Is Wokeness a Religion

by JeffT 12 Replies latest jw friends

• cofty
    cofty

Syd - 'Woke' was the self-description of the 'woke'. Then when people started pointing out their extreme behaviour they decided to get offended by the word - and so the euphemism treadmill rolls on.

Yes wokeism absolutely is a cult.

• Riley
    Riley

About ten years ago I went to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert and went to the Merch table and wanted to buy a T-Shirt with a confederate flag on it and they didn't have any ( I use to be a lot more right leaning) . I went home later and did some research and got rid of it years ago. Some African American fans said they found the symbol hurtful and they got rid of it. So did Tom Petty. No big deal.

Also about five years ago Gun and Roses made a collective decision to get rid of the song " One in a Million " from the Lies EP. The " immigrants and faggots, make so sense to me, come to our country and do what they please, start some mini Iran or spread some fucking disease, they talk so many god dam ways, its all Greek to me " .

Axle, Duff and Slash said they wrote it when they were young and knew everything. Looking back it was just rude.

I am not really sure what Woke means but I am not entirely sure it is such a bad thing. Things change, times change.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@Riley: that seems to be exactly the definition of woke, it is editing the past to make yourself seem more pure in the present. If you publish an album or t-shirt, you shouldn’t change it just because it’s offensive ‘today’, things have historical meaning, censorship in any form is bad. If you did something truly bad, say so, embrace people are fallible and change, but don’t try to hide it, because that is how you forget history and the mistakes people make.

As far as the confederate flag, that entire debacle is exactly fake history and why this re-interpretation of history shouldn’t be accepted. It was never the official flag of the South, it never represented slavery, the flag was a battle flag for Robert E. Lee, who never purchased a slave and set his (inherited) slaves free at the beginning of the Civil War. Ulysses S. Grant on the ‘union’ side purchased slaves and held onto his slaves until after the war because ‘good help was expensive and hard to find’. The North actually didn’t completely eradicate slavery either, the Emancipation Proclamation only applied to the southern states and wasn’t completely ratified in the North until Delaware ratified the Emancipation Proclamation in 1901.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit