meetings

by GirlOnFence 20 Replies latest jw friends

• GirlOnFence
    GirlOnFence

How many of you, go to the occasional meeting? I no longer believe any of the things I was raised to believe... but for some reason I still go to the occasional meeting and I even went to the special assembly last weekend (even though I got there after lunch). I guess it will take a while to completely break away but I was wondering if anyone else is in this situation.

Thanks for reading,

onthefence

• be wise
    be wise

I'm not in this situation myself.

All I can say is please STOP, you will never be able to MOVE ON with your life if you don't.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

It took me 7 years to completely stop attending the meetings.

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Hi Girl on the fence and welcome,

I'm an outsider, so I've never been in a Kingdom Hall at all.

Some here seem to go to occasional meetings. I guess it depends if you are trying to do a slow fade, especially if you have family still in. A lot would depend on your age and level of independence. A little more personal information from you when you are ready would make feedback from others more relevent.

Somehow, sometime, you have to decide what you believe, or ...don't believe. Sitting on the fence forever can make you a very lonely, confused person.

What I am going tosay, is purely a personal, outsider's opinion. It seems the happiest ex JWs( in my opinion) are those who are able to enjoy life again without fear or guilt. I would say that means researching and understanding the organization/cult that you were part of and dealing with whatever psychological issues you have, if you have any. Making new "worldly" friends and enjoying holidays of you wish, and leading a happy successful life. Just......moving beyond the issues and getting on with life and being happy. How long that takes is up to you and your personal situation.

There are lots of people on this forum who can help you along the way if you wish. Have you also checked out www.freeminds.org?

• asortafairytale
    asortafairytale

Hi onthefence!

I pretty much stopped going to meetings just before I turned 18, but I didn't stop believing(most of it, at least), until I was almost 21. I went to a Thursday night meeting every once in a while, and sometimes a Sunday meeting.

It wasn't until I stopped going to meetings completely that finally lost that mindset. I see now how detrimental it was...you know, a part of me hanging on when I knew it wasn't right. I've come a looooong way since then.

~Asortafairytale~

• JH
    JH

No

I stopped going completely

Last meeting was 16 monts ago

Not about to go back.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Welcome to the forum GirlOnFence!!

Just watch out for splinters while you are sitting there.

I stopped all contact with the organisation dead, it was easier for me to do it that way. Have not been back in 9 years.

• gumby
    gumby

I no longer believe any of the things I was raised to believe... but for some reason I still go to the occasional meeting .

I think the bold type should be questioned.

To REALLY know what this Organisation has done to individuals and families for over 100 years.....and still attend meetings....... means it could be a few things......

1. your still unsure about it being the truth

2. Fear of what others might think of you and how they might treat you.

Why else would someone bother?

Gumby

• BadJerry
    BadJerry

Since we DA'd last Aug it was earlier than that, that I had no desire to go to any more meetings and listen to their hypocritical talks, especially the ones where they diss the Catholic Church for their pedophile problem without acknowledging their own.

what scripture that always came to mind is

Get Out Of Her My People if you do not want to share in her sins.

from IMANALIENTO logging on to Hubby's ID

• Hamas
    Hamas

I was regular and hardly missed a meeting for 20 years, I can say that honestly.

Last October, after the assembly at Dudley UK , I suddenly decided, screw it man. Im not going again.

I haven't been seen since. No slow leaving process, no word to anybody, I just left there and then. I have done more in my life since I left than I ever did in the 20 years that I was in the borg.

'You shall know the truth, and the truth will set you free' : John .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit