JW Funeral Talk Outline

by Phizzy 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Hi all,

I wonder if someone can help ? A friend has a JW funeral coming up and wants some input if possible, so a copy of the latest Outline would be invaluable to him when he talks to the Elders, another question he and his brother, neither now JW's, wish to give a eulogy, is this allowed ?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

• Onager
    Onager

Hi Phizzy,

I did my speech at the crematorium for my grandma. I don't think that any elders are going to allow non-JW's to get up on the platform in a kingdom hall though. I think your best hope for that is to get the elder doing the talk in the hall to include *some* information about the deceased, not just that they were a great JW and did lots of ministry.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    so a copy of the latest Outline would be invaluable to him when he talks to the Elders

Can't post the latest Outline (12/16), but following are four main headings:

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED

WE NEED COMFORT AT TIMES OF LOSS

THE BIBLE GIVES A HOPE FOR THE DEAD

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE

he and his brother, neither now JW's, wish to give a eulogy, is this allowed ?

Following are the instructions from the latest outline:

. Adapt the material to match the circumstances of the deceased and the needs of grieving ones. While not overpraising the deceased, you may use events from his life throughout the talk to show how those in attendance can benefit from his example. Use good balance in this regard. You may choose to arrange a well-rehearsed interview with a brother in good standing who knew the deceased well. Any use of humor should be moderate. The dignity of the occasion should be preserved. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes. Do not invite the audience to make expressions about the deceased, as this could introduce inappropriate or unscriptural elements into the program.

• Half banana
    Half banana

A eulogy might go:

"Fred was a wonderful man, he wasn't the slightest bit interested in his religion in fact he hated it but as an example of what a good chap he was, he went along to the meetings to please Mavis..."

An ordinary church funeral could cope with this truthfulness but not the JW cult.

• tiki
    tiki

The jw funeral service isn't about the deceased....its about the religion. I wonder though if eulogies could be incorporated if the service was at a public venue or funeral home....I imagine that would be up to those arranging the event....

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Tell your friend to expect the JW's to hijack the occasion to advertise their cult.

It'll be 20% about the deceased and 80% about JW.borg. (not even Jesus/Jehovah). They'll talk about the resurrection "hope" - note, it's not even a guarantee for faithful JWs to get into paradise. Then the talk to transition into "how do we get into the new system?" and then they'll begin their their cult talk about JW.borg.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

REMARKS REGARDING THE DECEASED

[Use any that apply and are appropriate.]

Give details regarding age, birth, when married, surviving family, and so forth

Share the dedication record of the deceased, including privileges of service

Highlight exemplary qualities displayed by the deceased (Ec 7:1)

WE NEED COMFORT AT TIMES OF LOSS

Grief is a normal reaction to the loss of a loved one (Ge 23:2; 37:34, 35)

When Lazarus died, Jesus showed sympathy and provided comfort for those grieving (Joh 11:23-26, 33-35)

Jehovah God has tender feelings for those who grieve and promises to comfort them (Ps 34:18; 147:3)

THE BIBLE GIVES A HOPE FOR THE DEAD

Jehovah is the God of wisdom, justice, love, and power

Death was not part of his original purpose for mankind

Death is the result of Adam’s disobedience (Ge 2:7, 15-17; 3:19)

All of Adam’s descendants have inherited death (Ro 5:12)

God has provided a hope that is sure to be realized (Isa 55:10, 11; Re 21:4)

The Bible clearly tells us the condition of the dead

The soul is mortal (Eze 18:4, 20)

The dead are unconscious (Ps 146:4; Ec 9:5, 10)

The Bible gives hope that millions who have died will live again

The resurrection hope is made possible by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ (Mt 20:28)

Christ’s resurrection provides a guarantee (1Co 15:22, 23)

God has appointed Jesus to raise the dead (Joh 5:25, 28, 29)

Anointed Christians are resurrected to heavenly life (1Co 15:51-54; Re 20:4, 6)

Jesus’ “other sheep” will be resurrected to life in the earthly Paradise (Joh 10:16; Lu 23:43)

Those who lived and died without an opportunity to understand and apply Bible truth also have the

prospect of a resurrection (Ac 24:15)

HOW WE CAN BENEFIT FROM BEING HERE

A funeral reminds us of the brevity and uncertainty of life (Ec 9:11)

The reality of death makes us think about how we are using our life (Ps 90:12)

By the way we live, we can make “a good name” with Jehovah God (Ec 7:1-4)

Jesus said for us to store up treasures in heaven (Mt 6:19-21)

By our zealous works and godly conduct, we share in sanctifying Jehovah’s name (Pr 27:11)

The resurrection hope provides an incentive to learn and do God’s will (1Co 15:58; 1Ti 2:3, 4)

Those who do so can be certain that they will soon see their resurrected loved ones again

We should use this occasion and the days ahead to comfort one another (1Th 5:11)

As fellow believers, we can remind one another of our sure hope and provide emotional support (Pr 17:17)

We prayerfully look to Jehovah to give needed strength until he provides permanent relief (Ps 9:9, 10)

[Note: Opening with prayer is optional. The purpose of the talk is to uphold Jehovah as a God of love and mercy and at the same time bring comfort to the bereaved. Give a fine witness concerning the truth, but also make your talk warm and personal. Not all points and scriptures need to be used. Adapt the material to match the circumstances of the deceased and the needs of grieving ones. While not overpraising the deceased, you may use events from his life throughout the talk to show how those in attendance can benefit from his example. Use good balance in this regard. You may choose to arrange a well-rehearsed interview with a brother in good standing who knew the deceased well. Any use of humor should be moderate. The dignity of the occasion should be preserved. The talk need not exceed 30 minutes. Do not invite the audience to make expressions about the deceased, as this could introduce inappropriate or unscriptural elements into the program. Use of such songs as Nos. 19, 111, or 134 is optional to open or close the program or both. A brief prayer at the close is fitting. When arrangements are made to go to the grave, it is good to consider quit briefly our Kingdom hope, reading one or two scriptures, such as Job 14:14, 15 and 1 Corinthians 15:54b-57.

This service may also be closed with prayer, thanking Jehovah for the resurrection hope.]

FUNERAL DISCOURSE

S-32-E 2/16

2016 Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania

• AverageJoe1
    AverageJoe1

Here's the official outline to download from our friends at AvoidJW.org:

https://jw.servehttp.com/talk.php?is=S-32-E-16.pdf

It's the latest one dated February 2016.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Referring to what @Atlantis (thank you)posted

It just infuriates me that a women can't even read a eulogy to her dead next of kin, even if it's just a ruddy interview!!

I've gotta stop reading this forum, it's bad for my heart.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thank you all for your helpful answers, and for the links to the Outline, and for giving it above with the "instructions".

I can see this bit is the problem : " Do not invite the audience to make expressions about the deceased, as this could introduce inappropriate or unscriptural elements into the program."

What a load of controlling bollocks !!!! In the case of this particular funeral this is not a problem in that neither of them is now religious, they only wish to bring out thoughts on what a good life they were given by the deceased, neither plans to say ANYTHING religious.

But if they did, everyone is supposed to sit and listen to the JW religious view, if one of the lads happened to hold a different one, why should not everyone listen to that ?

On JW Org it says that individual JW's can make up their mind to attend a Church or whatever for a wedding or a funeral where they would have to listen to an opposing view, but in these "private" instructions it leaves no room for this. One face to the public, the opposite in private.

They really are heartless bastards the G.B

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit