Please share your holiday plans

by Biahi 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Biahi
    Biahi

What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving and Christmas? Or is it too early to ask? We are having Thanksgiving dinner at my nieces house. Christmas with the grandkids. Already done with Christmas shopping (most of it).

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Me and the wife will have TG dinner by our-self's. Same with Xmas. We want to go on a cruise this winter. Somewhere in the Caribbean.

• jhine
    jhine

British so don't do Thanksgiving. For Christmas my hubby and l are going to my eldest Granddaughter's with my daughter and her partner and my youngest Granddaughter. Oh plus Barry the Shitzu puppy who hasn't seen a Christmas tree yet , should be fun .

Jan

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

BIAHI:

Getting together with family! 👍🏻 I wish a Happy Holiday Season to everybody!

JHINE:

Yes, Thanksgiving is pretty much a US holiday - the Pilgrims, the New World, etc.

I like Thanksgiving because people get together with relatives and/or friends and have a nice meal with the trimmings, pleasant talk. Nothing wrong with that. I always wondered why the Witnesses frowned on it because it’s not necessarily religious!

Well, I had a rude awakening years ago during the Thanksgiving holiday. Here I was isolating myself like some idiot fighting a private war. I needlessly deprived myself of a good meal and association with my real family (who were the only people who REALLY cared about me). Instead I looked at four walls alone. I also noticed all the JWs disappeared during the holidays.. I was grateful for this lightbulb moment that started to pave the way for my eventual ‘Fade’ from this vacuum of a religion several years later!

I realized the reason the religion doesn’t want you to associate with family or non-JWs. They are simply afraid when you receive unconditional love and acceptance from people who aren’t judging you, you might not want the religion anymore!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

My daughter usually does the Thanksgiving dinner. We love the all natural, no hormone turkeys that we have done for several years. One year we did a turduckin. Duck stuffed into a chicken stuffed into a turkey. That was the one and only time for that. It isn't worth the $$$$. This year we are doing something different. She ordered a beef tenderloin. I'm sure it will be delicious. Then for Christmas, we are ordering the all natural turkey. A little switching around with the meals this holiday season.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete
    LongHairGal

Well, I had a rude awakening years ago during the Thanksgiving holiday. Here I was isolating myself like some idiot fighting a private war....... I looked at four walls alone. I also noticed all the JWs disappeared during the holidays..

The Jehovah Witness religion is not a good place for single people.

The isolation the religion creates for "Single People" is very unhealthy Mentally, and Emotionally.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PISTOLPETE:

Yes, you are certainly right about that.

In fact, in reading other things online it seems other Christian religions ALSO treat singles badly - especially single women. Luckily, I am not religious because I would NEVER set foot anywhere I would be viewed as a drudge who will do favors (not gonna happen)..OR who is out to steal somebody’s man away 🙄.

Luckily for me when I was a JW I kept my full-time job and had associations other than Witnesses. But, this was to my advantage when it was time to ‘Fade’. It went smoothly because somebody like me who was on the fringes of the congregation was hardly missed initially.

Now, it’s all in my rear view mirror and I can enjoy the Holidays and association with people who care about me, like the rest of the ‘normal’ human race does.

• jhine
    jhine

LongHairGal I'm not sure what you have been reading but as a woman in a mainstream religion that has not been my experience. I am on the PCC of my local church which is a pretty even split of men to women .

I do the readings and prayers once a month at my preferred church service - Evensong .

I was on my own for a couple of years when l was widowed and that status made no difference to what l was " allowed " to do .

I am curious are you American ?

Jan

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

My holiday plans revolve around the New Year.

Hogmanay is big in Scotland and I have some friends and family up in the Scottish Highlands.

I'm going to save up some money, and hopefully they'll invite me.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    What is everyone doing for Thanksgiving and Christmas?

As a Brit, thanksgiving is meaningless to me.

As for Christmas, probably nothing much. I tend to end up at the Polish side of the family the day before hand to do a sort of Catholic Polish Christmas with communion wafers and fish.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit