Door to Door

by pontoon 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pontoon
    pontoon

Just wondering if the Witnesses still go door to door. Once in a while I see them doing their cart work and my still in relatives talk about going out in cart work, never mention door to door. I haven't had a knock on my door since probably 2 years before covid. I'll say when they ended the cong book study is when things really started going downhill for congregation spirit and enthusiasm. My opinion..

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

I had a couple knock on our door about April (March?) last year. I blasted them about how they stopped doing the door to door work during the lockdowns, due to the directive from "your cowardly Governing Body" (I also slipped in a reference to the UN). "But it was a government mandate!" "You've defied those before!" She conceded "Yes, we have" and they excused themselves to keep going.

I haven't had any visits since.

There are people in town with a trolley occasionally, but they don't ever look approachable, so I don't bother even trying to talk to them. I hear they aren't up for robust discussion these days anyway.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

It's OK, Jesus never instructed anyone to go door to door. Neither did the apostles. And it is unlikely that the early Christians went door to door on Saturday mornings or any other mornings before they took a break for coffee and donuts.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    NotFormer - I had a couple knock on our door about April (March?) last year. I blasted them about how they stopped doing the door to door work during the lockdowns, due to the directive from ‘your cowardly Governing Body’ (I also slipped in a reference to the UN). ‘But it was a government mandate!’ ‘You've defied those before!’ She conceded ‘Yes, we have’ and they excused themselves to keep going…”

Ouch…I actually feel kinda sorry for her… I hope you weren’t too mean about it.

🤨

Although…

…ten bucks says householders like you are the reason the Org’s phasing out the door-to-door work faster than you can say “knock, knock”.

😏

• hoser
    hoser

Yes they do, but it’s not like it used to be.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Yeah, Vidiot, not my proudest moment. I seem to remember having been quite unwell (not in any contagious way) on the day, so I wasn't particularly patient with them. Also, IIRC, I was probably still a bit shellshocked after finding out that they stopped going door to door during you-know-what. It's a bit like the Catholic church suddenly saying Peter wasn't the first pope. Door to door was THE proof that they were God's true religion, right up until it wasn't.

Your instinct to always follow the money and their charitable status is probably at play here. Door to door work doesn't bring in any money any more, so it doesn't matter.

Which begs the question, if the door to door work doesn't matter, what does?

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

"ten bucks says householders like you are the reason the Org’s phasing out the door-to-door work faster than you can say “knock, knock"

I always enjoy a robust conversation on the doorstep. I'm usually more congenial. As I said, I wasn't well on the day.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

Door to door has been scaled back to almost nothing. Tens mins is topical then coffee break.

these days it’s more about getting together before and after the ten mins preaching.

We have a hybrid zoom/in person ministry group 10:30am. People meet up on zoom starting 10 for a good old chat. Then those arrive in person to chat to those on zoom. The group starts at 10:30 for ten mins to chat about a scripture then prayer then chat for another half an hour about who is working with who.

then we say goodbye to those on zoom who are supposed to be letter writing but they just chat.

Some in person go to door to door but most say they are going’on calls’ or street witnessing

then we all meet up for lunch at someone’s home, whoever’s turn it is. Everyone brings interesting food from all over the world. There is always lots of left overs

the zoom lot join in back with us and we catch up on the gossip whatever they have been chatting about.

the ministry aspect really is just an excuse for a social club.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

NotFormer: I haven't had any visits since.

I guess they still keep those little sheets where they jot down the doors to avoid.

• Mikejw
    Mikejw

Tonus in the UK and other GDPR lands we are not allowed to write anything down. Unless someone asks us to write down to be a DNC then we write down lots of details and it is stored. This is because someone asked us to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit