Can a person resign from being one of Jehovah's Witness?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• menrov
    menrov

Just below this question about leaving, there is a question of shunning and it there it says:

Those who were baptized as Jehovah’s Witnesses but no longer preach to others, perhaps even drifting away from association with fellow believers, are not shunned. In fact, we reach out to them and try to rekindle their spiritual interest.

The NOT in Italic is not mine but from the article.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I think there is a benefit if a person leaves the JW by disassociation rather than by disfellowshipping. That is, in the mind (the figurative "eyes") of those who never were JWs, if they now that the person voluntarily quit (such as by disassociating) instead of being involuntarily kicked out (such as by disfellowshipping), they will have more respect for that ex-JW person. Likewise I think if the ex-JW left by disassociation the ex-JW will have more influence with non-JWs if they write a pro atheism book and/or anti-JW religion book, than if they were disfellowshipped.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

" Those who were baptized as Jehovah’s Witnesses but no longer preach to others, perhaps even drifting away from association with fellow believers, are not shunned. In fact, we reach out to them and try to rekindle their spiritual interest. "

This is an excellent example of the way the Org lies by telling a half truth, what is called " speaking out of both sides of your mouth".

Any Baptized JW who "fades" which is what is being described above, WILL BE SHUNNED ! make no mistake about it. Yes its true that two Elders will be sent to visit you and "reach out " to you, they say "to rekindle your spiritual interest", but the reality is those two Elders want to tidy up the books, and will use the visit to try to trap you in your speech, if that doesn't work, to persuade you to write a Letter of Disassociation, then they can say to the Circuit Overseer when he comes along and questions them that they tried, but you were determined to DA.

The statement above by them is for Public consumption, every JW who has been one for a few years knows the reality, and that the statement is a LIE.

If they cannot get you to DA you are STILL SHUNNED, I am living testimony of that !

You can leave, but whatever you do, they have power over you.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

I sent a letter of resignation by way of my attorney to the secretaries of my two local congregations threatening to sue the Bodies of Elders and the WTB&TS should they make any announcement of any kind from the platform. I made it clear that they were not to darken my doorstep.

For years I was not overtly shunned when we crossed paths in public, including by my former PO/Book Study Conductor/Field Service Overseer. Of course, no JW would initiate contact except one who never really played by the rules.

I was clearly on their do not call list, but with the carts (rarely seen here) and then COVID, it's hard to know where things are. Since my in-laws are both now deceased, I couldn't care less.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Well done Sail Away, I have heard of others doing this, successfully.

The legal threat puts them on guard, it doesn't stop the rumour mill, and then some will shun you to some degree no doubt, but who cares ? you have spiked their guns as much as is possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit