Thorn in the flesh

by Seven 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Seven
    Seven

What was Paul's thorn in the flesh? What was it's real character?

• Simon
    Simon

Wasn't one of them bad eyesight? I'm sure I read that somewhere.
    Was that the sort of thing you were thinking of Seven?

• Seven
    Seven

Simon-I was reading somewhere online where it was thought that Paul suffered from epilepsy. I had never heard of such a thing and wanted to post this here and see what others may know of this. I'm certain that the scriptures spoke of a bodily affliction and not his work as an apostle. I wish I would have bookmarked the site because it also discussed Paul being married.

Seven

• Zep
    Zep

i heard Paul was a homosexual....thats what that rev Spong reckons anyway...hes that liberal catholic priest who ordained gays!

• Carmel
    Carmel

Seven,

I don't think Paul was ever considered to be an epileptic unless that is the rationale for falling off his *ss onto his *ss! Muhammed was accused of such as he described the effects of receiving revelations, His detractors blamed it on blackouts due to epilepsy.

The problem with Paul (IMHO) was his inflated ego which gave rise to lots of problems, not the least of which was his attitude toward women. Something not taught by Jesus.

carmel

• Seven
    Seven

Carmel, Since Paul was a member of the Sanhedrin wasn't it required that all members of that council be married and fathers of families? It had something to do with being more inclined to merciful judgment. It's just a thought. There is no evidence to show that he was ever married.

• Simon
    Simon

I thought that all or most of the apostles were married except Paul?
    I need to read up on this one.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

There is nothing in the scriptures that tell us what this 'thorn' was. It could very well have been poor eyesight (Gal 6:11) maybe even as a result of the blinding vision that he received although one would suppose that God would be able to give the guy a vision without frying his optic nerve!
    ...He wouldn't have talked like that about women if he was married...at least not if his wife read his letters!

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Seven
    Seven

Frenchy, Some early writers such as Malalus and Nicephorus described Paul as being extremely short of stature-barely 5' tall by our system of measurement. IMO this could have much to do with his attitude toward women.

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Seven, you think Paul may have had just a tiny bit of a Napoleon complex? I'm a full six feet tall (not unusual by today's standards at all) and I find that I have the most problems with guys that are short! What's the woman's viewpoint of a semi-midget?

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit