Can a person resign from being one of Jehovah's Witness?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Can a Person Resign From Being One of Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Frequently Asked Questions

A man walks out of a Kingdom Hall

Yes. A person can resign from our organization in two ways:

• By formal request. Either orally or in writing, a person can state his decision that he no longer wants to be known as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

• By action. A person can take an action that places him outside our worldwide brotherhood. (1 Peter 5:9) For example, he might join another religion and make known his intention to remain part of it.​—1 John 2:​19.

However, the elders are not authorized to coerce or pressure someone to remain as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Each person makes his own choice regarding religion. (Joshua 24:15) We believe that those who worship God must do so willingly, from the heart.​—Psalm 110:3; Matthew 22:37.

There is one thing missing in this article. They leave out the part where the Elders write a brief summary, sign it and send in a form (S-77). The Elders make an announcement the congregation that, '' --------- is no longer a Jehovah's Witness. Now, you join a group of ''apostates,'' where you will be shunned.

CHAPTER 18 “SHEPHERD THE FLOCK OF GOD

4. As soon as possible after the hearing, a brief summary of the case should be prepared and signed by the committee and the Notification of Disfellowshipping or Disassociation (S-77) form should be filled out and submitted to the Service Department. (See 22:21-27.) The body of elders should be informed of the disassociation.

5. The coordinator of the body of elders should approve the announcement before an elder reads it to the congregation. It should read as follows: “[Name of person] is no longer one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.”

6. Since disassociation is an action taken by the publisher rather than the committee, there is no arrangement for an appeal. Therefore, the announcement of disassociation can be made at the next midweek meeting without waiting seven days.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i resigned in the early 70's--before 1975.

It was at the end of a committee meeting i had been invited to attend. There was no case to answer..but at the conclusion i announced i was no longer a JW and and to address me as Mr S***** or by my first name.

It must have been accepted because in early 1981 there was a d'fing of a female member of the congregation, and at the announcement i was also mentioned but couldnt be d/f'd because i hadnt been a witness for years . I was however labelled as apostate and should be treated the same as a d/f person.

But i wasnt there ..& couldnt care less.

• Overrated
    Overrated

In my case, I stopped all Jw activities. I don't know if they did their little announcement, don't give a sh!t if they did. Was force fed that crap from birth and could not wait to get away from it.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Overrated
    In my case, I stopped all Jw activities. I don't know if they did their little announcement

What if a person no longer preaches or attends your meetings? Do you view that person as having resigned?

No, we do not. Resigning, or disassociating oneself, is different from becoming weak in faith. Often, those who for a time slow down or stop in their worship have not abandoned their faith but are suffering from discouragement. Rather than shunning such ones, we try to give them consolation and support. (1 Thessalonians 5:​14; Jude 22) If the person wants help, congregation elders take the lead in providing spiritual assistance.​—Galatians 6:1; 1 Peter 5:​1-3.

• Steel
    Steel

Couldn’t you just quit as a baptized one prior without any major sanction?

• Biahi
    Biahi

As the Eagles put it-“You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave.”

• Overrated
    Overrated

Some elders tried to get my back to the meetings and such. I told them I would return if they would make me the "Boss" the only Governing Body member. They went way and have never came back.

• Steel
    Steel

What a person should tell the elders is you refuse to attend meeting because Tony Morris refuses to get help for his drinking problem. What kind of friend would I be to jehovah if I just ignored it?

If I person could do it without laughing 😆

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    In actuality, they imagine they have the right to keep track of former members right up until their death, with the date of their death being recorded in congregation records.
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

You can resign, you can leave, but you can never be totally free of the power they have over you, unless you have no relatives or friends still in the Cult.

They use family and friends to coerce you by the method known as " Shunning", an Un-Christian and Unscriptural practice.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit