William Miller

by lepavoux 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• vienne
    vienne

Crofty,

Miller developed a distinctive hermeneutic, a doctrinal set unique to Adventism. It differed in key areas from traditional belief systems. Russellism does not use the Adventist belief system nor did Russell use Adventist exegesis. Russell was raised in Calvinism. Calvinist students of prophecy were Literalists.

When Russell settled on a belief system it was Literalism that he chose, adopting almost entire American Literalism, usually described as Age to Come belief. This system has its roots in the Ancient church. Mom discusses all of this at length in the introduction to Separate Identity, vol 2.

Adventists and Literalists slugged it out doctrinally, and sometimes they were verbally abusive. Adventists shunned Literalists. The two differed on end times events, the status of the Jews, and other matters. Russell was not an Adventist.

He wasn't influenced in doctrine by Masons either. That's one of the silliest claims I've read here. Some point to the cross and crown symbol on Zion's Watch Tower. It was commonly use by churches and in that usage predates any Masonic use of it. And can you find a place where that symbolism is distinctively Masonic? The whole Russell was a Mason claim is myth. I know it appears that I advertise mom's books here, but she and Bruce, her writing partner and series 'editor', address these issues as academics, not as myth makers. And I think people should read the three books that have been published to date. They are detailed. The research is reproducible. And they are even-handed, knocking off myths crafted by those who admire Russell and those who hate him.

For many years my mom was the principal editor of their history blog, taking over from B. W. Schulz during a prolonged illness. It is worth reading. https://truthhistory.blogspot.com/

You should note that mom's introductory essay to Separate Identity, vol. 2, delves into the roots of Russellism and examines the question of Russellite Adventism. An appendix to vol 1 considers Russell and the Masons. Their book on Barbour is being revised. I'd wait to buy that until the revision comes out. I've been reading Bruce's rough drafts. Interesting.

Separate Identity vol 1 is moderately priced. Vol 2 as paper is more expensive; it's twice as long as v. 1. But volume two is available as an ebook for about half the cost.

Detest Witnesses if you must. Reject Russell's theology, some of which seem silly to me. But at least do it in an informed way. Stop parroting the fake, silly, misguided nonsense that fills the Internet.

-Annie

• minimus
    minimus

Still. There’s no argument that Russell was influenced by Masonry. Do you agree??

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

In the early church you had people that taught Premillennialism in the form that Christ would pop up as King on earth and restore it. You had people that believed the torment of the damned lasted 1,000 years "only" or that they after ages of torment would be saved, perhaps even more charitable views. But I have never heard of anyone in Christian context prior to Russell claiming that almost all the dead would be raised on earth to education and second chance. On the other hand it is hard to imagine he made it up himself 😊

• cofty
    cofty

Thank you Annie.

• cofty
    cofty

Pete I get vienne's frustration.
    The idea that Russell was influenced by Masonic rituals has been debunked so many times and so thoroughly by thoughtful posters it is astonishing that the myth won't die. I guess people prefer a mystery to facts they ought to have known but didn't.

Even what vienne and her late mum have posted in this forum has shown how poor most exJWs knowledge is of the origins of the religion. Most seem happy that way.

• sparky1
    sparky1

www.pastor-Russell.com/life/mason2.html

www.pastor-Russell.com/life/mason1.html

Contrary to popular mythology there is no reason to believe that Pastor Russell was "influenced by Masonry".

• minimus
    minimus

Zions Watch Tower has some Masonic symbols doesn’t it?

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

I am sure as an occultist there was some fellow ground, whatever you want to call it

http://www.watchthetower.net/russell.html

• cofty
    cofty

Mini - No.

Joen - Russell was not an 'occultist'.

• vienne
    vienne

Zion's Watch Tower doesn't have any Masonic symbols. It has a representation of Christian armor [Ephesians six] in one corner and the cross and crown symbol in the other. The cross and crown symbol was not of Masonic origin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit