
    joker

In my area most all churches are listed in the phone book under the heading "churches".

but when I was in, the elders always made sure that the kh was listed under the heading jw. And it was in the residential section.

all the churches were listed in the yellow pages, very easy to find.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Cults tend to create their own jargon. It's s hallmark. It makes it easier to identify true cult members and weed out the fakers. It also makes them feel unique.

"3) Loading the Language – This is the jargon of the cult, which take the form of quick easy phrases and statements that only have meaning to the cultists. Such jargon encourages isolationism and cloning."

http://www.theness.com/index.php/the-prey-of-cults/

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

A friend of mine (worldly person) attended the kingdom hall (church) with me once out of curiosity. During the Watchtower study (indoctrination session) he heard the JW phrase "reaching out" and asked me what it meant. I replied "brown-nosing" and explained that it only applied to brothers (baptized males). During the rest of the meeting my friend paid particular attention to those brothers that had privileges (microphone carrying) and to those brothers who answered the questions read by the Watchtower overseer (religious instructor).

After the meeting ones of these brothers came over to introduce himself and his wife (love bombing) to my friend. After introductions (start the field service time clock) my friend sarcastically said to the brother "It was good to see you reaching out in your church today." The wanna-be ministerial servant (church cleaner) replied: "Thank you. I always try to put Jehovah (Watchtower corporation) first in all things." My friend broke down in laughter.

• EyesOpenHeartBroken
    EyesOpenHeartBroken

"Speaking the pure language" = using all the above mentioned WT engineered words fluently and fluidly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit