Even the Overlapping Generations isn't an original concept

by paradisebeauty 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

To my surprise, I found this:

The overlapping generations model is an economic model ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overlapping_generations_model

If those people from wt are inspired, why can't they at least come up with something original ....

• Heartsafire
    Heartsafire
    Yea I read that too on Wikipedia months ago. It's so obvious they pulled that overlapping gen thing as a last ditch effort to keep 1914 relevant with the r&f. It didn't work for me! Lol.
  • pixel
    pixel
    Oh gosh lol
  • cofty
    cofty
    Evidently this is the mathematical proof..
    u(c_t^t,c_t^{t+1}) = U(c_t^t) + \beta U(c_t^{t+1})
    I wonder if JWs will now be required to learn that?
  • Heartsafire
    Heartsafire
    Cofty, by the time the jdubs learn it, the formula will be changed again as new "light". Hee hee.
  • sir82
    sir82

LOL! That's hysterical!

I can see it now: Some dark, gloomy day several years ago, Losch & Morris are pacing in the writing department, worry knitting their brows, when some young flunky comes running up....

"Hey, Brother Losch, Brother Morris, I was reading something on Wikipedia - look what it says here about 'overlapping generations"! I think this is the answer to our prayers!"

Losch & Morris read over the information he's printed off....."Sounds kind of crazy, but we just be able to pull this off!"

And Losch says "Thank you, Brother Sanderson. I see a bright future ahead of you!"

• paradisebeauty
    paradisebeauty

sir82,

I imagined something like this: worried that their investments and sense of business proved to be not so good, they searched the net for some economic knowledge, and they stumbled upon the overlapping generations economic model, and they thought, wow, we can apply this to our doctrine.

Maybe they even thought, the fact the wt is going down financially is happening so they would stumble upon this economic theory that gives them the new light that can keep them going for a few years now.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

The model comes from Irving Fisher... that great calculator of interest and creator of the Fisher transform.

Who knew he was also the FDS... This universe is amazing!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Holy shit, that means Jesus was really an accountant, who new, must have been a miss translation.

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Wasn't this concept addressed in a questions from readers decades ago? Like as far back as the 1950's?

I think even Rutherford may have commented on this

The overlapping generation is not new to the GB

I can imagine this idea was shot down multiple times by 2/3 vote at the GB table over the past several decades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit